• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Call For Humor!

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
73be4d3dca27fcb9ead98a98d528256385f8397726e39c69c1ec9c199288f30d.jpg

Ageve

The world can be divided into two groups: countries that use the metric system and those that have launched a craft that landed on the moon.

Skärmavbild 2023-02-27 kl. 12.24.08.png

NASA/SpaceX launch to the ISS:
Skärmavbild 2023-02-27 kl. 12.35.19.png

6072917e1d1d80b1b7c3a996e81e77ad--metric-system-science-humor.jpg

bkatbamna

Ageve

Great response to a point that you think I made but I didn't. NASA isn't a country.

As far as I know, the Apollo lander was developed and launched by NASA, not by a country. If your point was that the imperial system is great, because NASA is an american space agency, then sure, whatever you say. ;)

drunken-lobster.jpg

americans-will-use-anything-but-the-metric-system-27-memes-4.jpg

;)

bkatbamna

As far as I know, the Apollo lander was developed and launched by NASA, not by a country. If your point was that the imperial system is great, because NASA is an american space agency, then sure, whatever you say. ;)

View attachment 267998

View attachment 267999

;)
My point was that the world can be divided into countries that use the metric system and countries that have sent men to the moon.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 267998

View attachment 267999

;)
Well the only exact conversion to the USA system of measure is 2.54 centimeters per inch. That and knowing that one cubic centimeter is 1 gram you can do almost all the conversions you need. It might get a bit messy and all, but hey. Then we still end up with the recently infamous balloon which was the size of 6 school buses. What is the metric conversion to Euro school buses? You have short tons, long tons (tonnes in the UK), and metric tons, but this is before we get to the short bus.

The funny thing is if you grew up with all this you know all or mostly all the goofy USA measures without even thinking about it. So while metric is simpler and makes more sense it won't be easier than what you grew up with. I'm not even sure metric is always better for conversions. Awfully easy to simply botch a decimal point somewhere. The numbers look right and all, but may be off by orders of magnitude.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My point was that the world can be divided into countries that use the metric system and countries that have sent men to the moon.
I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering, a career in the medical field and have had to convert things in many different systems, (look up catheter French sizes sometime). I do a lot of woodworking and carpentry and there is no justification for having to work in fractions of an inch.

Top Bottom