• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Call For Humor!

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
b52c00a98d3dc970bb70acb4c34ce0421d6c7e6535ae6370cae1d3f84c400e66.jpg

Waxx

Major Contributor
In the UK shortening names isn’t meant to be disrespectful, in many ways it’s a sign of friendship and acceptance. Very few given names aren’t shortened in general conversation. If ever I’m called Ronald do wonder why they’re being too formal or are they taking the P***. Cultural differences are common around the World and it’s very easy to take offence were none exists.
It's similar like in Belgium, where you mostly got a nickname that is often referring to a certain physical anomaly or strange behaviour you have. And if a best friend don't use offending talk to you from time to time, he is not your best friend. For outsiders it's very rude, but it's normal and traditional behaviour here, that certainly on the countryside is general practiced. I was often called "de stoake" ("the pole" in Westflemish, my mothertongue) as kid because i was very tall for my age, and extremely skinny and stiff/not so agile in my movements... And my best friend in my early teenage years was called "Durracel" because of his heavy ADHD behaviour.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
In the UK shortening names isn’t meant to be disrespectful, in many ways it’s a sign of friendship and acceptance. Very few given names aren’t shortened in general conversation. If ever I’m called Ronald do wonder why they’re being too formal or are they taking the P***. Cultural differences are common around the World and it’s very easy to take offence were none exists.
At work it often strikes me how quickly my name (user name backwards) gets abbreviated by US and UK people. No problem at all, I actually kind of like it.

In NL only friends and family would call me Alex, and only when my mother's not around. :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is plain wrong, the boys should have reported this as an act of bullying. Young people should learn to embrace diversity, and that a given name is part of our own identity.
Depends upon the boys actually. They may have liked having nicknames instead of their given name. A unique identity that only friends in school know.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
That's disgusting !
So disrespectful to women, they are not toilets, or toilet related.
Somebody sick in mind must have come up with this design.
Really dehumanizing for the poor girl attendant.
That's why the men like it. But, I can't say that publicly.......men sometimes have disgusting humor!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
That is plain wrong, the boys should have reported this as an act of bullying. Young people should learn to embrace diversity, and that a given name is part of our own identity.
If they want to identify with Cash and Check, let them. I support there independence to have silly names.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It was at first or second grade while in primary school.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At work it often strikes me how quickly my name (user name backwards) gets abbreviated by US and UK people. No problem at all, I actually kind of like it.

In NL only friends and family would call me Alex, and only when my mother's not around. :)
Does anybody really think my actual first name is Ken?
or even Kenneth ?
It was chosen by myself because of repeated mispronunciation by English people.
So I am Ken now! :cool:

index.php

The fourth one, is either Jewish or Muslim! and only pretending, in case someone is watching.
Everybody likes a bit of bacon! pill or not.

Last edited:

blackmetalboon

Does anybody really think my actual first name is Ken?
or even Kenneth ?
It was chosen by myself because of repeated mispronunciation by English people.
So I am Ken now! :cool:

When I was in my teens my main social group of friends where from my school, they all called me by my nickname. There were even times when my teachers accidentally called me by my nickname. I went to college after school along with the bulk of my closest school friends who always introduced me to people by my nickname.

From the age of 16 to my 30’s I had four main social groups of friends and three football teams that I played for, most had a member of my school friends or I had met them while out with my school friends. In all these cases I was always introduced using or called by my nickname. Apart from my immediate family and work colleagues, I had groups of friends and team mates that for years did not know my real name.

Lookingback on it now, it seems crazy that I was good friends with people for years and they did not even know my name!

bkatbamna

I am Iranian by heritage. (So is Amir).
A friend called his boys:
- Khashayar
- Chekavak
both are common boys names in Persian (ancient kings). All was fine, until they went to school in Yorkshire, UK.
since their names was a bit of a mouthful, their mates shortened them, to
Cash and Cheque!
Then the boys did start grunting at their dad :(:facepalm:
That isn't too bad. The following are real names in my language:
Hardik
Diptesh

birdog1960

That isn't too bad. The following are real names in my language:
Hardik
Diptesh
My godfather didn't need a nickname, his real name was Harry Dangler...absolutely true. There was also a urologist on staff in an Ohio hospital named Richard (Dick) Tapper. Not sure if he's still there.

blackmetalboon

My godfather didn't need a nickname, his real name was Harry Dangler...absolutely true. There was also a urologist on staff in an Ohio hospital named Richard (Dick) Tapper. Not sure if he's still there.

I am not making this up but one of my friends is named Richard John Seaman. Or as we occasionally call him Dick Johnny Spunk! I‘m not sure if
his parents were ignorant or just hated him!

Last edited:

Scrappy

I’m somewhat widely known by my nickname in my audio field. Favorite is when folks visit from other shops and go “Ohh you’re [nickname]!” Haha. Actually has become a tradition, as my predecessor went by his nickname for 40+ years. Hell, it pre-dated email so his email was [nickname]@[company].com. Gotta love it.

Top Bottom