• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Call For Humor!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
... and this little bon mot.

ye25cp35h7bf.jpeg

digicidal

Major Contributor
Acid Rock and Heavy Metal are NOT the same thing.
No shit. Exactly my point - although Iron Butterfly did blur the lines a bit during the transition period. At the time (mid 70's through early 80's) the 50 year olds giving the lectures were quite eager to lump anything that wasn't choir music into the "Acid Rock" category. Presumably because it made you a drug addict as well as a Satanist, and "Heavy Metal" or just "Metal" didn't carry the same stigma? I'm pretty sure most of them considered the fare on the Laurence Welk Show to be "a bit untoward but still acceptable" - after all, some of the dancers weren't even married. :eek:

Meanwhile I bet half of them (or more) were molesting children in their spare time. :rolleyes:

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No shit. Exactly my point - although Iron Butterfly did blur the lines a bit during the transition period. At the time (mid 70's through early 80's) the 50 year olds giving the lectures were quite eager to lump anything that wasn't choir music into the "Acid Rock" category. Presumably because it made you a drug addict as well as a Satanist, and "Heavy Metal" or just "Metal" didn't carry the same stigma? I'm pretty sure most of them considered the fare on the Laurence Welk Show to be "a bit untoward but still acceptable" - after all, some of the dancers weren't even married. :eek:

Meanwhile I bet half of them (or more) were molesting children in their spare time. :rolleyes:
It's funny. I remember satanism being tied far more to metal than to acid rock. Acid rock, to me, was trippy, no negative devil vibes, man. Metal was bikes and boobs.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ln2EOzh.jpeg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1w59SYs.jpeg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hT3RTX2.jpeg

fU81Cm4.jpeg

vpiqySf.jpeg

2r7wNaV.jpeg

VBcpq1Z.jpeg

0Fb98gz.jpeg

qQkelL0.jpeg

WSHq64Z.jpeg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
h8YrWlo.jpeg

Bleib

Major Contributor
284021564-563468195140894-5679107716876554264-n.jpg
marketplace-shaming-165-628dc93f88114-700.jpg
marketplace-shaming-169-628dcc8758846-700.jpg
marketplace-shaming-3-628e2a6f6c8c1-700.jpg

xykreinov

Forum Donor
I remember my friend in middle school giving the old family room couch a "custom cheetah print" treatment. He started picking at the fake leather and couldn't stop until the middle cushion was nearly bare.
My parents threw out the couch years ago, but still occasionally argue about whether it was the dog or cat to this day.

digicidal

Major Contributor
It's funny. I remember satanism being tied far more to metal than to acid rock. Acid rock, to me, was trippy, no negative devil vibes, man. Metal was bikes and boobs.
Same (even at the time). This was at the very beginning of the "secret backward messages" phase of fundamentalists doing horrible things to vinyl on a daily basis - so you needed to be able to include The Beatles and Jefferson Airplane along with Led Zeppelin and AC/DC somehow. By the early 80's the dangers of acid rock had been forgotten because Satan had gotten in all the corn flakes. Although, by then they were doing a similar thing with punk & techno.

Very weird times... although looking at many of the conspiracy theories surrounding video games and social media now... the more things change, the more they sound the same. :rolleyes: Now some topical silliness:

iu

iu

Top Bottom