• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Call For Humor!

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
the video your wife took would probably suit this thread :D

and btw...

0bb.jpg

edit:
OH FFS....THE TIMING

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think I've told y'all this before. Mrs. H took an extended trip to Australia to go birding ca. 2010. She had a great time -- but not without a few scary moments. One involved a run-in with leeches in a field they traversed. Lots of leeches.
The other one was a close encounter with a cassowary. Fortunately, a female cassowary.

:)

Holmz

Major Contributor
the video your wife took would probably suit this thread :D

I do not post naked videos from midnight, but she still laughs about it.
Plus she was (wo)maning the front door. Or is it theming the front door?

The bastards are nocturnal, so it is usually when headed to bed that one sees them looking for some version of a takeaway meal.
And they can go upside down on the ceiling from wall to wall in a few seconds.

A 3 foot, or car sized one, would be a bit frightful for most people.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yeah, they jump and kick. The males guard the eggs and are quite defensive about it. Possibly because the females are out laying eggs in other males' nests.

DAF-FNQ

I read this news story a few years back, and it stuck in my mind because the cassowary is unfortunately rare in Australia, so I was surprised there are breeders in the U.S.

Cassowary kills suspected breeder in Florida
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-14/florida-man-killed-by-cassowary/11001692

Autopsy released on cassowary attack that killed Florida man
https://www.wptv.com/news/state/autopsy-released-on-cassowary-attack-that-killed-florida-man

By luck I spotted two about a month ago, but as I was driving I couldn’t stop to get a photo of them. They are very impressive birds in the wild.

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
emu.jpg
A friend of mine had an emu farm closeby. Mainly for the oil, meat and some feathers. He wasn't worried in the slightest about emus, spear tackling them to get them in the yards if necessary. We've got them in the wild also around us. They leave you alone [unless you start feeding them which is a bad idea] and make this low 'whoomph' chest sound. They are a beautiful animal maybe up to 2 meters tall. And, even though their brains are physically about the size of a walnut, they are *far* smarter than a typical 20th century army. Please enjoy, and yes, I'm not kidding. https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2016/10/on-this-day-the-emu-wars-begin/

Top Bottom