• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Call For Humor!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The following made me smile. It's from John Hardy, maker of world famous mic amps based on the late Deane Jensen's 990C discrete op amp circuit. A review of some coffee makers found in a church kitchen (as if the JAES were reviewing coffee brewing). Serious, but humorous.

How Mr. Hardy had time for this in addition to manufacturing some of the world's best microphone preamps is a mystery to me.

Warning: it's a PDF download, and not a link to a readable Web page.

www.johnhardyco.com/pdf/TheCoffeeReport.pdf

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The following made me smile. It's from John Hardy, maker of world famous mic amps based on the late Deane Jensen's 990C discrete op amp circuit. A review of some coffee makers found in a church kitchen (as if the JAES were reviewing coffee brewing). Serious, but humorous.

How Mr. Hardy had time for this in addition to manufacturing some of the world's best microphone preamps is a mystery to me.

What is it about American coffee? As an Italian, coffee for me is taken in small cups, 50ml (2oz in old money) at most, not in a bucket as I see most Americans drinking coffee. Also, no milk. Milk is for cows or making cheese, not for adults to drink, especially not in coffee. Sugar is optional, although I don't put any in my coffee (or tea).

Filter coffee is fine if made and drunk immediately, not left seething on a hotplate for hours as in most US offices I've been in. Furthermore, if you're making filter coffee, use a decent amount, if you can see through the coffee, you didn't use enough!

Finally, the very idea of buying a bucket of coffee, then drinking it in a car over a few hours is totally nasty. Coffee should be made and drunk within seconds or minutes at most.

There, I should have upset enough people by now, so rant over!

S.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't see anything funny about that, it's basic good advice for bulk coffee brewing for none hipsters.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It's amazing what a man can be driven to do by constant nagging ..,

It's win win for the Mrs, she either gets the TV working or a insurance pay out.

Clearly, it's something to be taken seriously. Maybe we can get Drs. Fauci and Birx to issue a statement.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/01/8250...-lock-down-malaysias-government-advises-women

malaysia_custom-ad86c7b8893ca8a0535a40c5dd3e0534fc29c610-s1600-c85.jpg

Avoid Wearing Home Clothes. Dress up as usual, dress up and dress neatly.

The ministry also advised women to refrain from being "sarcastic" if they asked for help with household chores. And it urged women working from home to dress up and wear makeup.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Clearly, it's something to be taken seriously. Maybe we can get Drs. Fauci and Birx to issue a statement.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/01/8250...-lock-down-malaysias-government-advises-women

View attachment 56844

Avoid Wearing Home Clothes. Dress up as usual, dress up and dress neatly.

The ministry also advised women to refrain from being "sarcastic" if they asked for help with household chores. And it urged women working from home to dress up and wear makeup.
If god intended man and woman to spend all their time together he would of not invented the shed / garage / the place you can put ya shit where you want and the Mrs never goes, it's outside, it's not got integral heating, it's damp and smells of oil and wood shavings but it's yours .. at least until the divorce.

Then you just get to look at it from the sidewalk when you pick the kids up once a month ha ha

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see anything funny about that, it's basic good advice for bulk coffee brewing for none hipsters.
I said it made me smile. Not laugh. He is quite serious--or at least one would suspect that from the details he worked out. But at the same time, I also suspect there was some tongue-in-cheek about it all. Had to be. One thing is clear, the man approaches his coffee with the same dedication as his mic preamps!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is it about American coffee?
I've had it all. And about 80% has been questionable. Looking in the cupboard I find two French presses, a couple of Melita wedges, a Chemex lab cone, electric grinder, some beans and ground packs, Turkish coffee with cardomom infusion, plus a bag of something similar from Jordan--the latter two you have to boil in a special way.

If I'm out 'n about I'll drink something from the do-nut shop. I don't understand the appeal of that ubiquitous burnt black mess from Seattle--maybe on par with what you'd find sitting in the office Mr. Coffee machine, several hours after it's been brewed.

Best coffee? Years ago I had an acquaintance who owned a coffee farm in Costa Rica. He sent me a half wrapped package of beans. Freshly roasted. I threw the package in the passenger seat of my MG Midge (canary yellow with luggage rack and tonneau cover) and on the drive home the bean fumes were so strong that I was getting caffeine-nervous from breathing them. Wonderful. Or maybe there was something else in those beans. LOL

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I don't understand the appeal of that ubiquitous burnt black mess from Seattle--maybe on par with what you'd find sitting in the office Mr. Coffee machine, several hours after it's been brewed.

I'm with you there...coffee made from oily black burnt beans is not my cup of tea.

I roast my own coffee from coffee bought green in bulk, and while I will vary the darkness of the roast, would literally dump the shit they roast straight into the trash...outside. Nasty...

These are a few of my favorite things...:

0402200803.jpg

I drink it by the gallon...

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm with you there...coffee made from oily black burnt beans is not my cup of tea.

I roast my own coffee from coffee bought green in bulk, and while I will vary the darkness of the roast, would literally dump the shit they roast straight into the trash...outside. Nasty...

These are a few of my favorite things...:

View attachment 56853

I drink it by the gallon...
I home roasted for years, gave up when I found the professionals were better than I could manage, and how effective freezing fresh beans is.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He is quite serious--or at least one would suspect that from the details he worked out. But at the same time, I also suspect there was some tongue-in-cheek about it all. Had to be.
Obviously different perspectives, I read it all as someone that was deliberately watering down* their real opinion so there was more chance of them implementing his recommendations.

* american coffee pun intended

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I home roasted for years, gave up when I found the professionals were better than I could manage, and how effective freezing fresh beans is.

No argument at all...

I struggled until I started using this Roaster early on, and now after about 15 years with it I think I've got it pretty close at least. I will still stop by our local roaster and pick up beans I might want to try (before buying 20lbs of it), and I can't taste the difference once I dial in the roast.

I had no luck with any of the blowing air/popcorn roaster types... Anyway. Far off topic. Sorry 'bout that. Must be bored...I'm taking pictures of my coffee.

Side benefit...maybe 1/3 the cost for the green beans...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
^^^ And Heisenberg may or may not have slept here.

Speaking of Audiophile humo(u)r and/or parodies -- this popped up yesterday. Hmm... yesterday... the first day of April...

Top Bottom