• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A bit out of the meta and looking for DAC / Amp advice...

Alastor

As the title says, I've been out of the loop for some time and as I was browsing for some new gear I was shocked by the amount of options. Which is good, but also kinda bad, especially because I'm looking to buy two dac/amps in the near future and I need to make up my mind on both x__x

My situation: I'm looking for a portable dac/amp to use mainly to power my headphones when I'm on my laptop. I tend to use Superlux HD669 at home and Takstar Pro82 when I'm outside. According to my research, the Topping NX4 seems to be a pretty ideal product for me and I could also "recycle" as an amp for my phone/dap, which is a bonus. Is there any other dac/amp in that price range that I should be looking at?

Now for other dac related question: on my desktop I'm using an Asus Xonar U7 1st gen. feeding my Pioneer 531 which powers a 5.1 setup (Tannoy Mercury accompanied by some Taiwanese speakers that are only produced and sold here). I do like the setup for movies, but it doesn't blow me away for music. I had this weird idea of getting a new dac/amp that can output to a powered subwoofer and use the Tannoy + subwoofer (or headphones) for music, then swap cables back to the Xonar+Pioneer for movies. I haven't found many desktop dac/amps that can fit the bill. I think the SMSL AD18 was one of them, but I'm sure there have to be more options out there. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom