• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A bit about your host....

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think he has measured anything from Denafrips. I believe they refused to send him something to sample.
Which I would expect from a DAC company that uses R2R tech. As with NOS, R2R DACs are being made mostly because there is a market for it (people believing it’s superior) and usually not because the designers believe it’s the most accurate approach they can take.

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Which I would expect from a DAC company that uses R2R tech. As with NOS, R2R DAC: are being made mostly because their is a market for it (people believing it’s superior) and usually not because the designers believe it’s the most accurate approach they can take.
That's exactly what I was thinking!

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's exactly what I was thinking!
Also, not only do they not disclosure they use AKM DACs (not uncommon), they literally scratch the logo off, as seen in the interior shots. That reason alone makes me cautious.

Oh, and their ~$4000 Terminator states THD+N of 100dB, which the $9 Apple dongle DAC is able to achieve.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Also, not only do they not disclosure they use AKM DACs (not uncommon), they literally scratch the logo off, as seen in the interior shots. That reason alone makes me cautious.

Oh, and their ~$4000 Terminator states THD+N of 100dB, which the $9 Apple dongle DAC is able to achieve.
Its all about the marketing... just like Audio-GD.
I recently had a friend audition a tube amp hybrid that cost $5000 and had a THD+N of 83db.... This was one of the only specs provided.... It blew my mind in terms of cost to performance haha

ajawamnet

Talk about scratching marks off of chips - Have you seen what Dumble is selling guitar amps for?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumble_Amplifiers

"Dumble amplifiers are the most expensive boutique amplifiers on the used market,[1] and prices have risen rapidly. In 2012, Vintage Guitar magazine described the Dumble Overdrive Special as the most valuable in the product line, with used amplifiers fetching between $70,000 and $150,000.[2] Other examples have sold for more.[3] "

He started out mod'ing Fender amps.

I've modified Fender amps and others; I guess I just suck at business...

Maz1

Just read through your introduction Amir and I must say i'm thoroughly impressed. After more than a decade of lurking around in Head-fi and likes (and wasting quite a bit of money in the process..) I wish you retired earlier and opened this website sooner heh. Thank you for educating us who were led towards the dark side being lured by $1000 cables. Wish you best of luck in your current projects and keep this website/forum running!

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I used to teach at college/university level. Pay was horrible but there was this great feeling of students appreciating what you did which motivated me to do it for years

Perhaps the most satisfying and fun experience I had was teaching at the graduate level. And the pay was terrible...

I recently found your forum and consider it both educational and a joy!

We are likely contemporaries

Tillman

Wombat

Master Contributor
The daunting question re resumes is recency?.

oldsysop

:cool:
2210_0643.jpg

Wombat

Master Contributor
No particularly obvious grey hair there. :rolleyes:

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

raif71

Major Contributor
Thank you for this wonderful site, is all I can say :). I'm a 70s child and your bit about introducing yourself as host of this site reminds me of the famous line from Fantasy Island (modified to fit this site) ... "My dear guests, my name is Amir Majidimehr , your host. Welcome to Audio Science Review!". Of course, this site is no fantasy :)

orangejello

Just wanted to say thanks again. I too have loved this hobby since I got my AR turntable and Marantz amp back in the late Sixties. I took the Math/Physics path, and I too wound up in Computer Science. My first significant job was working on the Multics operating system which was the precursor to Unix. Legend has it that “Unix” is a pun on the word eunuch. It was conceived to be Multics without the balls. More kindly, it was a stripped down Multics. Finished up my career working on 3D visual representations of physical/virtual network layers. Reading the breath of your bio, all I can say is congrats. Sounds like you really enjoyed the ride!

I really appreciate the tone that you set for the site and the authority that you exercise in maintaining it. I am not a strict objectivist fundamentalist, but I very, very much appreciate that as a basis for discussion of audio.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I am not a strict objectivist fundamentalist, but I very, very much appreciate that as a basis for discussion of audio.

This is a great way of describing what many people on this site feel.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Pilot

I came across audiosciencereview.com just recently and felt compelled to join. It may well be the only source which I feel I can completely trust, on audio knowledge and reviews.

I was around when the Internet wasn't a thing and I am hard pressed to remember another occasion when I just had to join a site. Going over Amirm's introduction made it clear to me where audiosciencereview quality comes from.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Amir.

Just wanted to say I use to have a A42 a 53 and a pinnacle lighting and a Sony Oxford which i think used Unix much later on my trucks . Did you have anything to do with them? At the time these were the things to have . Now trucks are much much different.

Top Bottom