• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Beginner who need advice to buy a DAC and AMP.

Toshinden

Hello,
I recently discovered the 'audiophile' universe
Having bought a Sennheiser HD 600 headphones thanks to the tips found on the net because I wanted one for the quality of voice and sound fidelity from my audio files.
I discovered that the sound was very weak due to its impedance of 300 ohm.

After several research, I have to buy a DAC and a separate AMP (not in combo) for my office installation.
In my mind I thought separate DAC and AMP its better because each device is "more specialized" so i will encounter less issue/problems and have better quality/price/values?!

I have a budget of 600 €

(My comments will obviously be from an amateur point of view, so please be tolerant.)

I continued my research and 'apparently' the DAC and AMP can alter the origin of my audio files and their data another sound / another 'color' / a clean signature with respect to different brands.
I have also seen that it is better to have an AMP with an XLR input which cancels 'interference / defaults' that would have those with jack inputs.

In reference to some tests and the SINAD graph of @amirm

At the moment I see that the THY massdrop AMPs AAA and Jds Atom are very recommended but the atom jds has no input XLR ...
In addition the Massdrop has some additional options such as THX and DIRAC.
Do these technologies greatly increase the listening experience?

I know Massdrop AMP is out of stock but i can wait,i dont know if the Monolith THX AAA has the exact same specifications?!

Regarding the DAC, there is the SMSL SU-8, Topping D70, Allo Katana, Khadas etc ...

I would need your expert business advice to help me to purchase a DAC and AMP with the best ratio / quality / price according to my 600 € budget that does not alter the originality of my sound files for my headphones Sennheiser HD 600.
I dont mind to put extra money if i can get better ratio / quality / price.

PS: English is not my mother tongue, I apologize in advance for my grammar.

Last edited:
OP
T

Toshinden

Sorry for double post ;if a moderator is here to delete it please.
Thank you

reza

The differences between DACs are not as large as reading around on the internet would have you believe. Pick whichever that looks better to you or offers the features you want. As for the amplifier, the JDS Labs Atom gets a lot of praise. Personally, I picked up a topping NX4, DAC and amp combo, to go with my DT880 600 Ohm and I'm very happy with it. If you can stretch your budget, pick a DAC that supports convolution filtering, or use a windows powered computer for playback. The most notable improvement I got with my headphone was by applying correction filters in Equalizer APO in windows.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amp probably yes, DAC probably not. Unless whatever DAC you are using is one of the outliers which has been badly designed then it is probably quite sufficient. For an amp the JDS Atom is superb, as good as anything in terms of SQ and cheap. Great company too.

One tip if you are new to audio, do not assume that more expensive means better or judge audio gear by price. Especially for DACs and headphone amps the points of audible transparency and diminishing returns are much lower down the price scale than most magazines and subjective types would like us to believe.

Bob-23

I prefer a modular system, too. I combine the HD 600 with an (selfmade) Objective 2, among others - it's true, the Atom measures a bit better, but I guess, the difference between the two of them is beyond audibility for most of us. The O2 has a metal case, instead of the plastic case of the Atom; apart from the looks and the feels, the metal case might have a better shielding, but as I understand Amir's measurements, he did not notice any negative effect of the non-shielding, so that may be no problem...

The Atom has two muting relays, muting the switch-on transients, which is a good idea - if the relays are of a good quality, and provide a long life expectancy, if not: cheap relays will probably be the first parts in the amp that fail. The O2 has a certain turn-on muting, too, done with capacitors (only) instead of relays (plus capacitors), it's probably not as effective as the one in the Atom, but it may be sufficient. With regard to the O2: If you don't switch AC (i.e. don't switch the power supply itself, but use for switching only the switch on the case), then I'd say, you won't have problems with the turn-on transients.

Instead, or better, additional to the muting of the switch-on transients, I'd like to see in both the Atom and the O2, a DC-protection circuit with relays, in case an op-amp fails and floods your headphones with potentially high levels of DC (12V-15V, e.g.) which they most probably woudn't survive. I built in my O2 the "epsilon12 DC muting/protect circuit" of AMB, which not only mutes the headphones when switching on but also instantaneously mutes when there is DC at the output, surmounting a certain minimal 'allowed' level (I modified the circuit slightly). This is a simple but very effective muting circuit... can highly recommend that intelligent circuit. But you have to know how to use a soldering iron, if you don't, there my be any friend of yours who can do it for you, the circuit is not that compex... But, of course, the implementation of the circuit in an amp is also not that easy, provided there's enough space in the case... If you build an amp from scratch the implementation is easy. Efficient DC-Protection should be standard in a modern headphone amp.

BTW, Solderdude once developed a particular amp for the HD 600, lifting the bass a bit, and lowering the highs a bit (the headphones, which are otherwise great, lack a bit of subbass, and Coltrane's or Garbarek's sopran sax may sometimes be a bit aching, at least for me it is...) Look on Solderdude's website DIY Audio Heaven, where you'd also find detailed reviews and measurings of headphones, he measured the HD 600, too.

As a DAC you may use the Topping D30, I use the Behringer UMC204HD, as a DAC only, it's a sturdy, solid build, fully metal, with soft going potentiometers, "a unit (which) does everything but wash dishes" as Amir put it in his review. I don't use the headphone-out for hifi-listening. The UMC204HD is first of all an audio interface, and, I guess, the headphone-out is made primarily for monitoring while recording, rather than for critical hifi listening. But as a DAC, it's good, Today I'd probably go for the D30, but, then again, I strongly doubt I would hear any difference between the two of them, but maybe there is people (younger than me and/or 'golden eared') who do.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
There are measurements of monoprice 788 here.
Combo often have better values for the price because power supply, chassis are shared.
Why do you need xlr?
I recommend d30 + atom or dx3pro combo.

OP
T

Toshinden

Today,i did check more informations about DAC and AMP(to tell you the truth its a little bit overwhelming) @_@!
I saw this video :

This is impressive and i start to regret buying a jds atom...
In my opinion ,overall its better to have a balance audio cable.

i was interested about this linear power supply:
(https://www.ebay.com/itm/25W-Talema...100672?hash=item1ef22db540:g:zggAAOSwkERcNGPp)

This LPS really improve DAC device or it is meaningless?!

Bob-23

You don't need a balanced cable if you're not using very long cables as musicians do. Nevertheless it always makes sense not to run power cables directly parallel to signal cables but rather cross them if necessary.

You can test it yourself, don't play any music, listen at max. volume - do you hear any noise? Sometimes, in these demonstrations, they don't plug in the RCA-cable into the the output of the source/DAC . Then you'll probably hear a lot of noise but as soon as you plug the cable into the RCA of the source, noise is going to disappear very likely.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Today,i did check more informations about DAC and AMP(to tell you the truth its a little bit overwhelming) @_@!
I saw this video :

This is impressive and i start to regret buying a jds atom...
In my opinion ,overall its better to have a balance audio cable.

i was interested about this linear power supply:
(https://www.ebay.com/itm/25W-Talema...100672?hash=item1ef22db540:g:zggAAOSwkERcNGPp)

This LPS really improve DAC device or it is meaningless?!
We already have 0.000x% distortion with jds stom. And thanks to the low ground impedance and output impedance. Please don't just gather information from all over the place without using critical thinking and a bit of knowledge.

Top Bottom