• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A $15k music streamer reviewed on stereophile

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It’s got better bits than your average streamer. “Bits, it seems, aren't bits, or not only. A digital datastream is also an analog signal. Noise and other signal errors endemic to multi-function computers not designed primarily for music playback can affect how music sounds.”

Read the article for more audiophile jargon. I guess stereophile really has a thing for expensive streamers. They are the new “cables” of the industry.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Lol.
Funny enough for make happy the vinyl/TT guys
1633016277003.png

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s got better bits than your average streamer. “Bits, it seems, aren't bits, or not only. A digital datastream is also an analog signal. Noise and other signal errors endemic to multi-function computers not designed primarily for music playback can affect how music sounds.”

Read the article for more audiophile jargon. I guess stereophile really has a thing for expensive streamers. They are the new “cables” of the industry.

I read only those reviews with measurements. Most others are a waste of time.

tw99

I liked that fact that audiophilia is moving with the enlightened times, and in this case it's his husband who says "it's never sounded better" :) Albeit from the same room, rather than the kitchen where audiophile wives seem to live.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
“Almost like a turntable” makes me laugh. I remember a salesman at Lyric Hi-FI telling me, in 1987, that the new Esoteric transport/DAC (like $2500 combined, in 1987) was ‘almost as good as a turntable’.

What isn’t clear is whether turntables keep moving ahead of digital as they both make “huge leaps forward” with the next kilobuck statement component.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"It takes a K50 about 2 months to burn in properly," he told me. "It sounds too thin and sharp for the first 200 hours. If you turn it off for any length of time, it will take about 3 days to get back to optimum performance."

What kind of stupidity is this bollocks. Are these people insane? How does a piece of electronics and circuitry lose performance. It doesn’t have any sort of memory or setting to retain or lose performance. :facepalm:

Last edited:

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
As a general matter, I really enjoy Stereophile. But these things frustrate the hell out of me--there is no good reason why a functioning streamer should impact sound quality. None. If Stereophile wants to prove that wrong, and actually contribute something to the pool of knowledge, it should command a controlled blind test for this review. A purely subjective review of a product that signal theory says should have no impact on sound quality is just not acceptable.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"It takes a K50 about 2 months to burn in properly," he told me. "It sounds too thin and sharp for the first 200 hours. If you turn it off for any length of time, it will take about 3 days to get back to optimum performance."

What kind of stupidity is this bollocks. are these people insane? How does a piece of electronics and circuitry lose performance. It doesn’t have any sort of memory or setting to retain or lose performance. :facepalm:
Especially when all it is doing is getting hold of digital files and pushing them off to an external DAC. It doesn't do *anything* in the analogue domain.

The stupid: It burns.

What really hacks me off is I can build a streamer out of a Raspberry Pi for less than £100 - and it will do just as good a job sound wise as this ridiculously priced piece of willy waving.

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Especially when all it is doing is getting hold of digital files and pushing them off to an external DAC. It doesn't do *anything* in the analogue domain.

The stupid: It burns.

What really hacks me off is I can build a streamer out of a Raspberry Pi for less than £100 - and it will do just as good a job sound wise as this ridiculously priced piece of willy waving.
It's always those little wanks with wee little willy's trying to show off with their money to stoke their wee little egos.

Last edited:

radix

Major Contributor
Made in New Zealand, that's the ticket.

Wait, if it's made in New Zealand, wouldn't the Coriolis force have spun all the cable electrons in the wrong direction phase alignment causing an inverse circular polarization? No wonder it takes them 200 hours to get things sorted out again. I bet if they reviewed it in the southern hemisphere with similar planetary alignments, the burn in time would be much less.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Wait, if it's made in New Zealand, wouldn't the Coriolis force have spun all the cable electrons in the wrong direction phase alignment causing an inverse circular polarization? No wonder it takes them 200 hours to get things sorted out again. I bet if they reviewed it in the southern hemisphere with similar planetary alignments, the burn in time would be much less.

Thats it.jpg

Top Bottom