• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

9 ways to make your system sound MUCH better :-)

Tangband

Major Contributor
The first example with new electronic sounding a bit better after 2-3 hours is the only tweak that works from the article.

One very important thing that may bring real, massive improvement is a big rug on the floor infront of the loudspeakers. Another even more important thing is to carefully do adjustements with your loudspeakers to find the best placement . A couple of centimeter of difference in placement can sometimes bring a big sonic difference. And its free.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ironically quoting a Dolby Laboratories scientist about the importance of pure listening (aka blinded) listening tests when it supports the writer's point, then seemingly disregarding when it raises inconvenient questions. I wonder if the reviewer would be able to distinguish sonic changes of the system with displays switched off versus on unless allowed to peek? :facepalm:

OP
Olli

Olli

Forum Donor
The first example with new electronic sounding a bit better after 2-3 hours is the only tweak that works from the article.

I get it with loudspeakers. But what kind of electronics would that be?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I see at least 9 ways here to make music sound much better:

Rfa9f4b26c2974432174fd077243e4561.jpg

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Actually turning the LED's off can sometimes improve the sound. There was an engineering discussion on how the asymmetrical power supply load caused by the LED's can make the transformer unhappy.
The larger current draw from the positive supply caused the xxxxx's power transformer magnetics to saturate.
The imbalance was due to a large amount LED current from the positive supply returning to ground.

The positive DC supply current ranges about +300-450 mA; the negative is -90 mA.
The imbalance results in a large amount of DC current in the windings biasing the transformer core.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Listening at night works too I think. Not usually because the mains are quieter. The much simpler and more direct result of the world being quieter. You have a lower ambient noise level late at night in almost all locations. BTW, quietest night of the year is tonight. Be sure not to waste it and do some intent musical listening.

Katji

Major Contributor
^^Local forum member posted recently, with report from data log (some mains power conditioner)...but it was voltage levels /fluctuations, not noise. Somehow it was worse late at night.

Robin L

Master Contributor
This guy's got 29 ways, might not be about audio equipment:

Loathecliff

'What Hi-Fi', the rot was built-in. Mendacious from the start. ..... Where's the vomit emoji?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Listening in complete darkness actually transforms the listening experience.

Robin L

Master Contributor
D

Deleted member 12642

I’ve heard about most of them but the “turning the display off” idea was new to me. I’ll check with my TV first.

I mean, it doesn't change the sound but for me it does change your perception of it. I often disable my monitor with a quick shortcut when I'm writing or mixing, gives your brain a different perspective. I've also got this keyboard that is great, but the screen on it is really bright. I seem to play better when I cover it up.

Top Bottom