• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$9 Headphone Review: Sony MDR-ZX110

samwell7

I got a set of these (and the noise cancelling version) to try as I needed a cheap closed-back to offer some isolation when I'm working from home as a backup set.

The Koss PortaPro, KSC75 (especially with Yaxi pads and a parts express headband) and/or KPH30i all offer far better sound at a similar price.
The ZX110 offered effectively no sound isolation so I've sent them back.

With EQ they sounded better but still didn't sound right (to me), subjectively I'd say they sounded strained, obviously I can't explain this scientifically except maybe for boosting a null in the FR which is potentially caused by some destructive interference in the cups.

I've had a quick play with the active noise cancelling version (I believe it's a ZX110NC), the active noise cancelling doesn't really cancel any sound in my testing however, when it's turned on the headphone gets a boost in bass and treble, making it sound closer to the ZX110 with EQ.
This may be useful to somebody who isn't able to use EQ but doesn't mind swapping out AAA batteries every now and then.

Edit: I only tried Amir's EQ, I'd packed them up before I saw @oluvsgadgets post some numbers.

oluvsgadgets

Reviewer
Edit: I only tried Amir's EQ, I'd packed them up before I saw @oluvsgadgets post some numbers.
With Amir's EQ it sounds even worse to me. But one of my friends doesn't like my EQ either. It sounds way too thin for him like this.
It seems as if on-ears were even more sensitive to the variance of the human ear. Although my EQ and the one from Sonarworks sound quite alike to me in overall tonality, so my ears can't be that off.
I was still tweaking the EQ to get it even better and will post a video about this topic soon.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I managed to snag an Edifier H850 for under $25 (forgot the exact price), sounds nicer than most Sony headphones I've tried

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I think a headphone should sound good right out of the box. Maybe only need a little EQ. Comfort and longevity a well as support of consumables like pads and headband is important. Granted a $ 10.- headphone is simply thrown away once the awful thin pleather pads start flaking after a year or so.

oluvsgadgets

Reviewer
I think a headphone should sound good right out of the box. Maybe only need a little EQ. Comfort and longevity a well as support of consumables like pads and headband is important. Granted a $ 10.- headphone is simply thrown away once the awful thin pleather pads start flaking after a year or so.
I think the challenge here is rather if something really usable can be made out of it, because for me it was just junk out of the box.
But even a $3000 Meze Empyrean sounds like junk out of the box.

ZööZ

With Amir's EQ it sounds even worse to me. But one of my friends doesn't like my EQ either. It sounds way too thin for him like this.
It seems as if on-ears were even more sensitive to the variance of the human ear. Although my EQ and the one from Sonarworks sound quite alike to me in overall tonality, so my ears can't be that off.
I was still tweaking the EQ to get it even better and will post a video about this topic soon.

Been comparing different EQ settings this morning and yours sounds too thin to me also, but there's some idea to it as vocals sound good which seem like are the emphasis of your eq anyway? You can get used to its lack of bass after a while and by no means does it sound offensive except when switching between other eq's, the stark contrast makes it really sound kinda hollow and kinda out of a tin can or something like that. Think I get what you were going for with this one but not my cup of tea.

Now that I've tried Maiky's eq I didn't like it as much I did Amir's out of the gates but after I added a small boost to it in the 6k region it is a tougher choise (and a bit of a boost at 20hz as analysis panel in APO showed the curve starts to droop a little before it which the preference curve doesn't do but not so sure if I can hear the difference with or without).
I'm torn between if the modified Maiky's eq has too much bass above sub bass, as it is the most obvious difference between it and Amir's, on some tracks it feels too much in my face and in others it feels just right, but somehow it doesn't sound as open even then.

I could easily use the whole weekend just fiddling with eq's and comparing them but perhaps I'll just save that for another weekend :D

nat1

reduced version with just 10 filters (tweaked a bit more in the meantime, I think it sounds quite nice like this):

Preamp: -3 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 120 Hz Gain -9 dB Q 0.3333
Filter: ON PK Fc 1600 Hz Gain -6 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 3650 Hz Gain -6 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 5200.32 Hz Gain -5.6 dB Q 1.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 6500 Hz Gain -5.6 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 7550 Hz Gain -12 dB Q 10
Filter: ON PK Fc 7750 Hz Gain 6.9 dB Q 0.9
Filter: ON PK Fc 8850 Hz Gain -13.8 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 9700 Hz Gain 5.3 dB Q 0.7
Filter: ON PK Fc 10500 Hz Gain -12 dB Q 12

You should try the Maiky76 EQ without the two bass filters (40hz and 157hz respectively). Bass distorion is way too high to make any boost there sound inoffensive. With those two filters removed though IMO it sounds more neutral than your EQ, less forward/peaky in the vocals.

RoyB

Forum Donor
AMIRM is costing me $$.....Read this review and need a set of near disposable headphones to use in my camper. Don't want IEM and didn't want to spend real money. Saw my local Best Buy had two sets in stock, Ran over and for $10.61 walked out with a set. Using my Ipad mini connected to my PI Headphone/ Pre Amp streaming Qobuz.....Comparing them to my Phillips 9500 headphones.....Simply Amazing for $10.....Just a very slight tweek on the bass control and we are MORE than good to go. Thanks Amirm!

ds.jpg

Thalis

AMIRM is costing me $$.....Read this review and need a set of near disposable headphones to use in my camper. Don't want IEM and didn't want to spend real money. Saw my local Best Buy had two sets in stock, Ran over and for $10.61 walked out with a set. Using my Ipad mini connected to my PI Headphone/ Pre Amp streaming Qobuz.....Comparing them to my Phillips 9500 headphones.....Simply Amazing for $10.....Just a very slight tweek on the bass control and we are MORE than good to go. Thanks Amirm!

View attachment 124616

Are you using any PEQ for your SHP9500?

Tim Link

Forum Donor
Are you using any PEQ for your SHP9500?

View attachment 124616
RoyB, Amirm isn't costing you too much.;)

the_brunx

SoundSource 5 by Rogue Amoeba.

It costs $39, but you can have PEQ system-wide with it (using the integrated AUNBandEQ audio unit or even VST plugins).

Got this Software after your tip. I have to say it's the Best EQ Software for mac IMO. Worth every cent. Super convenient, Super powerful, full of EQ features, No audiable distortion if used within the limits and made for exactly someone like me. I'm impressed. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Just got a pair, in the process of dialing in Amir's EQ on the RME, which is a bit of a tedious process, lol. Sounds pretty good, though.

P1290078.jpg

silentt29

I bought a pair at Target (last one in stock!) this past weekend for $10. Before adding EQ, I was definitely not liking the sound compared to my AKG K240s, but after adding Amir's EQ, I enjoy them a lot. My only complaint is their lack of headband comfort. They begin to feel uncomfortable resting on the top of my head after a few minutes, regardless of adjustment. A softer headband and these would be spectacular.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Well, these are simply too tight for my big-ass head. Went back to the sublime comfort of my old, barely-know-they're-there Sennheiser PX-100 II's. Will have to try to EQ them, but happy again with the superb comfort of my trusty old Sennheisers, with new foam pads.

Top Bottom