• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

9.2 Atmos AVR questions on pre-amp/channels

drfrink24

Looking to try either the Integra 3.4 or the Onkyo RZ50, both of which are 9.2 enabled AVRs. I was looking thru the back panel though, and found that you cannot have both rear channel AND overhead Atmos enabled at the same time.

Question though; Is this a processing limitation AND an amplification problem? Or just amplification?

Both of the amplifiers have pre-outs labeled "height 2 | surr. back".. Could I have the AVR amplifier powering the Surr. Back, and then have the height 2 pre-out going to an external amp and powering Height 2?

Soundmixer

The Integra has 9 channels of amplification, so it should be able to run both surrounds and height channels simultaneously. What makes you think you could not?

DRX-3.4_MDD_Rear_20200714-1-scaled.jpg

OP
D

drfrink24

The Integra has 9 channels of amplification, so it should be able to run both surrounds and height channels simultaneously. What makes you think you could not?

DRX-3.4_MDD_Rear_20200714-1-scaled.jpg
It can't run surround + surround back + height 1 + height 2. I ended up downloading the user manual and it does indeed show that you can use an external amplifier for height 2, then use internal amplification for surround back + height 1

Matt0305

The Onkyo RZ50 can process 11 channels with pre-outs for height 2 and requires an external amp for 7.1.4. The Integra 3.4 can only process 9 channels an is limited to 5.1.4.

Last edited:
OP
D

drfrink24

The Onkyo RZ50 can process 11 channels with pre-outs for height 2 and requires an external amp for 7.1.4. The Integra 3.4 can only process 9 channels an is limited to 5.1.4.
I must have accidentally viewed the PDF for the RZ50 vs. the 3.4.

Soundmixer

It can't run surround + surround back + height 1 + height 2. I ended up downloading the user manual and it does indeed show that you can use an external amplifier for height 2, then use internal amplification for surround back + height 1
The Integra is a 9.2 amp. Of course, it cannot run a second pair of heights without an external amp.

Top Bottom