• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

8K TVs finally on sale

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

Krunok

Major Contributor
Is this a 23.976fps vs 24fps issue on your TV? Or is it the motion blur from shooting at 23.976, which is low but gives cinema part of it's look. Some panning shots will look bad when correctly presented because of the frame rate they were shot at, that's just how it is.

Yes, 23.976 fps.

And yes, some panning shots do look bad. Most of them are pretty ok, though.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Finally, an excuse to get that 300' diagonal screen!

Honestly, I have found the upscaling to 4k for lower res sources to be it's best feature, even though I also like 4K HDR/Dolby Atmos when it appears on my OLED. I therefore surrendered to 4k. It's nice having computer monitors that are completely smooth and colorful.

I suppose, the question is how much better is 8k scaling from 4k scaling?

That would be just about the right size Carl...300 inches diagonal for an impactful benefit. ...A 300" 8K OLED TV.
It'll come, it's just a question of when.
Theaters will be equipped with flat panel displays instead of using projectors.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Is this a 23.976fps vs 24fps issue on your TV? Or is it the motion blur from shooting at 23.976, which is low but gives cinema part of it's look. Some panning shots will look bad when correctly presented because of the frame rate they were shot at, that's just how it is.

It's the TV, the refresh rate...eg.; 60Hz, 120Hz, 240Hz, 600Hz

8K is very good for us because it means 4K OLED TVs ... 75", 77", 85", 88" are going to cost less.
It's the same thing today if you are shopping for a 96" 1080p TV; only couple thou.
And with 1080p front projectors; virtually free.

TBone

Major Contributor
Anyway, the problem with todays panels when playing movies is poor motion handling and not the resolution.

Exactly, got to luv how they are always displayed ... showing some absolutely beautiful panoramic scene of a flush meadow, plenty flowers, with a wide blue sky & ocean gracing the background, almost as if life was beautifully static. They look near perfect, until you play a real movie.

NorthSky

Major Contributor

cjfrbw

I wonder if Goodwill will accept my obsolete 4k OLED?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Sharp and TCL are also in with 8K...official.

That is great, now some people can finally upgrade their 4K TVs they just bought last week.

Honestly I thought the demand for 3D glasses-free was bigger than 8K; I was wrong...8K came two years (16 months) before I anticipated.
Now my new prediction for 3D resurrection is for April 2021. May my dreams come true in more dimensions.

* I predict that by that time (April 2021) we are going to see 8K TVs everywhere, including Walmart and Costco stores across the continents.
...And more and more 4K TVs @ Goodwill and Salvation Army and Thrift stores and second hand stereo TV stores, plus the pawn shops of course.
Streaming will become the masses trend/full norm, and physical discs (4K Blu-ray) the start of retro nostalgia enchantment, or in plain english the beginning of a beautiful friendship (very similar to the LP record).

Last edited:
Top Bottom