• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

841 DHT Hybrid Headphone Amplifier

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Finished up another DIY project. This is a tube-FET hybrid headphone amplifier. Voltage gain is done by a thoriated tungsten filament directly-heated triode, the 841. Here are its A1 operating curves from my curve tracer (it has A2 functionality as well).

841 A1 (1).png

It is filament biased, filament supply is a Rod Coleman regulator. The 841 is direct-coupled to a Alpha & Omega AOTN160 source follower. This is then cap coupled to the Sowter 8665A headphone output transformers. Here is a schematic of the amplifier circuit. It is essentially a filament biased, CCS-loaded DHT spud with a FET buffer in the middle.

841 Spud Schematic.png

The power supply is Maida regulated. Here is the interior. Switch in the center alters the turns ratio of the output transformers for various headphone impedances.

IMAG2964-2 (1)-min.jpg

The finished product. Mains and filament transformers are on top with matching shrouds.

DSCF6356-2.jpgIMAG2967-2.jpg

Sounds very nice, distortion is quite low, here are the numbers into different dummy loads.

THD 1mW into 32ohm (low impedance switch) - 0.017%
THD 1mW into 120ohm (medium impedance switch) - 0.007%
THD 1mw into 300ohm (high impedance switch) - 0.0054%

And the frequency response.

841 FR.png

The filaments of the 841 have a characteristic glow, looks very nice in the dark, sounds great with my Sennheiser HD650 and ZMF Auteur.

DSCF6362.jpgDSCF6375-min.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That looks really neat.

I have boxes full of small signal tubes (6DJ8-type and 12AX7-type) I really need to do something with....

OP
L0rdGwyn

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Thanks :) 6DJ8 tubes are a hot commodity these days, sounds like the makings of a tube phono stage.

Top Bottom