• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

8361A… many questions (sorry).

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have 8361A’s in my room. Subs weren’t an option in this room (my wife hates them) so I opted to buy the 8361’s to get enough output as my room is fairly large. Otherwise I would have bought 8351B’s and a couple of subs. I also considered the KH 420, but here the best price I could find was about CAD$1200/pair more than the 8361’s. I’m sure I would have been quite happy with them as well.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
When i auditioned them i was amazed how neutral and transparent they were
bass also amazing
yes kh420 are probably amazing too but would sound much different based on my experience with KH120
the Neumann tweeter is darker
so Neumann and Genelec maybe both close in measurements but sound different in real life
It's amazing that no one so far has heard both and can compare lol(Except Amir i guess )

Last edited:

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
You need a DDC with AES/EBU output, and the SMSL PO100 Pro doesn't (anything with AES/EBU output should suffice). I assume you already have xlr cables.
There are cables that do the conversion pretty well. I used a Funk casa-t without any glitches. This has a built in transformer.

OP
Esprit

Esprit

Forum Donor
There are cables that do the conversion pretty well. I used a Funk casa-t without any glitches. This has a built in transformer.
Very interesting.
What do you currently use?
Do they also sell that cable abroad?

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
What do you currently use?
Do they also sell that cable abroad?
I currently use a Matrix spdif3, AES out which is fed from a pi3 as a roon endpoint. Was pi3>Allo Digione>casa-t before. Bought the smsl as a backup. Matrix spdif3 does not make a difference, except for peace of mind. No need to go that expensive route.

BUT I should note that volume control via roon is first class. Your milage may vary in this respect with other sources.

As to Funk doing exports: I do not know. They most probably sell to EU countries and maybe they ship worldwide. Just email them.

Last edited:
OP
Esprit

Esprit

Forum Donor
Which color? I don't understand the difference between gray and black on the tablet screen...

OP
Esprit

Esprit

Forum Donor
After a month of listening in my house the verdict is that the Genelecs, obviously in my opinion, are transparent and natural.
It will be sad to part with them but I have to sell my Adams first…;)

OP
Esprit

Esprit

Forum Donor
The Genelecs leave tomorrow morning.
Now I'm wondering if it's the case, while I'm putting the money together, to buy Dirac to work on the mini but it won't work for Apple TV, Fire stick, etc… or forget it.
Any suggestions? ;)

Elitzur–Vaidman

The Genelecs leave tomorrow morning.
Now I'm wondering if it's the case, while I'm putting the money together, to buy Dirac to work on the mini but it won't work for Apple TV, Fire stick, etc… or forget it.
Any suggestions? ;)
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think GLM works regardless of the input used.

OP
Esprit

Esprit

Forum Donor
I'm not talking about the Genelecs, the Genelecs were being tested and after a month I return them to the distributor. My reference was on how to behave, what to do, while trying to sell the Adams and then buy the Genelec.

It's Dirac which on the Mac may not be useful for video sources (and related audio).

Elitzur–Vaidman

I'm not talking about the Genelecs, the Genelecs were being tested and after a month I return them to the distributor. My reference was on how to behave, what to do, while trying to sell the Adams and then buy the Genelec.

It's Dirac which on the Mac may not be useful for video sources (and related audio).
My bad, I didn't reread the thread. Any reason why you wouldn't get an AVR/AVP with DIRAC capabilities (or a MiniDSP Flex)?

OP
Esprit

Esprit

Forum Donor
My bad, I didn't reread the thread. Any reason why you wouldn't get an AVR/AVP with DIRAC capabilities (or a MiniDSP Flex)?
My goal is to buy Genelecs. In that case GLM would be sufficient. The point is that I don't know when I'll buy them (not only for the money but for a question of "space"). Dirac that I tried so many years ago could be an intermediate solution (at least in my thoughts...).

Top Bottom