• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

8361A… many questions (sorry).

Esprit

Forum Donor
Good morning everyone, first post here on ASR after years of reading dozens of threads and hundreds of posts.

A couple of premises: English is not my mother tongue and at school I got a grade of 4 (for which I will use Google Translate massively…) and from a technical point of view I am quite ignorant.

I thank @amirm (or Amir? ) in advance for this forum (after reading forums all over the world this is among the best…) and I thank all those who want to help me in my choices and to overcome my problems and doubts.
I'll try to use only this thread to not "disturb" with stupid questions in the others…

These days, thanks to the Italian distributor, I'm testing a pair of 8361A.

The questions I will ask, even in subsequent posts, excuse me, will be many.

Meanwhile: better 8361A or 8351B?

What do you think of the Neumann KH 420 alternative?

At what frequency does The One monitor internally process the signal: 96kHz or 192kHz?

I would like to try the digital connection, spending as little as possible for now: can I use an SMSL PO100 Pro? What else will I need?

To keep the signal at the maximum frequency, is a daisy chain enough or does each monitor have to receive the signal directly?

I'll stop here for now.
Thanks again.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There is a huge 8361a thread here already which is almost certainly worth reading.
But for domestic use I would choose the larger speaker, not sure about the internal processing but it really doesn’t matter, you could send a digital signal to the Gens and attenuate with something like the RME ADI-pro I use them with the Dutch&Dutch 8cs they have analogue in too so the unit becomes a very versatile contemporary ’pre-amp’.
Keith

onion

Hi - I use digital connection connected to my Mac and Babyface Pro. The connection is daisy-chained with each speaker having an 'In', 'Out' and some with 'Thru' too.

I think a digital out from any Mac/ PC would suffice

From what others have reported, KH420 and 8351b are both excellent alternatives, the better to audition in your room.

OP
Esprit

Esprit

Forum Donor
@Pearljam5000 My current speakers are Adam audio (S3X-V, two pairs…) and the sound is very different.
I have to get used to it and I also have to learn how to use GLM better.
Then the problem will be deciding whether to buy them or not.
Obviously having my monitors on the stands and not being able to move them the Genelecs are not positioned in the best possible way.

OP
Esprit

Esprit

Forum Donor
There is a huge 8361a thread here already which is almost certainly worth reading
Hi,
I think I've read all the ASR threads regarding the Genelecs (even several times...) and I've saved links and information but then when the time for the test is limited all the questions become urgent (even the ones I still have to ask...).
The distributor is sending me this (again for testing...):
Thank you for your contribution.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would like to try the digital connection, spending as little as possible for now: can I use an SMSL PO100 Pro? What else will I need?
You need a DDC with AES/EBU output, and the SMSL PO100 Pro doesn't (anything with AES/EBU output should suffice). I assume you already have xlr cables.

OP
Esprit

Esprit

Forum Donor
Hi - I use digital connection connected to my Mac and Babyface Pro. The connection is daisy-chained with each speaker having an 'In', 'Out' and some with 'Thru' too.

I think a digital out from any Mac/ PC would suffice

From what others have reported, KH420 and 8351b are both excellent alternatives, the better to audition in your room.
Thanks for the info.
Unfortunately, I have no way of listening to the KH 420s in my room.

OP
Esprit

Esprit

Forum Donor
You need a DDC with AES/EBU output, and the SMSL PO100 Pro doesn't (anything with AES/EBU output should suffice). I assume you already have xlr cables.
At the moment I just want to test before returning everything. I connected the Genelecs to my Mytek but I want to understand and hear the difference between the analog signal and the fully digital signal. I was looking, also based on the posts that I saved myself, for the cheapest solution (for now...).
Luckily I can do it with the RME...

Elitzur–Vaidman

At the moment I just want to test before returning everything. I connected the Genelecs to my Mytek but I want to understand and hear the difference between the analog signal and the fully digital signal. I was looking, also based on the posts that I saved myself, for the cheapest solution (for now...).
Luckily I can do it with the RME...
Honestly the difference between analog and digital inputs is probably inaudible. Measurable, but inaudible. But if your RME has AES/EBU output then you're golden.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
@Pearljam5000 My current speakers are Adam audio (S3X-V, two pairs…) and the sound is very different.
I have to get used to it and I also have to learn how to use GLM better.
Then the problem will be deciding whether to buy them or not.
Obviously having my monitors on the stands and not being able to move them the Genelecs are not positioned in the best possible way.
Can you compare 8361 sound to S3X-? Thanks

OP
Esprit

Esprit

Forum Donor
I can do it but it's "subjective" and this is not the right forum (I don't want to be banned on the first day…). :-D
I love the tweeters of the Adams*, the Adams are (obviously for me…) very musical and create a precise “sound image” with a lot of “air” (great with movies…).
At the same time the Genelecs (I've been listening to them for a few days…) are not very forgiving of recordings and I fear that my current DAC is not up to par. My problem is that I feel that the Genelecs have "repressed" potential in my environment, so I am evaluating, also thanks to the GRADE report, contacting an engineer to see where and how to intervene with passive acoustic correction.
Obviously it will all depend on deciding whether or not to buy the 8361As and also on being able to sell my Adams… ‍

*https://www.adam-audio.com/en/sx-series/s3x-v/

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I can do it but it's "subjective" and this is not the right forum (I don't want to be banned on the first day…)

I think you're safe. ;)

I wish more new posters had the general awareness you have.

Doing controlled tests of speakers is a bit much to expect, and hearing your impressions of how these sound to you in your space is something most would be happy to hear. You are evaluating speakers that are pretty well thought of, and are being thoughtful in the process, so I think we are all optimistic you will end up with something really excellent.

Looking forward to more updates as you go through the process!

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
I can do it but it's "subjective" and this is not the right forum (I don't want to be banned on the first day…). :-D
Hmmm... what does this say about the ASR street cred... lol?
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250ZW50Lmhzd3N0YXRpYy5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJnaWZcL3BsYXlcL2M5YjIxM2I3LWRiYTctNGM0My04Y2UwLTAyMzdlMDMwMTFkZi0xOTIwLTEwODAucG5nIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjo4Mjh9fX0=

OP
Esprit

Esprit

Forum Donor
I think you're safe. ;)

I wish more newby posters had the general awareness you have.

Doing controlled tests of speakers is a bit much to expect, and hearing your impressions of how these sound to you in your space is something most would be happy to hear. You are evaluating speakers that are pretty well thought of, and are being thoughtful in the process, so I think we are all optimistic you will end up with something really excellent.
Thank you,
I couldn't find how to insert emoticons.
Yes, and thanks again to the distributor, being able to listen to a loudspeaker in your room is priceless.
Then expectations are always high and too many people (including myself...) forget that the room is the first component of the system on which to invest.
It's like buying a Ferrari and then going off-road...
P.S. My space, not for exclusive use, is about 100 cubic meters.

OP
Esprit

Esprit

Forum Donor
Are some AES/EBU cables better than others?
Brand and model?
Brands to avoid?

Elitzur–Vaidman

Are some AES/EBU cables better than others?
Brand and model?
Brands to avoid?
As long as they're competent xlr cables you should be fine. If you want to guarantee a high-quality cable, you can go with a mogami or blue jeans cables AES/EBU cable. There is absolutely no reason to go for anything more expensive.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Do you all agree with Keith? ;)
Always go for the biggest speaker !

Pro audio manufacturers for the cable, I like ‘Mogami’ mostly because of the name,
I am not so keen on ‘Van Damme’ mostly because of the name.
Keith

Top Bottom