• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

8030Cisopod cracks after 1 year

YSC

Major Contributor
As topic said I just discovered my 8030C pair have both isopods having hairline cracks forming as shown in picture, just wonders if this is common case for hot humid climate in HK.

Sent support request to genelec and awaiting their opinion. What I wonders is that when the unmoved isopod can crack so quick, will the sealing rubber ring between the metal halves will suffer similar problems and leak prematurely

D5FF9E43-AF86-4BF3-B339-7F4856664158.jpeg

5D6E9F55-9156-4BDF-807A-87DA5F357685.jpeg

OP
Y

YSC

Major Contributor
anyone here experienced similar things?

OP
Y

YSC

Major Contributor
+1 doesn't look like cracks to me
Hum maybe it’s the picture not clear, thing is I never moved it since the installation and in all 4 foots facing outside these surface cracks are in the curved manner kind of resembled loading fractures?

I have slightly feel it with my finger nails and it did have “notch” feel when I scratch across those cracks which shouldn’t be if it’s surface scratch. This should be clearer
4F2F05CE-34D3-4E13-9A43-1C3F4252B470.jpeg

Last edited:

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was going to say to try posting on Genelec’s community forum, but it appears Genelec has shut it down :oops:
Are they made of rubber?

OP
Y

YSC

Major Contributor
I was going to say to try posting on Genelec’s community forum, but it appears Genelec has shut it down :oops:
Are they made of rubber?
yea it's made of rubber, no offense to genelec as I reallly loved my 8030C and 7040A pair, and the isopod will take decades to disintegrate at this rate, just wonders if the rubber sealing in between the two halves of the speaker will get similar degradation in my local climate or so

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The second picture looks more like a crack or fracture. That sort of thing generally requires some combination mechanical wear and tear, significant thermal cycling, or exposure to the wrong chemical and none of that seems like it should happen to a stationary speaker in a typical home environment.

OP
Y

YSC

Major Contributor
The second picture looks more like a crack or fracture. That sort of thing generally requires some combination mechanical wear and tear, significant thermal cycling, or exposure to the wrong chemical and none of that seems like it should happen to a stationary speaker in a typical home environment.
yea this kind of puzzled me and thus why I post it up. the only movement is like when the table was moved a bit so I fine adjust the speaker a tiny bit but since it occur in all four front facing legs it seems weird, thermal cycling is something I am not sure, my home is mostly air conditioned during summer when I was at home, but at daytime weekdays when I was at work, it can go up to 35 degrees Celsius in door at times. and chemical wise as you see the dust accumulation, I don't even clean it with detergents or cloth with soap, thus I wonders if it's climate here. and if so I would kind of worry a bit about the cabin seal as for isopod can be easily user replaced, maybe with a L stand from Genelec, but the seal is something requires me shipping it back to Finland to fix which means to and forth takes a month or two which is intolerable for daily user

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would be surprised if the gasket were made of the exact same material as the isopod. The necessary material properties for gaskets are specific to their application.

I don’t want to excuse genelec here, but the feet are meant to be lossy / vibration absorbing, so it’s not totally surprising they are not as durable as a very hard rubber or plastic.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yea this kind of puzzled me and thus why I post it up. the only movement is like when the table was moved a bit so I fine adjust the speaker a tiny bit but since it occur in all four front facing legs it seems weird, thermal cycling is something I am not sure, my home is mostly air conditioned during summer when I was at home, but at daytime weekdays when I was at work, it can go up to 35 degrees Celsius in door at times. and chemical wise as you see the dust accumulation, I don't even clean it with detergents or cloth with soap, thus I wonders if it's climate here. and if so I would kind of worry a bit about the cabin seal as for isopod can be easily user replaced, maybe with a L stand from Genelec, but the seal is something requires me shipping it back to Finland to fix which means to and forth takes a month or two which is intolerable for daily user

That temperature range shouldn't really be an issue.

Do you have an air purifier with some kind of ionizer or ozone generator? High levels of ozone can rapidly degrade rubber. (and is probably bad for your lungs at that level too...)

There's also UV. Since they are expected to be used in a studio Genelec might not have bothered to check/add UV resistance. Are the front of the speakers in direct sunlight?

FWIW, I've had an 8010 for about half a year now (and it was "ex demo" so who knows how old it really is) and the isopod is still perfect as far as I can see.

OP
Y

YSC

Major Contributor
That temperature range shouldn't really be an issue.

Do you have an air purifier with some kind of ionizer or ozone generator? High levels of ozone can rapidly degrade rubber. (and is probably bad for your lungs at that level too...)

There's also UV. Since they are expected to be used in a studio Genelec might not have bothered to check/add UV resistance. Are the front of the speakers in direct sunlight?

FWIW, I've had an 8010 for about half a year now (and it was "ex demo" so who knows how old it really is) and the isopod is still perfect as far as I can see.
I don’t have any air purifier and one of the speaker is subjected to sunlight at times near the windows. Interesting bit is I checked the Thomann 360 degrees photo and when zoom really close on the left side similar cracks are seen, so seems like it’s normal behaviour and maybe I somehow just noticed that

Top Bottom