• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

8030c + Modius + volume control?

somerlad

I am playing music from an M1 Max MBP via USB to a Schiit Modius (now dongle, but in a few days usb-c -> micro usb cable) with XLR output to Genelec 8030c. I'm now learning of the limitations of this set-up with regards to not being able to control the volume from my laptop. I looked at the Schiit Sys but it looks like I won't be able to connect the Sys to my speakers without getting some RCA -> XLR cables. If I wanted XLR output I would have to get something like a Schiit Freya, which seems like overkill when all I'm looking for is volume control.

My questions:

1. What are the downsides, if any, of just getting the Sys and grabbing some RCA -> XLR cables?

2. Let's say I get the Freya, what am I buying myself apart from volume control with balanced outputs?

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have you considered a Palmer Monicon? It is pretty, available in two colors and possesses adequate mass with which to bludgeon somebody in an emergency. :cool:

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. What are the downsides, if any, of just getting the Sys and grabbing some RCA -> XLR cables?

Possibly a ground loop.

2. Let's say I get the Freya, what am I buying myself apart from volume control with balanced outputs?

If you don't have any other sources to switch between, just a very precise volume control with balanced I/O since it uses a switched relay resistor ladder.

Top Bottom