• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

8 outlet power strip for my audio setup

Costas EAR

Forum Donor
Hello everybody,

I would like to upgrade my 2 general use (and cheap) Legrand power strips:

le-50095_d.jpg

with a better one, with 8 outlets, dedicated for my audio setup (2 amps, subwoofer, preamp, dac, phono stage, turntable, roon server).
Total power consumption is less than 2000 watts.

I suppose that this is just a minor improvement, and any audibility is likely to be small, but there are so many real expensive (hi-end) power strips, that I can't choose the best for me.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks!

OP
C

Costas EAR

Forum Donor
Amir?
Have you done any reviews for power strips?

I am particularly interested in your listening tests on power strips.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hello everybody,

I would like to upgrade my 2 general use (and cheap) Legrand power strips:

View attachment 118889

with a better one, with 8 outlets, dedicated for my audio setup (2 amps, subwoofer, preamp, dac, phono stage, turntable, roon server).
Total power consumption is less than 2000 watts.

I suppose that this is just a minor improvement, and any audibility is likely to be small, but there are so many real expensive (hi-end) power strips, that I can't choose the best for me.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks!

It's cool that we can link HIS videos these days.

OP
C

Costas EAR

Forum Donor
Well, I don't have any noise problems and I am not sure if ac noise filtering has anything to offer, but what can you say about all these awards :

https://ifi-audio.com/products/powerstation/

And some people talk about "star connection" , something like this:

6523_AUDIOPHONICSDOMINO_3.jpg

Without any noise filtering. They say that the can hear "better sound", with these power strips, without any filtering.

brimble

Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Without any noise filtering. They say that the can hear "better sound", with these power strips, without any filtering.

People say lots of things...

Waiting for actual evidence, rather than anecdotes. Until then, I'll trust the EE's in the crowd.

OP
C

Costas EAR

Forum Donor
Furman PST-8D
Thank you, but if i may ask:
Why this $190 furman is a true upgrade?

Will it sound better than my $20 plain Legrand's?
Why?
As BDWoody said, I need some kind of evidence to make the right choice.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you, but if i may ask:
Why this $190 furman is a true upgrade?

Will it sound better than my $20 plain Legrand's?
Why?
As BDWoody said, I need some kind of evidence to make the right choice.
I do not recommend the Furman. I have a PST-8 and a PST-6. The 8 has been fine for years, but surge protection in the 6 failed within a few months. Nevertheless, there are some test reports suggesting that the surge protection in the Furman units surpasses that of cheap surge protectors.

I do recommend a non-sacrificial series mode surge protector made by the likes of Zero Surge or SurgeX. No, it will not protect against a direct lightning strike (no surge protector that plugs into the wall will), but a series-mode surge protector will protect against more mundane surges caused by power company faults and electric motors and will not degrade over time, as a conventional MOV surge protector will. I use Zero Surge units on all my expensive stuff now.

OP
C

Costas EAR

Forum Donor
I am quite confident with Legrand 's surge protection, after all Legrand is a big company with huge experience in this field.

Furman is nothing in comparison with Legrand.

jomark911

Trust the high end companys with the star connection.
Ha ha , star connection my @ss. On 230 v ac. Are they serious. ?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir?
Have you done any reviews for power strips?
Not specifically. But all the measurements you see, including incredibly well performing gear, come from a rack mounted power strip that everything plugs into. Here is the one I have: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000513OF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

31oeWVJYXpL._AC_.jpg

In the process of troubleshooting mains leakage in measurements, I have often moved outlets for the device under test but it has never made a difference.

I suspect that there is a slight difference in current handling ability of such strips as some have really lousy outlet connections. Or internal construction. That would only matter if you have super powerful amplifiers. In my case, I plug my amps directly into the wall. Even though I no longer have a "star ground connection" there is no audible hum in my system.

I could try to test some but there are millions of such power strips so don't know how to get useful coverage of anything. For now, I would say just buy from major brand with proper safety and regulatory certification.

OP
C

Costas EAR

Forum Donor
Stick with industrial/commercial brands.
Yes of course. ;)

Safety and regulatory certifications matter most.

I suppose that some quite expensive hi-end power strips made from wood, like little cute furnitures, are not qualified for those certifications, but some audiophiles claim "huge" upgrade in perceived sound quality.
Of course, some people claim that the earth is flat. :facepalm:

Anyway.. :cool:

Amir is using a decent rack mounted power strip, and I think it's a very good idea.;)

Last edited:

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm using these exclusively nowadays - incredibly well built, 'all steel', everything else just seems flimsy.
https://www.tripplite.com/power-it-9-outlet-power-strip-15-ft-cord~TLM915NC
And come in various sizes to fit your needs (the 3 outlet one is a cutey!).
I put all my MOV & filtration units ahead of these (separately), all SurgeX, including an AC switcher combo unit.
(There's another thread on those somewhere here.)
I do like Amir's rack mount one, though...didn't know about that!

Top Bottom