• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

8-Channel Dac/Amp Recommendation...

Jesal

I'm setting up another 4-way high efficiency speaker setup, high power is not really required. Thinking of getting Topping DM7 Dac and 4 Topping A5 amps.
But I'm open to suggestions if there are better alternatives. $1800 budget for Dac and amplifiers.
Not much choices for 8-Channel Dacs but lots of amp choices. Would Sabaj amp be comparable to toppings?
I'm thinking Sabaj A20A for a saving of $465.
Thanks for any help...

Attachments

• Topping.jpg
    Topping.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 69
  • Sabaj A20A.jpg
    Sabaj A20A.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 67

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd stay far away from the Topping PA5 given the reliability issues -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...oll-for-topping-pa5-owners-only-please.33293/.

Personally I'd also stay away from IC based Chinese amplifiers as they typically have load dependent frequency response and poor thermal design. IMO Hypex is the way to go, could do 4 x NC125MPs from Audiophonics for $1400 shipped -> https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...wer-amplifier-ncore-2x125w-4-ohm-p-14516.html. Or step up to 4 x NC252MPs from Audiophonics or Buckeye for $1750.

This is obviously stretching your budget a bit but I think it is worth it in the long run.

Michael

Dilliw

For the DAC:

OP
J

Jesal

I'd stay far away from the Topping PA5 given the reliability issues -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...oll-for-topping-pa5-owners-only-please.33293/.

Personally I'd also stay away from IC based Chinese amplifiers as they typically have load dependent frequency response and poor thermal design. IMO Hypex is the way to go, could do 4 x NC125MPs from Audiophonics for $1400 shipped -> https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...wer-amplifier-ncore-2x125w-4-ohm-p-14516.html. Or step up to 4 x NC252MPs from Audiophonics or Buckeye for $1750.

This is obviously stretching your budget a bit but I think it is worth it in the long run.

Michael
Thanks for the heads up on the PA5's. I was just looking at the stellar review here.

I like the audiophonics amps, built like a tank. I'll have to see what shipping and duties are to Canada. Thanks again

OP
J

Jesal

For the DAC:

Thanks that is an interesting option with Dirac, although I have never tried it. I've been using audiolense for 5 or more years. I'll check it out... Thank you

MAB

Major Contributor
Thanks for the heads up on the PA5's. I was just looking at the stellar review here.

I like the audiophonics amps, built like a tank. I'll have to see what shipping and duties are to Canada. Thanks again
I built a tri-amped system using the Flex Eight.
I'm really happy with it. It is not available balanced, but I have no audible problems with that. I don't have the Dirac license, I'm just using REW and and a UMIK. Dirac is an extra $200.

The 2-channel balanced version of this DAC was reviewed at ASR:
It has very good performance. I anticipate the Flex Eight will have perf very close to the 2-channel, but I haven't seen measurements.

OP
J

Jesal

I built a tri-amped system using the Flex Eight.
I'm really happy with it. It is not available balanced, but I have no audible problems with that. I don't have the Dirac license, I'm just using REW and and a UMIK. Dirac is an extra $200.

The 2-channel balanced version of this DAC was reviewed at ASR:
It has very good performance. I anticipate the Flex Eight will have perf very close to the 2-channel, but I haven't seen measurements.
Thanks @MAB for both links, surprised minidsp did great on the tests. Digging in your great thread now, might have a few for you later if you don't mind. Thanks

MAB

Major Contributor
Thanks @MAB for both links, surprised minidsp did great on the tests. Digging in your great thread now, might have a few for you later if you don't mind. Thanks
Thanks, happy to answer any questions.
Many of their gear measure quite well. Some of the RME, Benchmark, etc. are next-level but to be honest that's inaudible.
I have an SHD as well that I also like, but just two-channel.

OP
J

Jesal

Thanks @MAB I'll go with flex eight, any experience with Dirac, I might go for it since it's cheap at $200, considering I pay half that every year for audiolense maintenance.

MAB

Major Contributor
Thanks @MAB I'll go with flex eight, any experience with Dirac, I might go for it since it's cheap at $200, considering I pay half that every year for audiolense maintenance.
I like Dirac. Some complain, but I do find it useful even if it is an inscrutable black box at times... Sounds like it is likely worth it to you!
If you don't have one, you will need a mic like a UMIK-1 or -2.
Keep us posted! Sounds like fun...

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
You could also look at the Hypex FusionAmps - the same amp modules mentioned in the Audiophonics amps above, on a plate with a DSP board.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Or just get a decent AVR and run it in all channel stereo mode.

Top Bottom