• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7hz Salnotes Zero - the "other" Zero

muza_1

since the original 7hz zero already has a negative slope, i'd imagine the zero 2 would have a lower Harman preference score then because it is even bassier?
I dont know what is it but for me the preference score for IEMs doesn't align with my preference at all but with OE Headphones is quite the contrary, I find the IEMs with higher score somewhat bright, thin and lacking bass and full headphones just perfectly balanced and natural sounding. Maybe it has something to do with inner ear shape?

SteveL

I noticed that around the 10-12kHz region the measurement is almost the opposite between both couplers so I did not touch it, i don't have the Zero anymore but i dont remember the upper-highs being a problem for me it was a lack of bass and they were a little bit shouty in the 2-3kHz region.
My OG Zero EQ with a 10 band graphic equalizer is a modest +2 dB at 34 Hz and -2 at 4 kHz. Slightly firms up the lowest octave and slightly smooths the timbre of orchestral violins. For my taste that's all they need and even that much is both subtle and optional.

mc.god

But he doesn't clarify if he had the same fit issue wit og zero, otherwise something must have changed in the shape.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Received my Zero 2 this morning along with a Hiby R3 ii, sound ok for £20 but be aware the 2 pin connecter is a really tight fit in the earshell housing, not just tight but oh my fucking god wtf is going on with this thing tight so be very careful. No way this is ever coming out again.

53379924725_334ee18c7b_h.jpg

MCH

Major Contributor
I also received mine yesterday. Good comfort improvement vs "the other zeros", very happy about that.
But if one day someone writes a list of the iem with the most difficult to read R/L indicators, these will be in the top.

muza_1

Well the 7hz Zero:2 arrived yesterday, I have been listening for a while now and I think I found my new daily driver (no EQ needed) it is really well balanced with the perfect amount of bass and treble for me, I didn't like the original version it lacked bass and was a little bit bright and fatiguing but this one is perfect.

I also tryed both the KZ Castor, The Harman version (first two switches on and 350 mesh) is somewhat similar to the Zero:2 but a bit brighter and also lacks some bass for my taste, The Bass version (third switch on and 350 mesh) is obviusly bassier but some of the detail in the mids is obscured by the bass and it is not as clear as the Harman version or the Zero:2, also they are big and heavy but comfortable. The Harman version is not as eficient as the other two.

vco1

But he doesn't clarify if he had the same fit issue wit og zero, otherwise something must have changed in the shape.
Horrible fit for me as well. Which didn't surprise me given the weird design of the shell. No matter how good the sound may be, if they fall out of your ears or hurt they are useless. Besides, the Salnotes Zoeroes do sound horrible too without proper fit. As is mentioned in the review.

muza_1

For me is quite the opposite, they are comfortable and stay in (using Truthear large narrow bore tips) unlike the TE Hola and Moondrop Chu/Chu 2 which slowly slid out. TE Zero/Zero:Red although big were very comfortable too, same with KZ Castor.

mc.god

Horrible fit for me as well. Which didn't surprise me given the weird design of the shell. No matter how good the sound may be, if they fall out of your ears or hurt they are useless.
Fitting is hit or miss, if you already tried with various tips and a different cable the shape of the /hz zero simply isn't for your ears, luckily these days there are a lot of good soundng cheap iems out there that can match better with your ears.

Besides, the Salnotes Zoeroes do sound horrible too without proper fit. As is mentioned in the review.
Fitting is crucial for every iem, all will sound thin and inconsistent without proper seal, maybe apart some terribly bass-bloated models that will just sound correct then :)

SteveL

according to crinacle's 711 coupler result (not the real thing), the 7hz zero 2 has a preference score of 73 https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/RANKING.md

so as expected, lower than the zero 1
It was right out in the open in Crinacle's sarcastic video- the 2 was tuned cynically according to the basshead tastes of the majority of the people who buy cheap IEMs. Unfortunate but not surprising. I'm glad those of us who appreciate the fidelity of the OG model were able to grab one before they "fixed" their "mistake". I'm starting to think I should buy a spare while they're still available.

muza_1

The Zero:2 have about the same amount of apparent bass (or just a bit more) as the Chu or the Zero:Red EQed to the Harman curve, not a basshead set at all.

As the name suggest the score is a (average) preference one not a fidelity one and with the Harman IEM curve being reworked the scores are subject to change.

I would not worry about the original Zero being discontinued just yet it is still a best seller and having two different versions is only going to increase sales for both and lower the original price in the process.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest I would not have named it Zero 2, or even Zero Pro as the beta testers got them. As both sound like the next version and the previous is going to be discontinued.

In that sense Truthear was smarter and just called them by different name variations, the obvious faceplate change, but keeps selling both flavours without prioritizing one over the other.

Should have been a "Zero AE - Anniversary Edition" or something.

khaytsus

It was done by eyeballing. Take it with a grain of salt :D
Can someone help me understand how the Zero 2's (per Crinacle) have more bass response, but the graphs in the bass/sub area look almost exactly alike? Am I missing something?

mc.god

He shares the impression of it being more generalistic targeted than the original one.

sharock

Can someone help me understand how the Zero 2's (per Crinacle) have more bass response, but the graphs in the bass/sub area look almost exactly alike? Am I missing something?
I think half_dog's graph isn't a direct comparison of Zero and Zero:2. It's an EQ to Z:1 to make them sound similar Z:2

Top Bottom