• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

750 million genetically engineered mosquitoes approved for release in Florida Keys

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Ray, this one's for you ...
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/19/health/gmo-mosquitoes-approved-florida-scn-wellness/index.html
140707175439-female-aedes-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Vini darko

Major Contributor
It's horrifying and fascinating in equal measure. I'd love see all mosquitoes killed but this seems risky.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
1525563897420.gif

I guess Ray didn't read that article yet; I was expecting a logical mathematical common sense data scientific explanation with graphs and all.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I don't live in The Keys.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best thing I ever did to improve my life was to move away from Florida. You don't want to wind up like 'Florida Man'. :eek:

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
The best thing I ever did to improve my life was to move away from Florida. You don't want to wind up like 'Florida Man'. :eek:

I have relatives living in Florida...and friends too...like Ray right here.
Ray has one of the solidest heads on his shoulders.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Count yourself lucky if you don't live here. Here is a recent view from our illustrious Governor DeSantis:
"Mr. DeSantis has stressed that the state’s virus crisis is largely limited to the very old."(NYT)
Yep. Us old non-productive, resource sapping, Social Security leeches are really the only ones dying in the 10,000 so far. Not Really a problem.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
why can't we genetically engineer mosquitoes with more harmonious buzzing noises?

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
We need better and smaller (miniature) DACs...inside the mosquitoes.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
this species of mosquito was not native to the New World. It was brought from Africa on slave ships.

Mosquitos have caused more human deaths than all other causes combined probably more than half the people that have ever lived.

The Aedes egypti is originally from Africa and came to Florida with the slave trade ships. None of those Aedes species
are native to Florida or its ecosystem. Wiping them out would be a good thing. Even in Africa.

There are many many species. If they can extinct this one it will be a very good thing. There are lots of African and South and Central American communities that will be very happy to get these.

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The best thing I ever did to improve my life was move to Florida. You can’t beat the cost of living. Sure we have our share of crazies but there are much, much fewer than there are in California. o_O

Martin

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best thing I ever did to improve my life was move to Florida. You can’t beat the cost of living. Sure we have our share of crazies but there are much, much fewer than there are in California. o_O
Martin
A lot of folks like the sauna. Nothing wrong with that (if wet heat is your thing). I admit, Florida has some hard to argue positives: low cost of living (as you mentioned--but other areas can match that). Lax gun laws (some might not see that as a positive). Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine. Anything under 85 mph on the Interstate appears to be acceptable (out of restricted urban areas, of course). Keys are great for fishing.

I've spent time in the 'Glades. Large carnivorous lizards. Non-indigenous snakes larger than nature intended--snakes that have been known to explode from the inside out from eating the large carnivorous lizards. Mosquito swarms that darken the sky. It always gave me the creeps down there. I guess it was mostly because I generally don't want to hang in a place where I'm not at the top of the food chain. :)

The part about 'Florida Man' was a joke. It's now pretty much a meme, anymore. You do get some weird ones down there.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the meth gators haven't eaten your stereo?
It's the guys vaping flakka that you have to worry about. They'll eat your face off--literally. I'd not infrequently read about trailers in the sticks catching fire and burning to the ground. Whenever that happens, always suspect a meth lab explosion.

Sold some hi-fi gear to a guy living in the Ocala forest. I was surprised he had electricity. Seemed like a really nice guy-- just didn't want to be around people. I could appreciate that. Didn't talk much during the transaction, but talking is overrated anyway. His money was good and that's all that counted to me, at the time.

If I was going to live in Florida I'd probably get a place in Cedar Key--not in the Keys, but on the west coast Gulf area. I think a man could live quiet and peaceful there. However, for other reasons I made the stop in East Tennessee. A different kind of low-stress level, far from the urban crowd kind of place.

Top Bottom