• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

70's Ideology?

egellings

Major Contributor
More like a venial sin. You don't go to hell for those. As for the de gustibus quote, I had to look it up. I was not offended by it at all because I learned something, trivial as it may be. It's NOT common knowledge. I am not against such expressions at all; it's just that there's no reason to use something that most people would have to look up, when a straightforward English expression would git 'er done, especially on a site more likely frequented by engineering types who are likely to be remedial in their Latin, rather than literary types, who may more likely understand the occasional Latin phrase. At any rate, this is my last comment on the subject.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OriginsOfEnglish.JPG

Rick "from Wikipedia, that abundant source of pedantry, some of which may even be accurate :)" Denney

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More like a venial sin. You don't go to hell for those. As for the de gustibus quote, I had to look it up. I was not offended by it at all because I learned something, trivial as it may be. It's NOT common knowledge. I am not against such expressions at all; it's just that there's no reason to use something that most people would have to look up, when a straightforward English expression would git 'er done, especially on a site more likely frequented by engineering types who are likely to be remedial in their Latin, rather than literary types, who may more likely understand the occasional Latin phrase. At any rate, this is my last comment on the subject.
It won't do we engineers any harm to have to look up a word or phrase from time to time :)

Rick "who was scolded--in person--by William F. Buckley his-own-self for expressing fear of difficult words" Denney

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Surprised how big French is.

They (Normans, i..e. French Viking spawn) ruled England for centuries. AND, unlike most invasions and take-overs they did not interbreed much with the English (something I find eminently sensible you know old boy). The tales about King Arthur and all that jazz are about the French ruling class.

It gets more complex, but I'll defer the digression...

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It gets more complex, but I'll defer the digression...[/QUOTE]

Yes, it does:
  • De empty sak don cyan lone. (An empty sack can’t stand alone.) This is a locally spoken style in certain parts of the Southern United States. We are all in this together and I'm pretty sure that most of us are not leaving here alive. So lets try to accept other ways of speaking, writing, etc & try to learn the best that we can from each other, and the music that we make & listen to. Hopefully our systems can reproduce it with enough fidelity that it moves us to enjoy emotionally what we find in common and accept that the differences (sometimes in just the way we hear things) can be things that we probably should learn about too. (that doesn't mean that we each have to like the same way of speaking or anything else the same, but we should understand that there are different ways of expressing things.)
Yep, I know that rambled. I hope that it makes sense to someone other than myself.

Katji

Major Contributor
Matti Otala's research lead to some incredible sounding and performing amplifiers with limited feedback which still stand the test of time, to this day, incidentally from the Harman stable of brands...
I always post my pics of that prototype [they built using NOKIA modem housings] in every thread on [most beautiful amplifiers]. The last time (here on this forum,) I did get a reaction, from someone who had posted pics of those...uhh, Italian amps...d'Agostini and Pathos.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I always post my pics of that prototype [they built using NOKIA modem housings] in every thread on [most beautiful amplifiers]. The last time (here on this forum,) I did get a reaction, from someone who had posted pics of those...uhh, Italian amps...d'Agostini and Pathos.

I don't think Dan D'Agostino is Italian. Italian-American, sure, and he does look a bit Italian.

egellings

Major Contributor
Sometimes cognates (Latin words that look like English ones) don't always work out, as an example Latin 'celer' which means swiftly-celery is swift? I 'spoze.

tuga

Major Contributor
What are people's rule of thumb for seeking advice without falling prey to charlatans / ideology / trends / misinformation etc?

Ignore magazines/reviews.
Ignore forum hype.
Learn how to listen.
Learn how to interpret measurements.
Learn how to correlate listening with measurements.
Listen to different gear to find out what you like and dislike.
Don't obsess, sit back and relax to the sound of good music.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Katji

Major Contributor
So there you have some examples of why some knowledge of Latin is good for understanding of English.
At least know what is from Latin and what is from French.

I moved to another school - from Standard 7 to 4th Form - where there was Latin, but I couldn't because I hadn't done it in Standard 6 and 7, and the Latin teacher was the old headmaster, who retired the next year. ...That was the only school in the city where it was forms instead of standards. The only other schools that did that were private schools in the country - private based in English public schools [which were not public.]

Digby

Major Contributor
Has anyone under the age of 50 on either side of the Atlantic, save those that went to a good school, been taught a lick of Latin?

Only the well read, aspirational middle classes will know a few well known phrases, likely because they looked it up after seeing it in print, so they wouldn't seem ignorant. All others of this age range will know essentially none, I'd imagine.

Top Bottom