Couple of reasons why Topping would be a better choice if I cared about a preamp:
- I can't afford it, so even the reasons below were reversed, I'd be going for the Topping anyway
- I can buy 120 Toppings for that money. So even if they fail, I'll have a spare one around.
- Less space, I don't have a dedicated listening room to put monstrous in size gear
- Never had a thing about Gryphon, so not missing much for not having one
- Knob-free? There goes another reason not to spend all that money, same experience elsewhere
- Power consumption, just to compliment my recycling habits
- Same sound quality I assume, so that's not an issue.
The only reason I would suggest someone to spend a fortune and buy Gryphon is if you want to add to the reasons your spouse will want to divorce you sooner than latter.