• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

5G trap in OTA HDTV antenna ?

audiopile

Noticed a add for a powered HDTV OTA antenna that made a point of having a 5G filter built into it. We get all our TV OTA and like a lot of folks -figured out what i needed for a antenna here about a decade back and it works amazingly well (nothing beats being on top of a ridge). But I'm curious -is this a thing or a "thing" in terms of the mostly UK based hysteria about all things 5G ? Can 5G interfere with the OTA HDTV signal ?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:
OP
A

audiopile

Ya -I get your point -there's all sorts of (especially low ERP) stuff that modern electronics is designed to ignore and does. My understanding of 5G is lots more mini-cell sites are part of it's formula/recipe = these are still relativly low power. None of the customers I installed antennas for maybe a decade? ago have reported any odd issues as 5G came online here (the Democratic Convention that didn't happen last year in Milwaukee got us a Lot more 5G service -a whole lot sooner-than we would normally expect for beertown)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

TimoJ

Noticed a add for a powered HDTV OTA antenna that made a point of having a 5G filter built into it. We get all our TV OTA and like a lot of folks -figured out what i needed for a antenna here about a decade back and it works amazingly well (nothing beats being on top of a ridge). But I'm curious -is this a thing or a "thing" in terms of the mostly UK based hysteria about all things 5G ? Can 5G interfere with the OTA HDTV signal ?
It depends what frequencies your HDTV channels are using. Upper UHF range may be effected i.e. if you have amplified antenna or mast amplifier without band limiting it may be overloaded by the nearby strong 4G or 5G signals. Over here lowest are around 750MHz.

OP
A

audiopile

I hadn't thought of the RF amplifier as a issue -I try to not use them if at all possible -the possibility of a 5G mini-cell on a utility pole say 40 feet from your HDTV antenna certainly exists - the ERP is still reasonably low -but that would be more of a issue than various wireless routers/switchs ,smart thermoststs , security sensors,bluetooth devices, etc. -so mybe a 5G trap ahead of a RF amplifier would be handy ?

Top Bottom