• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$575,000 (Spare Arm Tube Included)

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I always wonder how people who are able to spend this kind of money on gear came to their wealth. Surely must have been inheritance or royalty. A reasonable, succesful business person would be too smart imho for those stupid deals.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Notice the 0.55 Hz LP eccentricity is still there.

With all the extreme turntables produced, strange that no company attempts to design and produce tables with that in mind. Nakamichi did this once, other have experimental tables that varies speed with the tonearm side-movement.

Galfridus

I always wonder how people who are able to spend this kind of money on gear came to their wealth. Surely must have been inheritance or royalty. A reasonable, succesful business person would be too smart imho for those stupid deals.
Athletes and "entertainers",for example, can easily afford this. The same nouveau riche that buy a 10000 usd bottle of wine, then pour it down the drain when they realize they don't like wine. Welcome to the great tragic comedy.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Leporello

Athletes and "entertainers",for example, can easily afford this. The same nouveau riche that buy a 10000 usd bottle of wine, then pour it down the drain when they realize they don't like wine. Welcome to the great tragic comedy.
I sometimes wonder if those people actually buy these things. It is true that many audiophile manufacturers have tried to enter the luxury lifestyle market. However in the eyes of normal people audiophiles (yes, us) are still very much lonely bachelor freakos (yes, me), a far cry from any luxury lifestyle.

Leporello

From reading some of his writings, Fremer seems to believe that there is an infinite amount of information in a record groove that can somehow be extracted if the electro/mechanical device playing it could just be perfected.
Very much the same idea that Linnies believe in. You know, it is because analog has infinite resolution...

Galfridus

I sometimes wonder if those people actually buy these things. It is true that many audiophile manufacturers have tried to enter the luxury lifestyle market. However in the eyes of normal people audiophiles (yes, us) are still very much lonely bachelor freakos (yes, me), a far cry from any luxury lifestyle.
Lol. Well who the heck is buying them then?Do any of you ASR members have one? AND DON'T LIE!!!

Robin L

Master Contributor
From reading some of his writings, Fremer seems to believe that there is an infinite amount of information in a record groove that can somehow be extracted if the electro/mechanical device playing it could just be perfected.
Which is incorrect, as the available energy in the groove always reduces as the record is being played. The signal cut into the groove was already limited at the start of the groove, due to self noise [already higher than any digital source], but it gets worse as the groove effectively slows down as it progresses.

Leporello

Lol. Well who the heck is buying them then?Do any of you ASR members have one? AND DON'T LIE!!!
The real tragedy here is that it is likely quite ordinary people with some money (their retirement savings etc.) who think that their own self worth as music lovers depends on playing their records on stuff like this.

MCH

Major Contributor
Which is incorrect, as the available energy in the groove always reduces as the record is being played. The signal cut into the groove was already limited at the start of the groove, due to self noise [already higher than any digital source], but it gets worse as the groove effectively slows down as it progresses.
Energy in the groove?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Energy in the groove?
Yeah: the available energy. The diameter is 12" on the outer section of the groove, 4.75" on the inner part of the groove, a reduction of speed [thus available energy] of more than 60%. Can't do a thing about it.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Surely Fremer has seen how badly the music is mangled all too often to get it into the grooves in the first place? No audiophool wet-dream player like this can EVER get master quality out of a vinyl record - EVER! At least digital has some chance if the mastering is done right and I'm sure it was here that I read that DR differences are often due to bass compression rather than further up...

DSJR

Major Contributor

Royalty or 'old money' are too busy hanging onto what wealth they have and I don't think they'd dream about something so ostentatious.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Surely Fremer has seen how badly the music is mangled all too often to get it into the grooves in the first place? No audiophool wet-dream player like this can EVER get master quality out of a vinyl record - EVER! At least digital has some chance if the mastering is done right and I'm sure it was here that I read that DR differences are often due to bass compression rather than further up...
I've been reading his posts since the 1980s. This is his bailiwick, his claim to fame. He will insist that the LP is often superior to the master tape. Tell him there's no escape from IGD, he'll say it's not a real problem. And LP is the thing this year, so the good folk at Stereophile [and of course, Analog Planet} will post more and more of his stuff. I'd just like to point out that every time he shows the test results of speed, wow & flutter, you will see the sharp rise and fall of the waveform, later computed out to show test results. That indicates that the test record he's using is off center. Just imagine how many LPs are much more off-center than a test record.

Sonny1

I have an offer on one but will not pay a penny over $500k. Working out a deal for this TT and some solid gold cables to use with it. The cables are a no brained because I can wear them as jewelry when I’m out. Just kidding, I wouldn’t buy this or gold cables, ever if i won the lotto twice.

You have to think these guys only make one of these TTs at this price. I was going to say they sell one at this price but they probably don’t sell any. It’s got to be to greats some buzz and let them sell $50k TTs which are cheap by comparison. Or maybe I’m not traveling in these circles. My friends think I’m nuts when we talk about gear in “normal” price ranges. The guys who can afford this one probably feel the same way about us. I can’t imagine there are many guys who can afford this k e.

MCH

Major Contributor
Yeah: the available energy. The diameter is 12" on the outer section of the groove, 4.75" on the inner part of the groove, a reduction of speed [thus available energy] of more than 60%. Can't do a thing about it.
Get you, just was confused by the way it was worded. The available energy is obviously the same at the beginning and at the end of the groove, but the capability of the stylus to transform that energy gets diminished as the relative speed decreases. I guess you wanted to say that, but it is true, i can't find the way to put that in just a couple of words.
I was about to say that i am sure my New York Dolls record has 1000x more energy at the end than your Joao Gilberto at the beginning :D

Robin L

Master Contributor
Get you, just was confused by the way it was worded. The available energy is obviously the same at the beginning and at the end of the groove, but the capability of the stylus to transform that energy gets diminished as the relative speed decreases. I guess you wanted to say that, but it is true, i can't find the way to put that in just a couple of words.
I was about to say that i am sure my New York Dolls record has 1000x more energy at the end than your Joao Gilberto at the beginning :D
Probably not energy, but certainly more noise.

Semla

You have to think these guys only make one of these TTs at this price. I was going to say they sell one at this price but they probably don’t sell any.

They claim to have sold 20 or so already.
How many of these half-million-dollar, 725.5lb boats does TechDAS intend to float? I was told that TechDAS is at least halfway through a 40-unit run. The serial number of the review sample was 018.

Top Bottom