• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$575,000 (Spare Arm Tube Included)

Galfridus

I don't think people that buy stuff like this bother with reading reviews. The way it sounds is way down the list of purchasing considerations. Measurements? Forget it. These things are about social status, bragging rights, over compensation et c.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I actually read through the review, and all I can say is: What a load of codswallop.
I never really read Stereophile but I read something by Fremer before. I don't know if they were testing a turntable, or what, maybe they were evaluating speakers... But they listened to a digital recording and vinyl version, and of course he preferred the vinyl. I think he mentioned that the occasional clicks didn't bother him. But the funny thing was, he mentioned that they were different recordings/productions (same song, same artist).

Robin L

Master Contributor
Looks like it belongs in Gru's secret lair:
maxresdefault.jpg

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Rich boys have expensive toys. Perfect for your $50 million LA mansion.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

deprogrammed

Rich boys have expensive toys. Perfect for your $50 million LA mansion.
Pff Mortimer. I heard about your new Rolls-Royce. I acquired a 600K record player for the 1st floor cigar room. Come over later and hear what Lennie Tristano really sounds like.
Are we still on for Gstaad next week?

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Someone that can afford this already has millions thrown into their current system. Probably have the perfect room too. And I bet it will sound better than the best equipments measured here based on everything I mentioned up there. Period. No one said this hobby was goin to be cheap, skys the limit. Good for the future owner, I wished I could get a chance to hear such systems.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Someone that can afford this already has millions thrown into their current system. Probably have the perfect room too. And I bet it will sound better than the best equiments measured here based on everything I mentioned up there. Period. No one said this hobby was goin to be cheap, skys the limit. Good for the future owner, I wished I could get a chance to hear such systems.
I have heard a number of TechDas tables at audio shows. I hear nothing but artifacts in them just as well as any other LP player. They are nice to look at but that is it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is that the inner groove of an LP is at 3% distortion, no matter what. That's the IGD that's baked in---linear tracking arms won't help with this.
And high frequency response and HF noise get worse on inner grooves.

Galfridus

I have heard a number of TechDas tables at audio shows. I hear nothing but artifacts in them just as well as any other LP player. They are nice to look at but that is it.
"Testing needs to blind and randomized. Otherwise brand, design, price, pedigree, et c. interfere." What am I missing here? Was that a different Amir?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"Testing needs to blind and randomized. Otherwise brand, design, price, pedigree, et c. interfere." What am I missing here? Was that a different Amir?
There is always groove noise, and distortion as levels increase. I have a bunch of rips by the way from a TechDas turntable. They sound OK for a turntable but I must rather have the digital versions (when they are not overly compressed).

charleski

Major Contributor
Somewhere I have read that the relevant business in hi-fi is in the very cheap end and in the super expensive end, the middle chunk is irrelevant peanuts. I didn't believe that was true, but seeing this... maybe it is
From what I’ve read, the only real money in hifi outside the value sector lies in the high-value custom-install market (like Madrona :)). People who spend all their time making money don’t want to faff around setting up a hifi, they just want to push a button and get some nice music, and they’re willing to pay for that.

If you want to see a video of what this monster looks like in a room, here’s a video of Mikey clambering around it to get at some of his rekkids:

OP
jkasch

jkasch

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From reading some of his writings, Fremer seems to believe that there is an infinite amount of information in a record groove that can somehow be extracted if the electro/mechanical device playing it could just be perfected.

Top Bottom