• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$575,000 (Spare Arm Tube Included)

MCH

Major Contributor
What amazes me the most is, how many people is going to read that review? How can it be worth to send two technicians to spend 3 days assembling it and then one more time two days to disassemble it? These guys need to travel, eat, sleep somewhere and get a salary.... But then I realize, they are going to make 40 units at half a million each, it is a 20 million USD business!!
Somewhere I have read that the relevant business in hi-fi is in the very cheap end and in the super expensive end, the middle chunk is irrelevant peanuts. I didn't believe that was true, but seeing this... maybe it is

peniku8

Forum Donor
I'm interested in how good the SINAD of a Vinyl can actually be in a perfect scenario (like how accurately the medium/pressing itself is before it has been damaged by a needle once).
Theres this comment under the article:
It's now necessary to spend $575,000 to raise the crappy vinyl medium to the same level of resolution and accuracy and noise-free performance (except when there's dust on your LP) as a $700 Topping DS90SE DAC. Congratulations on your conservatism.
iirc the Topping DAC has a SINAD of around 120db. I'm not sure if vinyl approaches anywhere near 100db even. Any data/measurements on this? I've searched for it but couldn't find anything

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm interested in how good the SINAD of a Vinyl can actually be in a perfect scenario (like how accurately the medium/pressing itself is before it has been damaged by a needle once).

iirc the Topping DAC has a SINAD of around 120db. I'm not sure if vinyl approaches anywhere near 100db even. Any data/measurements on this? I've searched for it but couldn't find anything
IIRC, the medium "vinyl" has 60dB of dynamic range, and under that you have surface noise.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Yeah, crazy!!! But to me, no crazier than a $5000 record player.* I paid less than $100 for my CD/DVD/Blu-Ray player. No (audible) noise, no (audible) distortion, and flat frequency response.

I wonder how many they've sold. I wonder if they've sold any...

I'm sure TechDAS founder Hideaki Nishikawa has heard more turntables than I have, and I've heard a lot of them.
You're not supposed to hear the record player, you're supposed to hear the record. :p

* Sometimes I like to call it a "record player" because it's funnier... to be condescending. ;)

Robin L

Master Contributor

My understanding is that the inner groove of an LP is at 3% distortion, no matter what. That's the IGD that's baked in---linear tracking arms won't help with this.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Vinyl is quite a bit worse than tape in terms of fidelity. Tape is far inferior to digital. So... Why?

That said I did enjoy reading about the engineering and construction of this behemoth. All kinds of interesting design work. Whether or not it matters, I have no idea, but... I dunno. I'd rather listen to a CD or lossless streaming through my active speakers.

You're not supposed to hear the record player, you're supposed to hear the record.

This is my view as well, but vinyl as a medium (both the player and the record itself) is so hilariously nonlinear it's far from unrealistic to expect different turntables to sound different from one another.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
IIRC, the medium "vinyl" has 60dB of dynamic range, and under that you have surface noise.
I believe that's the "theoretical best" and/or it depends on how it's measured. The average noise can be very-low before you get that one loud click. Otherwise -60dB could be acceptable, and I would have been very happy with that in the analog days.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You just can't fix stupid!

$575,000 for this ???
snap-crackle-pop.jpg

Top Bottom