• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$55000 Nordost cables for $60.

OP
N

noiseangel

Very rarely, meaning they sometimes are? Given how much cheaper these are you could buy 50 of them for cheaper than the real deal and you might strike gold on the cable lottery. :D
That's what Audioquest want you to believe.

OP
N

noiseangel

Read a review on Cardas cables by some flunky called Steve Huff.Apparently if you can't hear the difference when you change cables your system isn't good enough.So there you go,we all have rubbish systems.

dorakeg

But since these are obviously fakes how would we know that the material used is good at all? Wouldn't it be better to buy a cable at this price point by another manufacturer that doesn't have to go for the fancy look ?
Hmm... They do look very decent and very well constructed and last really long!!

I regularly bought these fake cables from Ali express to try them out and I have those Odin cables.

They are extremely well constructed. It makes me wonder if the real Odin cables are made in the same factory as these. I had them for over 5yrs already. It's still as flexible and the clear insulation is not cracking.

The only downside are the connectors/plugs. Finishing is rough and poor quality.

bkatbamna

Probably, they saw the cable and reverse "engineered" them, But what you said is possible too.

sajgre

Damn, there are 2 reviews from my home country Slovenia, and there are only 2 millions of us. Maybe we are just better at appreciating sound of golden electrons than the rest of the world.

OP
N

noiseangel

...or your hearing is not good enough.
Like 73 year old GOLDEN EARED audio reviewers whose hearing cannot possibly be what it was 50 years ago, like Fremer et al?

Toblerone

I have already volunteered to send Amir the Chinese one. We just need a nice ASR reader to send the 55K one.
Maybe the testing is limited by Amir's equipment. Does his equipment cost more than the cables? If not how can he measure accurately when one costs so much more than the other?

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
Equipment capability and cost do not always correlate, i.e. it's possible for a cheaper item to either outperform or at least equal the performance of a more expensive one. This is especially true when prices are stratospheric for what you get. Cables and other accessories are an example of this price / performance mismatch.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thinking of this from a business perspective.

While I don't live under a rock, I was surprised that anyone had the balls to offer an IEC power cord for $55K. Assuming they offer a "deep discount" of 50% or more off, I still can't imagine anyone buying one.

Let's imagine they produced a few and sent them around on loan to reviewers and other influencers... would the goal be to get people to buy their lower cost alternatives that demonstrate similar "goodness"?

While I do not believe that there are benefits to whatever "engineering" has gone into these cables, there is very real CNC machining, wood finishing and engraving, and other fairly costly manufacturing that is involved in producing these cables. In low numbers these cables probably cost hundreds of dollars to produce... my question is why? I can't imagine anyone dinking $55K or even $25K worth of Kool-Aid. What is the thinking at Nordost?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the testing is limited by Amir's equipment. Does his equipment cost more than the cables? If not how can he measure accurately when one costs so much more than the other?
+1 would be trolled again

egellings

Major Contributor
Thinking of this from a business perspective.

While I don't live under a rock, I was surprised that anyone had the balls to offer an IEC power cord for $55K. Assuming they offer a "deep discount" of 50% or more off, I still can't imagine anyone buying one.

Let's imagine they produced a few and sent them around on loan to reviewers and other influencers... would the goal be to get people to buy their lower cost alternatives that demonstrate similar "goodness"?

While I do not believe that there are benefits to whatever "engineering" has gone into these cables, there is very real CNC machining, wood finishing and engraving, and other fairly costly manufacturing that is involved in producing these cables. In low numbers these cables probably cost hundreds of dollars to produce... my question is why? I can't imagine anyone dinking $55K or even $25K worth of Kool-Aid. What is the thinking at Nordost?
They'll find true believer followers who will buy the cables and then listen through them while enjoying a glass of Kool Aid.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They'll find true believer followers who will buy the cables and then listen through them while enjoying a glass of Kool Aid.
Meanwhile turning their nose up at the knock-offs, which were very possibly made in the same far-east factory.

OP
N

noiseangel

I received my CARDAS REFERENCE POWER CABLE from AliExpress today and I have to say it's genuine.

It says so on the cable. Made in USA. Patent numbers. Cardas name on the side. I'm going to sell it for $1000 and start my own HiFi shop.

As far as sound goes the soundstage is so expansive my neighbor complained about it entering his living room.

All this for $29 delivered. I can't even by a Cardas baseball cap for that.

IMG20221207112706.jpg
IMG20221207112713.jpg
IMG20221207112725.jpg
IMG20221207112759.jpg

Top Bottom