• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

500 euro stereo amplifier for q3020is - Lowest possible noise floor as I have sensitive ears.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Back to established not expensive internationally available amps just for a minute, would any of the Yamaha models be of interest?

Hiss from tweeters these days? is usually from efficient active models with cheap amps driving them internally (no passive crossover either to pad the hiss down). I speak as a Tinnitus sufferer with lower frequency noises in my ears too and can't hear quiet high frequency noises as I once used to, so maybe a totally different symptom to the OP here.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Cant believe. If there is a hiss, it has to come from the source. Or the amp is broken.

So first we should look where the problem realy is.
Disconnect all sources from the amp. Use aux or tape input as source. Than go up with volume, and tell when hiss starts to be hearable.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cant believe. If there is a hiss, it has to come from the source. Or the amp is broken.

So first we should look where the problem realy is.
Disconnect all sources from the amp. Use aux or tape input as source. Than go up with volume, and tell when hiss starts to be hearable.

he already did that.

I own a gaming computer that I'm trying to connect these to, I use a Optical cable to connect them to the pc. The problem seems to be in the amplifiers tho as they speakers hiss without any sources connected to them

tomtoo

Major Contributor
he already did that.

I did read, but i like to know at what level it is hearable without any connection. With tape or aux on the input selector. There should be no or nearly no noise. I want to make me a picture of the problem.

That means for a start NO input cables just the amp.
Its hard to believe that a amp with 110db s/n ratio should have so much selfnoise.
For the workbench in the basement i use a 25euro china tpa 3116 amp and there is nearly no selfnoise. At full power with ear at the tweater there is a littel. And we talk about completly different regions of s/n ratio.

Last edited:
OP
A
Back to established not expensive internationally available amps just for a minute, would any of the Yamaha models be of interest?

Hiss from tweeters these days? is usually from efficient active models with cheap amps driving them internally (no passive crossover either to pad the hiss down). I speak as a Tinnitus sufferer with lower frequency noises in my ears too and can't hear quiet high frequency noises as I once used to, so maybe a totally different symptom to the OP here.

I suffer the exact same as you, any solution to my problem? Perhaps I should get monitor near field speakers rather than my current so called loud speakers.

OP
A
I did read, but i like to know at what level it is hearable without any connection. With tape or aux on the input selector. There should be no or nearly no noise. I want to make me a picture of the problem.

That means for a start NO input cables just the amp.
Source is no source, it's the same constant hiss, maybe it's because I have loudspeakers on my desk rather than near field monitors.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Source is no source, it's the same constant hiss, maybe it's because I have loudspeakers on my desk rather than near field monitors.

Ok you have the amp without any input cables switched to aux or tape and then at what level of your volume knob, you heare noise?

This are not very efficient speakers. This has absolutly nothing to do with nearfield speakers or not.

Last edited:

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I suffer the exact same as you, any solution to my problem? Perhaps I should get monitor near field speakers rather than my current so called loud speakers.
In that case you need to understand what type and loudness induces your tinnitus.
For example, if you close tweeters with anything and still will have hiss sensations, it's not amp problem.
Maybe it's just due to sound ... any sound or specific frequency combination.

DSJR

Major Contributor

You may find it worse...

I've only heard the current Q Acoustics models briefly and liked them a lot (they're *subjectively sighted* just a little 'grubbier' sounding' than more exalted boxes costing multiples of the price - and I'm being really critical here as on their own, they're lovely!!!) I certainly wouldn't say they're in the slightest bit fizz/tizz or false sheen and I found the overall balance quite 'safe' really, even Naim driven :D

I mentioned the Yamaha models because the basic amp chassis has been around nigh on thirty years now, it's stable and reliable I think and what's mainly changed is the input boards and front/rear panel styling and layouts. Noise, even with the tone circuits connected, is below most audible levels via speakers.

A silly subjective comment regardless of amp - DON'T skimp on the speaker wire gauge, as a thicker good quality cable (say, 4mm which is 12 gauge I think) even in short <2m runs, won't hurt at all and is cheap enough (in the UK, Fisual do some at least with proper copper strands - avoid copper plated aluminium).

tomtoo

Major Contributor
You may find it worse...

I've only heard the current Q Acoustics models briefly and liked them a lot (they're *subjectively sighted* just a little 'grubbier' sounding' than more exalted boxes costing multiples of the price - and I'm being really critical here as on their own, they're lovely!!!) I certainly wouldn't say they're in the slightest bit fizz/tizz or false sheen and I found the overall balance quite 'safe' really, even Naim driven :D

I mentioned the Yamaha models because the basic amp chassis has been around nigh on thirty years now, it's stable and reliable I think and what's mainly changed is the input boards and front/rear panel styling and layouts. Noise, even with the tone circuits connected, is below most audible levels via speakers.

A silly subjective comment regardless of amp - DON'T skimp on the speaker wire gauge, as a thicker good quality cable (say, 4mm which is 12 gauge I think) even in short <2m runs, won't hurt at all and is cheap enough (in the UK, Fisual do some at least with proper copper strands - avoid copper plated aluminium).

Not that iam against good speaker wires. I just dont get how this should influence hiss?

Top Bottom