• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

500$ Budget for Headphones and Amp/Dac

OP
W

Waldfee

Can anyone tell me the difference between this package e30 dac and l30 amp and the dx30 pro + (besides price xd)? Why would it be better to have dedicated amp and dac.

RHO

Major Contributor
Can anyone tell me the difference between this package e30 dac and l30 amp and the dx30 pro + (besides price xd)? Why would it be better to have dedicated amp and dac.
You can check both on this site. Amir has done measurements on both.
I'll have to check for myself, but I would expect the stack to be marginally better than the all in one. But I would dare to put money on you not being able to hear any difference. (and neither would I ;))

someguyontheinternet

The differences would be more in the vein of:
  • 2 separate components require more space and cables
  • if you only have one component and it fails, you need to replace everything. If you have 2 separate components you likely only have to replace one of them in case of failure.

OP
W

Waldfee

Okay so i cant get the topping cause its only available from shenzenaudio and they send it from china. Problem is here in germany u pay a huge costums tax and extra tax (7%) on top of the 200€/$. Any other suggestion for amp/dac for 200€/$?

Bleib

Major Contributor
Since you mentioned gaming

Source: Soundblaster AE5-plus or Topping DX3pro+
Headphones: AKG K371 as they are closed, you'll hear the action far better than with open ones

(This is why I don't use the hifiman 400se for gaming but rather AKG 271 or 371)

You shouldn't have any custom charges on Topping through Amazon.de, atleast I've had nothing through .se (Sweden)
Even hifigo has send me both PA5 and EX5 without any custom charges

OP
W

Waldfee

Since you mentioned gaming

Source: Soundblaster AE5-plus or Topping DX3pro+
Headphones: AKG K371 as they are closed, you'll hear the action far better than with open ones

(This is why I don't use the hifiman 400se for gaming but rather AKG 271 or 371)

You shouldn't have any custom charges on Topping through Amazon.de, atleast I've had nothing through .se (Sweden)
Even hifigo has send me both PA5 and EX5 without any custom charges
Yeah but sweden aint germany xD. This ain't a european problem its a german problem since june 2021 :/. Checking out the akg atm

Bleib

Major Contributor
Yeah but sweden aint germany xD. This ain't a european problem its a german problem since june 2021 :/. Checking out the akg atm
AKG has been reviewed here:

Checked hifigo too? It says any costum charges are pre-paid

OP
W

Waldfee

AKG has been reviewed here:

Checked hifigo too? It says any costum charges are pre-paid
i doub't that. On top of the 200 € u pay 40€ tax (19%) and 14 € costum charge. How would they make a profit on me? Maybe the pre pay it but then when the parcel driver arrives, he gon charge me those 54 €

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i doub't that. On top of the 200 € u pay 40€ tax (19%) and 14 € costum charge. How would they make a profit on me? Maybe the pre pay it but then when the parcel driver arrives, he gon charge me those 54 €
I've got a set of AKG 702 headphones that I adore. They haven't been reviewed here (the similar 701s were reviewed and didn't fair terribly well). I've been using AKG in studio and for recreational listening for a long time and I love them. As others mentioned the 371 measures very well as well.

At your budget I wouldn't recommend a separate DAC and amplifier. Combo units are more than good enough.

I note that on Amazon Germany, the Topping DX3+ is €199, the AKG 371 is €129, and the AKG 702 is €144. You can easily get the Topping and either model AKG for right around your €500 budget after tax.

OP
W

Waldfee

I note that on Amazon Germany, the Topping DX3+ is €199, the AKG 371 is €129, and the AKG 702 is €144. You can easily get the Topping and either model AKG for right around your €500 budget after tax.
yeah but it wont ship until june and it comes from china which means i have to pay costum fees. Not sure if i wanna buy two HP from the start. The AkG702 looks good at rtings.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
yeah but it wont ship until june and it comes from china which means i have to pay costum fees. Not sure if i wanna buy two HP from the start. The AkG702 looks good at rtings.
Not suggesting buying both, just suggesting one or the other.

Someone else recommended the iFi Zen DAC/HP Amp - you should be able to find that for around €100 (they're $129 CAD in Canada) and that's a totally decent alternative to the Topping.

OP
W

Waldfee

Not suggesting buying both, just suggesting one or the other.

Someone else recommended the iFi Zen DAC/HP Amp - you should be able to find that for around €100 (they're $129 CAD in Canada) and that's a totally decent alternative to the Topping.
I saw the rec for the iFi but not convinced after some research. I'll see tmr ;D

OP
W

Waldfee

Late to this, but can't you just buy the Topping DX3 Pro+ from Audiophonics and the Sennheiser HD 560S from Thomann?
Just found a spanish seller on amazon for the Topping DX3 Pro+ that has free delivery and it will arrive within next 4-5 days. Bought the HD 560S from Saturn for 10€ less

Thanks all for your help. I'll get back when i have the gear and tested it :) <3
btw: Audiophonics charges 12€ for shipping. They say its free at 199€ but once u change to germany price changes to 197 € xD they try to make u pay that shipping fee badly.

RHO

Major Contributor
Okay so i cant get the topping cause its only available from shenzenaudio and they send it from china. Problem is here in germany u pay a huge costums tax and extra tax (7%) on top of the 200€/$. Any other suggestion for amp/dac for 200€/$?
It's also available in Europe. Check the links in one of my previous posts.

RHO

Major Contributor
Get something for a few euro with it. Saves you about 10euro in shipping.

Great price for the HD560s. Good find.
Just found a spanish seller on amazon for the Topping DX3 Pro+ that has free delivery and it will arrive within next 4-5 days. Bought the HD 560S from Saturn for 10€ less

Thanks all for your help. I'll get back when i have the gear and tested it :) <3
btw: Audiophonics charges 12€ for shipping. They say its free at 199€ but once u change to germany price changes to 197 € xD they try to make u pay that shipping fee badly.

OP
W

Waldfee

Update: Love the hd560s. Very comfy after 2 days (first two days was very tight on the head). Not enough bass for my taste but its okay for my first hp's. I returned the dx3 pro+ because i couldn't hear a difference. The HP gets loud enough via Laptop.

Reactions: RHO

LaL

Update: Love the hd560s. Very comfy after 2 days (first two days was very tight on the head). Not enough bass for my taste but its okay for my first hp's. I returned the dx3 pro+ because i couldn't hear a difference. The HP gets loud enough via Laptop.

You should try the Air Dac, it's X-Bass boost is perfect with the hd560.
https://Amazon.DE/dp/B09T6Y27R1

Last edited:
Top Bottom