• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$500 amplifiers to test and review?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So we are doing a ton of source (DAC) reviews. I think we need to fill that in with at least an amplifier or two.

What are some reasonably priced ones that should be measured but have not been?

Examples I am thinking about are PS Audio Sprout. That one has been reviewed and unfortunately has less than good measurements: https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-sprout-integrated-amplifier-measurements

Are chinese companies doing decent job here?

What's worth testing?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use 3 Behringer A500s in my active B&W 801s Each one costs £165 brand new($225) including our 20% sales tax.

I've made some measurements myself, but wouldn't mind seeing another set.

S

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They are too loud for use in same room unless modded.
That's key. I am looking for domestic products, not rack mounted, fan powered commercial products.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I use 3 Behringer A500s in my active B&W 801s Each one costs £165 brand new($225) including our 20% sales tax.
Man that is incredible value. As much as I just said I like a domestic looking one, could not resist ordering this for $199 shipped in two days on Amazon! https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-A500-BEHRINGER/dp/B000CZ0RL0

Do you see any safety/regulatory signage on it? I see nothing on the back panel picture on Amazon. Hopefully it is safety tested.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
These have a CE on top...

https://www.solarisnetwork.com/used/a500-reference/33508

and

upload_2018-1-13_17-32-1.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://emotiva.com/product/a-300/

Haven't heard one, but maybe worth reviewing. A300 stereo amp $399 for 150 wpc with 120 db SNR at rated output.

They also have the A150 for $299 at 75 wpc.

I don't know about the Behringer, but similarly priced and spec'd QSC amps run the output stage in class B. I don't think that will be high fidelity. The Crown's in that market segment are class D which should offer potentially better fidelity than class B. Anyone know about the Behringer A500's?

I would vote for reviewing one of the Crown's even though not really a domestic amplifier.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, now you tell me. :) And from back in 2007 no less!

Oh well. Maybe it can be a reference for testing or a warm-up act.

Should be mentioned that Behringer has a quality control that is less than optimal, and they occasionally make changes to their products without announcing it. So a follow up review from you would still be interesting, Amir!

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Should be mentioned that Behringer has a quality control that is less than optimal, and they occasionally make changes to their products without announcing it. So a follow up review from you would still be interesting, Amir!
I've got three in my home system, and two more used for occasional PA, and never had a problem with any of them. They operate in Class AB, and have been totally reliable for about 5 years now.

My own measurements show that their spec is a bit optimistic in a couple of areas, but nothing to worry about. Safety-wise they look fine, properly earthed and with decent commercial quality components used. I've seen the various reports, both The Audio Critic and the Matrix Audio ones, but it would be really interesting for me to see something more comprehensive than the AC.

I like the metering, and the comprehensive I/O arrangements, and that it seems properly protected, at least, one of mine suffered no damage when I put a screwdriver across the output at full power. Big flash but no damage to the amp....the screwdriver was never the same again.

S

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
https://emotiva.com/product/a-300/

Haven't heard one, but maybe worth reviewing. A300 stereo amp $399 for 150 wpc with 120 db SNR at rated output.

They also have the A150 for $299 at 75 wpc.
+1 Very curious what Emotiva is delivering here. Old school A/B, linear ps, etc at such a low cost. What corners are being cut and what are the trade-offs being made in the sq and reliability departments?

Top Bottom