• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$500 amplifiers to test and review?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The 5 channel unit is a bargain IMO.

Looks like they are using inrush current limiting and solid state switches. All looks to be good quality stuff. I can't see what they are doing for protection however, are there DC/Over current protectors/relays on each power amp board sitting near the banana sockets?

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Over budget but class ab and multichannel..,

https://hifipilot.uk/store/iotavx-avxp1

These are good robust amps - I have two of them, but in their previous guise of Nakamichi AVP1 - purchased for £499 each almost 4 years ago. The continued cost of using the Nakamichi brand name was too much for the importer hence the name change. As I mentioned in this thread - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/multichannel-amps-for-active-systems.2417/ they are very similar to the Emotiva UPA-7 which was quite well reviewed and seemed a better amp than Emotiva's later SMPS powered replacement the UPA-700.

My pair are currently powering my Maggie 5.1 system.

For around $310, you can build an ICEPower-based stereo power amplifier with the following:
  • ICEPower 200ASC Class D amplifier module (with built-in power supply) for channel 1 ($130)
  • ICEPower 200AC Class D amplifier module (bus-power-chained to the 200ASC) for channel 2 ($70)
  • Ghent Audio Case-kit (includes speaker binding posts, balanced input connectors, and wiring harnesses for the 200ASC and 200AC boards ($110)
From what I understand, this is a dead simple build; there isn't anything additional needed (just the 3 items in the list above), and the build only requires some easy soldering to the outputs (speaker binding posts) and inputs (XLR connectors); no soldering required on the boards at all due to the pre-built wiring harnesses.

I definitely plan on building this, but I currently have too many projects on my (honey) to-do list, so I won't get around to it anytime soon. Pretty good deal for a less than $500 class D power amp that puts out 200 wpc into 4 ohms, IMO.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Class D can be all wonderful and nice until you give them 10KHz square wave and then it all goes out the window very quickly.
Well the first harmonic component of a 10kHz square wave is at 30kHz and inaudible so most class-D amps should have filtered it out

TimW

Major Contributor
For around $310, you can build an ICEPower-based stereo power amplifier with the following:
  • ICEPower 200ASC Class D amplifier module (with built-in power supply) for channel 1 ($130)
  • ICEPower 200AC Class D amplifier module (bus-power-chained to the 200ASC) for channel 2 ($70)
  • Ghent Audio Case-kit (includes speaker binding posts, balanced input connectors, and wiring harnesses for the 200ASC and 200AC boards ($110)
From what I understand, this is a dead simple build; there isn't anything additional needed (just the 3 items in the list above), and the build only requires some easy soldering to the outputs (speaker binding posts) and inputs (XLR connectors); no soldering required on the boards at all due to the pre-built wiring harnesses.

I definitely plan on building this, but I currently have too many projects on my (honey) to-do list, so I won't get around to it anytime soon. Pretty good deal for a less than $500 class D power amp that puts out 200 wpc into 4 ohms, IMO.
I was very interested in these products when the ICEPower modules first came to Parts Express. But now I'm not sure whether this actually has good measured performance. Hopefully Amir can measure these modules in the future.

Attachments

• 326-108--icepower-200asc-class-d-amp-with-power-supply-module-1x200w-data-sheet.pdf
    443.8 KB · Views: 418
I was very interested in these products when the ICEPower modules first came to Parts Express. But now I'm not sure whether this actually has good measured performance. Hopefully Amir can measure these modules in the future.

Yes, it would be interesting to compare the ICEPower-supplied measurements with Amir's.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Pioneer VSX-S520D & SX-S30DAB, two "slimline" AV receivers by Pioneer
I saw those in my recent research. It nicely gets rid of one of the big problems with AVRs which is their massive size. I will ponder purchasing one for review. :)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are good robust amps - I have two of them, but in their previous guise of Nakamichi AVP1 - purchased for £499 each almost 4 years ago. The continued cost of using the Nakamichi brand name was too much for the importer hence the name change. As I mentioned in this thread - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/multichannel-amps-for-active-systems.2417/ they are very similar to the Emotiva UPA-7 which was quite well reviewed and seemed a better amp than Emotiva's later SMPS powered replacement the UPA-700.

My pair are currently powering my Maggie 5.1 system.

Please don't take this as me having a go at IOTAVX as what I've read of their gear has been very good and it seems to be very good value, but I always find it sad when a formerly great name is rented out to companies with no connection to the true company in order to add some gravitas to new companies wares. The original Nakamichi was one of the truly great names of hi-fi, their cassette decks were legendary and engineered to remarkable standards. I had a CR7 cassette deck and no other piece of hi-fi gear I've seen gets close to the sheer depth of engineering and build quality of that cassette deck. I know it isn't just an audio thing and you see it in all industries, and in some cases (such as Bugatti cars) the newer iteration can be spectacularly good but I still find it a little sad.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

They may need an input buffer as well. Otherwise the frequency response will not be accurate. That is the case with the boards miniDSP uses in their plate amps.

Those ICE boards are among the first ones B&O introduced. I have a D-Sonic brand amp with two of the 500ASP modules and room for a third. If somebody wants it, I'd sell it for a lot less than the cost of two new modules...

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it interesting that the price only goes up $300 for the 5 channel version over the 2 channel.
I agree with the clean inside wiring statement but whats that got to do with the outside wiring hell of a 5 channel rig (or a 11 like mine)? :eek:

"Spaghetti Free Zone
Ever look behind a stereo rack and were aghast at the sight of the spaghetti entanglement of dozens of wires? Not here. Neat, clean wiring in tubing designed for the aerospace industry. Clean wiring. Clean layout. Better sound."
15594-Rev-06.jpg

15593-Rev-06.jpg

Is that an old ATI, or a knock off? Even the 12V trigger board looks the same.

They may need an input buffer as well. Otherwise the frequency response will not be accurate. That is the case with the boards miniDSP uses in their plate amps.

According to the ICEPower 200ASC data sheet, the amplifier module includes an input buffer; under the "Input/Output Interfaces" section, there is an "Input Stage" subsection that says, "The balanced input section provides signal buffering and anti-aliasing filtering." Figure 18 in the document shows a diagram of the input buffer components, which (based on my limited knowledge) looks like it is comprised of 2 capacitors, 6 resistors and an Op Amp (see screenshot below).

Given this (and my limited knowledge on these things), do you think additional input buffering is required?

ICEPowerInputBufffer.jpg

Attachments

• ICEPowerInputBufffer.jpg
    ICEPowerInputBufffer.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Archimago has a review of Yamaha 781 receiver with 103db DR and -104db noise. Relatively recent. Yamaha's recent AVRs claim to have 32 bit BurrBrown DACs. Plus you get DSP :) I bought Yamaha 683 on a one day Amazon sale for half the price (300 vs 600). So my suggestion will be to lookout for those sales of last year models, and get one which fits 500 limit.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I agree on the crown amps. XLS2502 has been a powerhouse for me.
Someone was kind enough to buy and dropship a Crown XLS1502 to me. So I will measure it at some point.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Someone was kind enough to buy and dropship a Crown XLS1502 to me. So I will measure it at some point.
WOW, that was a very generous move.
Thanks

Top Bottom