• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$500 amplifiers to test and review?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I did not expect this at all from a tiny 8oW (into 4 ohm) amp.

Ballpark guesticalculating (one speaker):

If 1 watt = 90dB

80W = 109dB
300W = 114.7dB

Loud but still comfortable (at least for a while) is about 85dB (for me), peaks around 100dB.
85dB = 0.316 watts

Right now, listening to TV, seems kinda loud (news)...
72dB average = 0.016W

upload_2018-2-1_19-51-36.png

Reactions: trl

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ballpark guesticalculating (one speaker):

If 1 watt = 90dB

80W = 109dB
300W = 114.7dB

Loud but still comfortable (at least for a while) is about 85dB (for me), peaks around 100dB.
85dB = 0.316 watts

Right now, listening to TV, seems kinda loud (news)...
72dB = 0.016W

Ear to speakers in my case is about 2.5 meters. The specs are typically @1W @1m. Your guesticulations did not include listening distance, so what am I missing?

Also, I find it hard to trust specs. Some amps are rated at high wattage but lose the plot in the lower frequencies.

Dimitri

Under $500:

How about https://www.parts-express.com/lepai...with-bluetooth-aptx-and-power-supply--310-298

The last two will be even more interesting to measure them with at least two diffrent power supplies.

https://www.parts-express.com/sure-...-amplifier-board-(t-amp-technology)--320-3340

also

https://www.parts-express.com/sure-...class-d-audio-amplifier-board-t-amp--320-3360

If you have an aversion to testing "bare boards" and you'd rather test a "packaged" amp with an on-off switch and input jack and a power cord, I could get one of those, put in a box with a powersupply, slap some wood paneling on it and a $495.00 tag on and and send it over to you for testing :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I now have an SMSL AD18 dac/amp. Amir, I would highly recommend measuring this unit.
My TODO list is a mile long but I went ahead and ordered this one too.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

raideater

The Topping MX3 is interesting. Dac, headphone amp, and speaker amp for a low price. It's new so there aren't many impressions of it online.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am starting to get a feeling I should as Topping to send me one of everything they make. :)

Let me get through reviewing the few I have now and I will consider buying that one too.

ash

At $230 the emotiva BasX A-100 is pretty much the most powerful headphone amplifier out there and a decent speaker amp
i would love to see measurements with the crazy jumpers on and off

Jorj

Forum Donor

Dilliw

My TODO list is a mile long but I went ahead and ordered this one too.

Hello Amirm,

I've been reading your reviews but as I have the AD18 in my system now I decided to register and post in front of this review. I'm really looking forward to this one to see if the measurements match up with my own subjective thoughts.

Class D is the future and new breakthroughs will be in consumer products resulting in affordable, great sound everywhere. The AD18 isn't there yet (my opinion) but FDA + DSP will probably get us there until they invent something totally different tomorrow.

Thank you for your efforts in testing all of this gear.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Welcome to the forum Dilliw. I am a fan of class D just the same. My Pioneer Elite runs nice and cool in our living room entertainment cabinet unlike the Onkyo that used to even cook the granite on top of it!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
anyone got thoughts on the Schiit Vidar?

Yeah, it's another piece of Schiit.

Early models would shut down unless you used just the right speaker cable. Fixed with no explanation of what was going on. Seriously, maybe its just a bad run of luck over like a half dozen products for years. I simply wouldn't trust that company to do a good job. Unless it was something totally unique in features or abilities I think the Vidar would get avoided. Too many little gotchas with too many Schiit products. Just pick some other brand would be my thoughts.

Disruptor

Early models would shut down unless you used just the right speaker cable. Fixed with no explanation of what was going on. Seriously, maybe its just a bad run of luck over like a half dozen products for years. I simply wouldn't trust that company to do a good job. Unless it was something totally unique in features or abilities I think the Vidar would get avoided. Too many little gotchas with too many Schiit products. Just pick some other brand would be my thoughts.

alright this sounds depressing thanks for the warning

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
alright this sounds depressing thanks for the warning

Maybe I should do more than throw cold water on the idea without reference.

We have at least some of the DACs that have very, very poor actually incompetent levels of isolation from the effects of the USB input.

We have other DACs from that company with very, very poor linearity in a way that is bizarre.

There is the infamous glitch in the waveform of the Yiggy.

There is the power amp Stereophile tested with some bizarre auto bias function that meant it was essentially untestable as distortion grows over time with assurance it could never happen with music.

Then the Vidar amps sent to Chris over at Computer Audiophile shut down being very fussy about cables.

Then there is the practice of fixing or altering some of these issues without telling anyone during on going production. Only to later let word out.

Maybe a couple I am forgetting.

In short with that many faux pas by a single company in a short period of time, why bother with them. Just get another brand. Their highest qualification is they talk a good game, and game forums to build reputation in a most excellent way that unfortunately is not matched in the excellence of their products.

Dana reed

I've had my Vidar since July, and it's been reliable. Sounds much improved compared to the JVC receiver from 1995 that it replaced. Paired with a Saga as the preamp, and the Bifrost Multibit (which is universally panned here) using a Mac Mini with the USB input. (and a CD transport connected to the coax and a TV connected to the optical)
I had also in my past heard USB activity when I had connected from a Mac to a Modi via USB. I fixed that using a USB hub to isolate it. I hear no such issues on this system (which has their Gen5 USB) connecting directly.
I can't say anything about measurements, since I don't have the hardware to look for noise down at those levels, but I can say that with the preamp turned up full and playback stopped I can't hear any noise unless I put my ear on the speaker, and under those same settings, the music I tested (Tool's Lateralus) put out ~100 dB 15 feet away in a room 30 feet long by 15 feet wide and 8 foot ceilings. That was with no audible distortion, which I could not say with my old JVC
**edit**, which makes some sense, as the JVC had a spec of 0.7% THD at 105 W into 8 Ohm and the Vidar has a spec of 0.01% at 100 W into 8 Ohm **edit**

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had my Vidar since July, and it's been reliable. Sounds much improved compared to the JVC receiver from 1995 that it replaced. Paired with a Saga as the preamp, and the Bifrost Multibit (which is universally panned here) using a Mac Mini with the USB input. (and a CD transport connected to the coax and a TV connected to the optical)
I had also in my past heard USB activity when I had connected from a Mac to a Modi via USB. I fixed that using a USB hub to isolate it. I hear no such issues on this system (which has their Gen5 USB) connecting directly.
I can't say anything about measurements, since I don't have the hardware to look for noise down at those levels, but I can say that with the preamp turned up full and playback stopped I can't hear any noise unless I put my ear on the speaker, and under those same settings, the music I tested (Tool's Lateralus) put out ~100 dB 15 feet away in a room 30 feet long by 15 feet wide and 8 foot ceilings. That was with no audible distortion, which I could not say with my old JVC
**edit**, which makes some sense, as the JVC had a spec of 0.7% THD at 105 W into 8 Ohm and the Vidar has a spec of 0.01% at 100 W into 8 Ohm **edit**

So maybe I need to soften my opinion of Schiit. Their new amps are better than a 23 year old JVC receiver. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom