• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$500 amplifiers to test and review?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Don't you want open and airy sound?
For the original request, i.e. $500 amps, I like something that shows how much power (bass) the amps have and how bright they get if they are distorted. I have a speaker in mind for that.

At the same time, I like to arrive at a recommended speaker to go with these much cheaper amps. I think a smaller desktop speakers may be a better match for them??? I am thinking like my pro monitors but they are powered.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the original request, i.e. $500 amps, I like something that shows how much power (bass) the amps have and how bright they get if they are distorted. I have a speaker in mind for that.

At the same time, I like to arrive at a recommended speaker to go with these much cheaper amps. I think a smaller desktop speakers may be a better match for them??? I am thinking like my pro monitors but they are powered.

Another case of myself being the only person who understands my joke. I need to work on this :) I was referring to the speaker cabinet photo you posted which basically shows an opening where the driver/cone goes hence being "open and airy".

Seriously though, I would recommend higher sensitivity speakers for 2 reasons -

1. You open yourself to low-power amps. Budget amps are typically quite low in power.
2. You will more easily hear hiss or any other noise leaking out of the map.

There is no point in testing a 10W amp against a low sensitivity loudspeaker.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Another case of myself being the only person who understands my joke. I need to work on this :) I was referring to the speaker cabinet photo you posted which basically shows an opening where the driver/cone goes hence being "open and airy".
I thought that you were joking but figured if I am wrong, I could be dismissive so took it seriously. :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I figure a $500 amp should likely be used with $1 to $2k speakers (perhaps more). Now the little $80 amp would be for something less expensive. Since getting some powered JBL LSR 305s for $280/pr I haven't heard better affordable speakers. No amp required.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Amazingly cheap. But check out this spec:
THD @ Rated Power <0.1% @ 1W per channel, <10% @ 60W per channel

Can't even get 1 watt out with less distortion?

And they say this in bullet points:
  • Audiophile-quality sound with extremely low distortion
And that is not the worst part. The worst part is this Amazon warning!!!

View attachment 10080

But since we don't have any 3-year olds, I went ahead and bought it through Amazon. :)

Amir, may I suggest that as part of your amplifier tests, you test all at a very low level, say 0.1 watt , this will root out any types of crossover distortions, and in particular anything special about the TRIPATH amp that you just bought, and thanks for agreeing to review it, I think it will be more interesting to actually listen to and evaluate than all the rest of the class AB stuff.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir, may I suggest that as part of your amplifier tests, you test all at a very low level, say 0.1 watt , this will root out any types of crossover distortions, and in particular anything special about the TRIPATH amp that you just bought, and thanks for agreeing to review it, I think it will be more interesting to actually listen to and evaluate than all the rest of the class AB stuff.

Interesting idea. In fact sensible listening long term is for in room SPL levels of 75 db or so average. Even an average 86 db rated speaker would be using .1 watt to make sounds at 76 db SPL.

OTOH, modern mastered pop music apparently should be played at 100 db SPL and will never get quieter than 96 db SPL. :(

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Will do!

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I figure a $500 amp should likely be used with $1 to $2k speakers (perhaps more). Now the little $80 amp would be for something less expensive. Since getting some powered JBL LSR 305s for $280/pr I haven't heard better affordable speakers. No amp required.

I've seen, the now discontinued, Yamaha P2500S used on $15,000 speakers.... It's certainly better to use a good $500 amp and $15,000 in speakers than $7500 in amp and $8500 in speakers.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Seriously though, I would recommend higher sensitivity speakers for 2 reasons -

1. You open yourself to low-power amps. Budget amps are typically quite low in power.
2. You will more easily hear hiss or any other noise leaking out of the map.

There is no point in testing a 10W amp against a low sensitivity loudspeaker.
In theory would I agree if you're looking to make the best possible match for sq.
But I think the idea here is not to make it easy on the amp's but more to test the amp's abilities.
In any case (IMO) the meters will be more revealing and accurate on these aspects than any subjective listening offer.

CuteStudio

This class D one looks interesting:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FXAUDIO-FX...ier-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Audio-Power-Amp/253284553008

Especially due to its air cored inductors, something I am a huge believer in after I converted some of mine to some home wound (onto sewing bobbins) air inductors.

Thread here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/315681-tpa-3250-listening-6.html

I would like to suggest a tube amp but they are not very accessible it seems, some of the eBay ones are good but many need some DIY love to get them performing to their potential.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But I think the idea here is not to make it easy on the amp's but more to test the amp's abilities.
This is key. Trying to do subjective testing between these amps will be hard. My use of the speaker is to just turn it up to a comfortable level for a few seconds and see if it gets distorted.

I also wanted speakers that I did not mind blowing up. :) But for now, I will break that rule and test them with a pair of old Sonus Faber bookshelf speakers I have sitting around.

Candlesticks

For headphones:

Audio-gd C2 which is an extremely high power amplifier that's only really suited for the Hifiman HE-6 and other older Hifiman models like the HE-4 and HE-5.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For headphones:

Audio-gd C2 which is an extremely high power amplifier that's only really suited for the Hifiman HE-6 and other older Hifiman models like the HE-4 and HE-5.
Wow, that is one of the best write-ups I have seen from a company Chinese or otherwise, on their design and measurements! Pretty expensive to purchase though for ad-hoc testing at $450 (for headphone amp) but if I will keep an eye on them for other products.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I now have an SMSL AD18 dac/amp. Amir, I would highly recommend measuring this unit.

To give some background, I've been looking for a compact DAC/Pre + Amp setup with a remote control for the den TV which is stereo only. Due to space constraints, it needed to be very compact. However the loudspeakers are 3-way floorstanders - 4 ohm, 90db sensitivity, go down to 35 Hz. I was looking for small form-factor but powerful amps + a separate dac/pre all within a small budget - less than $500 for everything. I was having a very hard time finding anything that, on paper, would be a good choice. I was running the headphone out from my NAD D3020 into an Emotiva A-300 but ended up returning the Emotiva - it was sticking out of the cabinet, forced the cable box to sit in front of the TV and the configuration just didn't feel right. I almost decided on the NAD C368 but figured I would try something cheap first.

Hooked up the AD18 and I am absolutely thrilled at how well its driving the speakers - even better than the Emotiva which is rated at 300W into 4 ohms (note this is subjective and a few days apart, so take it with a massive bucket of salt). I did not expect this at all from a tiny 8oW (into 4 ohm) amp. For around $150 USD, this is such a steal, I almost feel guilty. It is a bit comical that this little unit (with an almost equally large external PSU) is comfortably pushing large speakers to high volumes with such ease.

I am starting to sound a lot like a typical audiophile reviewer, so I will stop here. Its hard to contain my excitement though.

Top Bottom