• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$500 amplifiers to test and review?

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/343891-pascal-pro2.html#post5943438 ... for what it's worth:

"[The Pascal S-PRO2] is a low cost implementation of self oscillating amplification and flyback PFC, notable for being able to shave off so many parts from bill of materials while keeping useable audio output. Input requires a buffer op-amp that is not included in the circuit for cost, size and a few uV more of output noise. There is a series 100uF electrolytic at the input. It is not premium in the field of signal to noise ratio, there is substantial distorted cross-talk at moderate volume. The module itself makes substantial physical noise, particularly close to maximum power. Protections and limiting are rudimentary."

If that is true, then I question those wonderful specs for the unit on the IMG-Stageline site.

hege

Forum Donor
If that is true, then I question those wonderful specs for the unit on the IMG-Stageline site.

Dutch & Dutch must like crappy sound for using the same modules then..

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are we certain the 8C uses S-PRO2 modules? I've definitely seen Pascal but not the exact models.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Why do we worry so much about minor differences from module to module and maker to maker if the differences are often below the threshold of audibility?

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why do we worry so much about minor differences from module to module and maker to maker if the differences are often below the threshold of audibility?

If they are minor, you are absolutely right. I had some LM3886-based Class AB monoblocks some years ago and sold them after getting a pair of ICEpower-based Class D monoblocks. There was no difference in the sound at all. I kept the ICEpower units because didn't get so hot in the rack space.

The supposed shortcomings that the user posted on diyAudio, if true, could compromise the use of that particular module in a home audio system but it could serve well in a disco/pro audio setting.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Don't think "worry" is the right description.
But we have seen some excellent gear and some real garbage. It's an educational journey that we can learn many things from. A lot of gear won't give audible failings "unless" it is paired with particular gear both in front of and behind. It's great to have a handle on the details. ;)

ck42

Forum Donor
Well, I've landed right smack dead in the middle of this thread's quest....I'm also looking for the 'best' sub-$500 amp right now.
Been finding a ton of candidates but w/o seeing a tech review of nearly any of them, I have no idea which one to get.
Not sure if I should stick with something A/B, go with a class-D, build a kit, or buy a used known-good amp. Mix all of this with a strong propensity for analysis-paralysis and I'm dead in the water right now.

@amirm, as it is already, it looks like you're back-logged on reviews. I'm selfishly wanting you to just focus now on the this amp category now :p but at the same time, I'm INCREDIBLY appreciative of all the the DAC/HP-amp reviews you've knocked out, allowing me to make an educated decision...so you won't find me complaining any time soon!

A thought...and I CAN'T be the first one who's suggested this....is can you create a thread that somehow allows members to vote for the next item to be reviewed? Even if it means *my* stuff gets pushed back (I could live with that in the name of fairness to the 'group'), it would mean those products with the greatest interest get pushed to the front of the line. If not, just curious how you DO decide which item to review next.

Last edited:

Panelhead

Forum Donor
One recommendation I have is the Micromega Myamp. I put up the test rig I was using. Spent way too much time testing and not enough listening.
500.00 will buy 2 pair of the MyAmps or an amp and a pair of Focal Chorus 706. From the MyDAC review it appears Micromega My series is capable.
Read a review where someone had a MyAmp and MyDAC. They felt the dac in the MyAmp was better sounding than the MyDAC.

maty

Major Contributor

AnderS52

Yes, but i am not looking for an online review in What HiFi or Stereophile, instead i am looking for a SINAD measurement and THD+N at 5 watts
I also read online NAD t758v3 reviews that was praising its qualities, without mentioning anything measured on this forum.
Edit: I see they are actually measuring Harmonic Dist and THD+n but i wonder about the results...
Edit2: 7x31 watts in multichannel mode, Holy mother :p Well, thats why the pre-outs i guess
Edit 3: Also checked out the next page AVR-2500H, looks like it is struggling with 4 Ohm. Makes you wonder how much profit there is on these.
Edit 4: The inside of 685 looks like a computer. Is there really no shielding or separation of power and signal circuits ?
You should think there could be a lot of noise transfer. Do all these surround amps look the same ?
Edit 5: Now, i dont know what to get. Really not tempted to buy any of these.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
To multimedia (TV, films, series, games) Yamaha RX-V series is a very good option. And it seems they have fewer problems than other brands, at least in recent years. Its YPAO equalization system is more basic and always equalizes the entire frequency band.

They are less problematic with 4 Ohms loudspeakers unlike the latest Marantz / Denon models. And they heat up much less.

Being an economic model, it does not have the transformer just below the audio and video processing electronics unlike Marantz / Denon.

Usually by March the new models come out with which the old ones come down a lot in price, especially in Amazon. But this year...

Last edited:

AnderS52

Thanks for your help, i have enjoyed those links.
I was Just looking for pre out and atmos, i have 2 ASP 1000 monoblocks doing nothing right now, i think will power the main speakers quite well, and that will put less strain on those 7x31 watts (!)
But after reading the 3500H review here, i feel a little dis-illusioned. Maybe i will need to look at other solutions for stereo, perhaps a dedicated DaC/preamp for stereo only. I see there are many options on the market i never realized, just zooming through the forums.

maty

Major Contributor
Everything will depend on the type of music you listen to and its recording quality. If you focus on current commercial music, so badly recorded and with very low dynamic range, then maybe.

Now, if you want to enjoy excellent recordings and with great dynamic range then the matter is complicated and not only with the amplifier.

Hours ago I listened to a very good 24/192 vinyl rip that demands a good audio system and many watts:

Erich Kunzel, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra - Tchaikovsky 1812 (1979), Vinyl, Telarc / First Impression Music 2012, 200g, US
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/6958-playing-listening-post6105850.html

The first track: DR19 0.00 dB -24.45 dB 15:36 01-1812 Overture, Op. 49

AnderS52

That must be with the cannons, the 1812. I dont listen much to that type of music, although i have a Telarc CD with some dude playing Bach on a big organ, and its so silent you can hear wind in the mic on the quiet passages, where Bach prays to God, and then if you leave the volume high, its retarded loud on the crescendo parts.

edit: This one i think:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD C370 It's not new but one of the best intergrated amp's NAD ever build for sure under the 500,- . Best intergrated amp in 2000 an 2001. Curious how it would measur against today's class D amps. Some measurements by Stereophile at the time

https://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-c370-integrated-amplifier-specifications

1kHz toneburstצ cycles on, 400 cycles off—and just one channel driven gave a much different picture (fig.12). Under these conditions, 279W was available into 8 ohms (24.5dBW, black trace), 512W into 4 ohms (24.1dBW, red), 846W into 2 ohms (23.25dBW, blue), and a whopping 1166W into 1 ohm

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A thought...and I CAN'T be the first one who's suggested this....is can you create a thread that somehow allows members to vote for the next item to be reviewed?
I don't think that is practical. There is a ton that goes on behind the scenes that drives the review order which I can't share in public.

Top Bottom