• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$500 amplifiers to test and review?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Here you go!

There's plenty of manufacturers that could use his module build as an example of how to do things.

Care with heatshrinking, excellent cable dressing and braiding, nice layout. :)

The only thing he missed was heatshrinking the indicator LED and the inline dropper resistor.

Timbo2

There's plenty of manufacturers that could use his module build as an example of how to do things.

Care with heatshrinking, excellent cable dressing and braiding, nice layout. :)

The only thing he missed was heatshrinking the indicator LED and the inline dropper resistor.

Agreed. Although I feel like it's a "waste" with one side of the amplifier having a heatsink that is only there to match the other side. The compulsive part of me feels like it needs to be used for something! :) But I agree I'd easily buy that amplifier.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Agreed. Although I feel like it's a "waste" with one side of the amplifier having a heatsink that is only there to match the other side. The compulsive part of me feels like it needs to be used for something! :) But I agree I'd easily buy that amplifier.
The insides look way too wimpy. Bridge the modules and add another pair to the other side. There's no substitute for cubic inches and more horsepower. ;)

Timbo2

S
The insides look way too wimpy. Bridge the modules and add another pair to the other side. There's no substitute for cubic inches and more horsepower. ;)

My guess is the power supply is the weak link when you do that. Same issue that happens with cars, upgrade one part break another part...:p

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
May I request, becaue so many DAC's have been measured already, that now a shift could be made towards some (digital) amplifiers?
Even if it would be only a couple, I think it would be very interesting.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
May I request, becaue so many DAC's have been measured already, that now a shift could be made towards some (digital) amplifiers?
That was my plan until some very high demand DACs hit my desk (Schiit Modi 3, Topping DX3Pro, etc.). Let me see if I can get back on the saddle. :)

Jorj

Forum Donor

I'm with you on this. Amir has done a bang-up job taking a wide swath through the DAC field, and it is greatly appreciated. Personally, I'd love to see some tests of the nCore & Hypex-based designs.

Boy, oh boy won't the Class A and tube-head crowd be grumped-off to hear that there are numerous Class D (and T and whatnot) devices that measure (and therefore sound) as good or better than their stale old tech. I predict some fun!

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm with you on this. Amir has done a bang-up job taking a wide swath through the DAC field, and it is greatly appreciated. Personally, I'd love to see some tests of the nCore & Hypex-based designs.

Boy, oh boy won't the Class A and tube-head crowd be grumped-off to hear that there are numerous Class D (and T and whatnot) devices that measure (and therefore sound) as good or better than their stale old tech. I predict some fun!

+1 and what would make things really spicy is if the sub-$1000 Crown amps you get can off of Amazon measure as well as the revered Hypex amps (I have both plus a beast of a class A amp. I also have some tube amps. Yikes, i need to shed some of these).

Imagine a world where a $200 Topping Dac + a sub-$500 class D amp is all you need and then its just a matter of picking speakers. Amir, a hifi superhero status is yours for the taking :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
+1 and what would make things really spicy is if the sub-$1000 Crown amps you get can off of Amazon measure as well as the revered Hypex amps (I have both plus a beast of a class A amp. I also have some tube amps. Yikes, i need to shed some of these).
Imagine a world where a $200 Topping Dac + a sub-$500 class D amp is all you need and then its just a matter of picking speakers. Amir, a hifi superhero status is yours for the taking

A +1 here also. But to expand a bit into the $1k or somewhat above that in the "integrated" amp market. The Topping+500 amp in many cases limits the customer to a digital only system with computer or CD sources. I think most of us here would agree that Topping + rig is all you need when combined with the proper speakers, but it is quite restricting. Forget about the enormously priced intergrateds that Stereophile, TAS, etc; focus on but the market is heavy with some very interesting options from the big Asain suppilers that may very well be capable of providing a fully transparent front end to a good set of speakers. (or the pre-outs to a pair of actives).
So many options and too little time. ;)

Sythrix

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

They won't care in the least.

Class A followers have no interest in absolute THD levels or power output.
'Tube-heads' also don't care about low THD and most of them are firmly in the low-medium power range so hundreds of watts don't bother them either.

Class D can be all wonderful and nice until you give them 10KHz square wave and then it all goes out the window very quickly.

sonci

They won't care in the least.

Class A followers have no interest in absolute THD levels or power output.
'Tube-heads' also don't care about low THD and most of them are firmly in the low-medium power range so hundreds of watts don't bother them either.

Class D can be all wonderful and nice until you give them 10KHz square wave and then it all goes out the window very quickly.
and the 200$ Topping dac sounds like crap.

derp1n

I wish I had music that wasn't just 10kHz square waves.

derp1n

I know what you mean, but it's just so danceable....it's like dubstep, but better...

I saw this live earlier this year, the extended 2 hour improvised version was insane.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom