• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$500 amplifiers to test and review?

gingerbeer

I have been running 3 of the Yamaha AS-x01's in my triamped system. I have a AS-301 on each of the MF and HF drivers and a 701 on the LF. They really work nice in this arrangement as since I am using a DSP, I can bypass all tone controls.

how are you doing the DSP and multi channel output? This is the question being grappled with on the ASR Streamer thread too

Alobar

Forum Donor
how are you doing the DSP and multi channel output? This is the question being grappled with on the ASR Streamer thread too
I had been using the MiniDSP 4x10HD for DSP and crossover, using its mediocre MC DAC's but this year I switched to this all analog crossover:
SublimeAcoustic K231 3 way active crossover and a Modi 3 upstream of it. I still keep the 4X10HD in there but just for its PEQ ability, with digital in/out. Eventually as funds materialize I want to replace the 4x10 with the MiniDSP SHD Studio.

Capture.PNG

Rubbersoul2

It seems to me that the only bit of electronics which may fail to be audibly transparent these days (apart from incompetent stuff) is a power amplifier into real speakers.
Most solid state amps work fine into an 8ohm power resistor but how well they work into complex speaker loads seems not to be tested, or at least not published.
Stereophile do publish the influence of amplifier output impedance on the frequency response due to a simulated speaker load, which shows a lot of amps will sound different if only simply due to this.
I have always rather fancied seeing how well different amplifiers cope with real speaker loads.
I am not particularly interested by headphone amplifiers myself.
im with you not at all interested with headphone amplifiers .

Top Bottom