• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

500€ for headphone and amp. What is my best option

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi-X60 is closed and a bit sharpish in the treble without EQ.
The Sennheisers are open and do not have sharpness.

Agreed, I use Oratory EQ to Harman target, but I keep the sub bass elevated. OP are you ok with EQ? or do you plan on keeping stock tuning?

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where can the HD 660S be had for approx. €300? The prices that I see are around €400. (Otherweise I would not have wasted my time or yours.) I am perfectly equipped, but others might be interested to know.

It is often available 'refurbished' on the Sennheiser Outlet for around €300 (I paid £272 for my pair from the UK Outlet). Sennheiser offer free delivery, returns and a full 2 year warranty on refurbished headphones. Mine appeared to be brand new, so assume they were unsold shop returns or similar.

The UK Outlet is here: https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/en-UK/outlet/

Germany... https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/de-DE/outlet/

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
Hifiman sundara + c200. Is that good enough?

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hifiman sundara + c200. Is that good enough?

A mighty fine setup imo, I used to own a pair of Sundara and currently have a C200 in my living room.

But..keep in mind stock cables from Hifiman are poor quality (I had to replace mine because they did not work out of the box with my setup) when I had the Sundara.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A mighty fine setup imo.

But..keep in mind stock cables from Hifiman are poor quality (I had to replace mine because they did not work out of the box with my setup) when I had the Sundara.

I agree about the cable, I replaced the one on my HE-4XX with this one for use with my Q5K...

I also have the version for Sennheiser...

I'm pleased with both cables and, in addition to using them with the Q5K, I use them with a 2.5mm to XLR adapter with my Topping EX5.

asrUser

(HD560s don't need much of an amp tbh)
And? Should I use a dongle just becaue I "don't need that much of an amp"?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I have never owned an open back headphone, so really no reference here. I used to like my XM3, but now I feel it is too "booming" and "muddy" sound, not sure because it's old or it's boosted bass.
Its because the thing has way too much bass (and not enough treble). If you are on Android use Wavelet to apply some correction curves (that app has profiles based on hundreds of headphones). It will sound like a completely different headphone.

Top Bottom