• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

500€ for headphone and amp. What is my best option

delta76

Major Contributor
Hi all,

I have never had a proper hifi headphone setup. Most "luxurious" headphone I have is Sony XM3 and it is for features (noise cancelling etc.). Now I wonder what the fuzz is about and if I have missed some important things in my life.

What is the best I can get out of 500€, headphone and dac/amp combined? I prefer to not buy second hand because of limited availability if at all. I am in EU so US models are unfortunately out of reach.

I prefer headphone. IEM like Truthear is only the last option due to comfortability.
Thank you!

asrUser

Fiio K7 and Sennheiser HD 560S

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping DX3Pro+ and Hifiman he5xx from Drop. I'd recommend that to anyone. Really can't make a mistake with that combination, no matter what kind of music you like. Forget privacy though, open back and they leak sound a lot at loud volumes.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have quite a few options in my opinion, as some of the good options have been already pointed out.

For DAC/HPA you can go JDS Labs, Topping, SMSL - all have good products in budget range. You can either go with a DAC/HPA combo, which will save you space and maybe some money now, or seperate DAC and HPA which might give you flexibility if you want to upgrade one of these components (most likely HPA) in the future.

For headphones it would help if you could be a bit more specific. Do you want a closed-back, an open back. Any preference for Planar Magnetic or Dynamic? Anything you tried before and liked maybe?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Topping d10b Sabaj A20h or LG G7 to Topping NX7
Drop Sennheiser or Hifiman

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
You have quite a few options in my opinion, as some of the good options have been already pointed out.

For DAC/HPA you can go JDS Labs, Topping, SMSL - all have good products in budget range. You can either go with a DAC/HPA combo, which will save you space and maybe some money now, or seperate DAC and HPA which might give you flexibility if you want to upgrade one of these components (most likely HPA) in the future.

For headphones it would help if you could be a bit more specific. Do you want a closed-back, an open back. Any preference for Planar Magnetic or Dynamic? Anything you tried before and liked maybe?
I have never owned an open back headphone, so really no reference here. I used to like my XM3, but now I feel it is too "booming" and "muddy" sound, not sure because it's old or it's boosted bass.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never owned an open back headphone, so really no reference here. I used to like my XM3, but now I feel it is too "booming" and "muddy" sound, not sure because it's old or it's boosted bass.
Open backs are more home use only, as the take in and leak out sound. Not just at home use actually, but more like at home, in a quite room, by yourself. If you want to be able to use it outside as well, or in noisy environments where there are other people, closed back is probably a better option for you.

Judging from the way you ask the question I get the impression that you are generally interested in better sound and want to know where to get started. What would help you in the long run is that if you could think about what would be your use cases with the setup you are looking at buying e.g. is it in a quiet room at home or is there any public use expected; is it music only or maybe also some gaming etc.

Why don't you start with a relatively cheap and well measuring headphone that does not need an amp and can be used with a EUR10 dongle, and see how that goes. HD560S is open back or AKG K371 is a closed back and either of them can be bought $150 equivalent in EU and do not require a DAC/AMP.

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
Yes I am looking to buy something for home use. I would still use my xm3 outside for convenience (wireless, noise cancelling). so it does not really matter if it is open or close. I heard that open has better sound stage but worse leakage (both in and out), so not really a concern for me.

Morpheus

Forum Donor
Hi all,

I have never had a proper hifi headphone setup. Most "luxurious" headphone I have is Sony XM3 and it is for features (noise cancelling etc.). Now I wonder what the fuzz is about and if I have missed some important things in my life.

What is the best I can get out of 500€, headphone and dac/amp combined? I prefer to not buy second hand because of limited availability if at all. I am in EU so US models are unfortunately out of reach.

I prefer headphone. IEM like Truthear is only the last option due to comfortability.
Thank you!
Hi, also have the Sony XM3 and love them, although I bought them for my wife's former frequent flights mostly..My two other headphones are a Sennheiser 6xx and a 800S. I listen through my phone ( a S21 Samsung with their usb to jack adapter and Wavelet app for some extra gain engaging the limiter settings whenneeded) laptops out, and an RME Adi DAC fs( for the 800s). For me the 6xx is unbeatable overall, and an amazing value for money, if not the best...It is not for nothing that it is probably the most sold headphone in its versions of the last decades. The 800s does in its things I haven't heard other phones do, but needs the amp and EQ. The 6xx doesn't mandate it, but gets better if you use wavelet and the dongle, or your phone has a nice headphone out like older top of line Samsungs or Lgs. Its the one I use for 90% of my listening, when my daughter doesn't snatch it..excellent for long term listening too, and the most confortable full size phone I ever tried.

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
Hi, also have the Sony XM3 and love them, although I bought them for my wife's former frequent flights mostly..My two other headphones are a Sennheiser 6xx and a 800S. I listen through my phone ( a S21 Samsung with their usb to jack adapter and Wavelet app for some extra gain engaging the limiter settings whenneeded) laptops out, and an RME Adi DAC fs( for the 800s). For me the 6xx is unbeatable overall, and an amazing value for money, if not the best...It is not for nothing that it is probably the most sold headphone in its versions of the last decades. The 800s does in its things I haven't heard other phones do, but needs the amp and EQ. The 6xx doesn't mandate it, but gets better if you use wavelet and the dongle, or your phone has a nice headphone out like older top of line Samsungs or Lgs. Its the one I use for 90% of my listening, when my daughter doesn't snatch it..excellent for long term listening too, and the most confortable full size phone I ever tried.
sadly Drop pulled out from Europe and buying 6xx is significantly more expensive than it should. is it comparable to HD660S? or even exactly the same?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Qudelix 5K and Sennheiser HD 560S (or HD 600/650S/660S when they are available from Sennheiser Outlet in your country).

The Q5K can be used as a desktop and mobile DAC/Amp and will give you a massive amount of control over your headphones. For example, here's the the Parametric EQ (PEQ) settings on mine when viewed from the Chrome browser plugin on my PC...

1678190754578.png

Music707

sadly Drop pulled out from Europe and buying 6xx is significantly more expensive than it should. is it comparable to HD660S? or even exactly the same?

You might still be able to buy from drop.com and have the 6xx shipped to your EU country. I did this last year without the slightest problem. Shipping was $15 at that time, and you will have to pay import VAT and possibly a service fee for customs handling by the courier. Based on the current drop price of $239 you might have to pay a total of around €300.

For your information about the 660S, I recommend reading the review by @solderdude at:

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
You might still be able to buy from drop.com and have the 6xx shipped to your EU country. I did this last year without the slightest problem. Shipping was $15 at that time, and you will have to pay import VAT and possibly a service fee for customs handling by the courier. Based on the current drop price of $239 you might have to pay a total of around €300.

For your information about the 660S, I recommend reading the review by @solderdude at:

it would end up ~ or more expensive than HD 660S, and without any warranty/return. I'd avoid that if I can (unless 6xx is unbeatable value)

Music707

it would end up ~ or more expensive than HD 660S, and without any warranty/return. I'd avoid that if I can (unless 6xx is unbeatable value)

Where can the HD 660S be had for approx. €300? The prices that I see are around €400. (Otherweise I would not have wasted my time or yours.) I am perfectly equipped, but others might be interested to know.

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
Where can the HD 660S be had for approx. €300? The prices that I see are around €400. (Otherweise I would not have wasted my time or yours.) I am perfectly equipped, but others might be interested to know.
my math was off. HD6xx would end up in ~300 eur. but again, no return, no warranty and that does not justify for the 82 EUR difference to me.

for the sake of completeness, anything else I should consider outside of the HD660S/HD6xx ?

Bleib

Major Contributor
SMSL C200 for headphone amp

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD6XX - Warm and pleasant
Sennheiser HD560 - Bright and decently detailed
Austrian Audio Hi-X60/65 - Slightly bright with airy treble, highest detail (Currently on my head)
Hifiman Sundara - Slightly bright with airy treble, good punchy bass
Hifiman Edition XS - Not as bright, big soundstage, very balanced
Hifiman HE4XX - Warm, slightly boxy bass

SMSL C200 is what I would choose for DAC/AMP, honestly I would skimp as much as possible in DAC/AMP and invest more into the headphones, an alternative would be the Hidizs S9 Pro which is a dongle DAC/AMP that will drive any of the headphones above.

Last edited:

Music707

my math was off. HD6xx would end up in ~300 eur. but again, no return, no warranty and that does not justify for the 82 EUR difference to me.

for the sake of completeness, anything else I should consider outside of the HD660S/HD6xx ?

The HD6xx are the only ones in your intended price range that I have first-hand experience with. But I remember that not long ago @solderdude recommended the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 in another thread. Thomann currently sells them for €349.

Good luck with your final decision!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi-X60 is closed and a bit sharpish in the treble without EQ.
The Sennheisers are open and do not have sharpness.

Top Bottom