• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

50+ years of Sinclair Z-30 amplifier and 40+ years of my DIY mods

pma

Major Contributor

It was in 1969 when Sinclair Project 60 kit appeared on the market in UK and it contained Z-30 amplifier modules, advertised as 25W and 50W peak. It also advertised to be “the world's lowest distortion high fidelity amplifier”

z30_advert.jpg

and the news and kit description had soon, only few months later, appeared in our local hi-fi magazine Hudba a Zvuk.

Sinclair60_HaZ.jpg

I was building my first amplifiers (with Singleton input stage and awkward circuit topology) those days and I was excited! The differential input stage, CCS VAS load, it was something completely new in the DIY world. However, for us behind the iron curtain, an unobtainium. We had the only chance, to learn and to design and build the thing ourselves.

Several years passed and after I finished my university studies I was still an enthusiastic DIYer and I have returned to the idea to build Z-30. So I took an original schematics

Z-30_orig.png

made some small mods like modification to +/- DC power supply (to get rid off the output coupling capacitor) and also changed the transistors, as the originals were not available here. This was probably a good idea, as my power transistors were more robust. And this was the result, in 1980

1980_module1.jpg

I have chosen a modular concept, with a motherboard and modules that could have been changed to make different amp configurations. There was an RIAA phono module, linear preamp module, bass/treble equalizer module, two modified Z-30 modules and a power supply. All except for Z-30 were my designs. It took years to realize the project and this was the result in 1987

ZP-1_Z30_open.jpg

ZP-1_Z30.jpg

The amplifier was working well and had served me till 2001, the year when I returned to DIY hi-fi and realized to build something more advanced. The amp shown suffered from 2 major issues
  • the heatsinks were too small and continuous available power was thus reduced (similarly as in nowadays miniature TPA3255 amplifiers)
  • due to absence of Re resistors and poor idle current stabilization the idle current had to be kept very low, in order to prevent thermal runaway and destruction of power transistors. As a result, there was the crossover distortion. The same issues applied to original Sinclair modules.

Sinclair Z-30 rev2014 – my 45th anniversary project

In 2014, I got an idea to wipe dust from the Z-30 project and to make some modifications and make it a reliable amplifier with continuous maximum power capability, thermal stability and optimal bias of the output stage, to get rid off the crossover distortion. And I was curious :). So, this was the modified 2014 circuit

Z30_rev2014.png

This was running pretty well, with power specified at 50W/4ohm, thermal stabilization of idle current and appropriate heatsink. Below please see the THD vs. frequency plot at 26W/6.8 ohm.

z30_2014_inside.jpg

Z30 2014 6R8 thd vs freq.png

Z-30 2019, last mod 50 years after

And this is my last (as for now :) modification from 2019, 50 years after the original Z-30 was issued.

Z-30_new_2019.png

new_module_2019.jpg

Z-30_2019_BTL_inside.JPG

In BTL mode, it gives 100W/4ohm. And this is the THD vs. output amplitude plot

BTL_newZ30_thdamp_4R.png

So this is my story of the Sinclair Z-30 amplifier. Even after 50 years, its basic topology is able to give good results. We have not moved much, since :).

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can’t read the circuit diagrams but I can understand the rest. What a cool journey you’ve had with that amp. Thanks for sharing. And please send me one :cool:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thank you for that.
Very cool...

Reactions: pma

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Love it! My first amplifier was a Sinclair, the Z12, predecessor to the Z30. Spectacularly unreliable! Soon replaced by a pair of Mullard 5-10 valve amps.

Yours looks like the legendary grandad's axe. It's over 100 years old, had three new handles and two new heads...

S

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Thank you for that.
Very cool...
Thank you! The biggest challenge was to find the 1987 BW negatives with the modular case photos (the blow-ups were never made from them). Without those old photos it would be much less interesting :).

Love it! My first amplifier was a Sinclair, the Z12, predecessor to the Z30. Spectacularly unreliable! Soon replaced by a pair of Mullard 5-10 valve amps.
Yours looks like the legendary grandad's axe. It's over 100 years old, had three new handles and two new heads...
S

I am afraid that the original Z30 must have been unreliable too and prone to 2nd breakdown. They/we did not have Douglas Self yet (is he on ASR?) to have the importance and analysis of Re resistors, V(Re) and Vbe multipliers explained yet. So many SS amps had had these issues which made them bad reputation.

I can’t read the circuit diagrams but I can understand the rest. What a cool journey you’ve had with that amp. Thanks for sharing. And please send me one :cool:

I would love to send you one if I had enough of them ;).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The bias circuit for the 2019 version is much better than the 2014 revision. The 2014 revision is asking for a blown up power stage when the potmeter goes bad.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
The 2014 revision is asking for a blown up power stage when the potmeter goes bad.

Correct :). Hopefully never happened with that multiturn 64Y Spectrol. And probably never would, with only 2x25V PSU, fuses, big heatsink and 16A robust transistors. @solderdude , Have you ever blown MJL21193/94? Me never, even if I accidentally swapped NPN/PNP devices and turned the amp (another one) on. 4 pairs, fused blown, transistors OK :). And several times they survived direct output short.

Last edited:

raindance

Major Contributor
I had the Z30 amp - it came installed in a Philips/Sierra radiogram complete with a Garrard turntable and tube tuner. The power amps were very unreliable indeed, so I replaced them with TDA2030 (I think) modules and used the preamp portion for years and in various cases that were more compact than the huge radiogram. The biggest failure point of the preamp was the horrible trimpots used for volume, balance and tone. But I paid the equivalent of about $1 for the whole thing and it lasted until I could afford better.

Reactions: pma
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
The power amps were very unreliable indeed,

This is the usual problem. Though the basic Z-30 circuit topology was highly innovative in 1969, the practical realization had flaws probably resulting from inexperience. And 2 small changes would make it reliable. We learn all our lives, that's my most important career achievement :).

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Z-30 (2019 version), THD and THD+N at 1kHz/5W/4ohm, ASR "standard" measurement (not the BTL version)
Z-30_new_SINAD.png
. Mostly low order harmonics in the distortion spectrum, fast decay of high order harmonics. 19kHz FM pilot at -116dBr caught from somewhere, the test module is not shielded. This amp is perfectly competitive among most of current class AB amps.

... and 19+20kHz IMD at same peak output level

Z-30_new_CCIF.png

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'd missed this thread @pma Only found it when I was doing a quick Clive Sinclair search as he recently died.

I really love the modular case work of your original amp. :)

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
I'd missed this thread @pma Only found it when I was doing a quick Clive Sinclair search as he recently died.

I really love the modular case work of your original amp. :)

Thank you John. The modular case work was inspired by the instrumentation like transient recorders which I worked with those times. However, it was not practical re power dissipation, as you may easily imagine :D. No continuous sine wave testing for longer period of time was possible :).

BTW, back to the modified Z-30 (SE version, not the bridged one), I love the consistency of its nonlinearity. Though it is a bit higher, it is absolutely predictable and predictable from HD to IMD. Almost "static" nonlinearity.

Z30_BW45kHz_60Hz-15kHz.png

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Bridged version, already mentioned in earlier posts. New wiring/grounding scheme. It makes nice, competitive 2 x 100W/4ohm amplifier, even these days.

Z30_bridged_thdn_4ohm.png

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Continuing with measurements of THD into challenging load at high measuring BW, below is the THD vs. power measurement of my modified Z-30 in a bridged version, load is 2.5 ohm, at frequencies 1kHz - 15kHz.

Z30bridged_2R5_@90kHz_1k-15k.png

nn_in

It was in 1969 when Sinclair Project 60 kit appeared on the market in UK and it contained Z-30 amplifier modules, advertised as 25W and 50W peak. It also advertised to be “the world's lowest distortion high fidelity amplifier”

View attachment 111216

and the news and kit description had soon, only few months later, appeared in our local hi-fi magazine Hudba a Zvuk.

View attachment 111217

I was building my first amplifiers (with Singleton input stage and awkward circuit topology) those days and I was excited! The differential input stage, CCS VAS load, it was something completely new in the DIY world. However, for us behind the iron curtain, an unobtainium. We had the only chance, to learn and to design and build the thing ourselves.

Several years passed and after I finished my university studies I was still an enthusiastic DIYer and I have returned to the idea to build Z-30. So I took an original schematics

View attachment 111218
made some small mods like modification to +/- DC power supply (to get rid off the output coupling capacitor) and also changed the transistors, as the originals were not available here. This was probably a good idea, as my power transistors were more robust. And this was the result, in 1980

View attachment 111219

I have chosen a modular concept, with a motherboard and modules that could have been changed to make different amp configurations. There was an RIAA phono module, linear preamp module, bass/treble equalizer module, two modified Z-30 modules and a power supply. All except for Z-30 were my designs. It took years to realize the project and this was the result in 1987

View attachment 111220

View attachment 111221

The amplifier was working well and had served me till 2001, the year when I returned to DIY hi-fi and realized to build something more advanced. The amp shown suffered from 2 major issues
  • the heatsinks were too small and continuous available power was thus reduced (similarly as in nowadays miniature TPA3255 amplifiers)
  • due to absence of Re resistors and poor idle current stabilization the idle current had to be kept very low, in order to prevent thermal runaway and destruction of power transistors. As a result, there was the crossover distortion. The same issues applied to original Sinclair modules.

Sinclair Z-30 rev2014 – my 45th anniversary project

In 2014, I got an idea to wipe dust from the Z-30 project and to make some modifications and make it a reliable amplifier with continuous maximum power capability, thermal stability and optimal bias of the output stage, to get rid off the crossover distortion. And I was curious :). So, this was the modified 2014 circuit

View attachment 111222

This was running pretty well, with power specified at 50W/4ohm, thermal stabilization of idle current and appropriate heatsink. Below please see the THD vs. frequency plot at 26W/6.8 ohm.

View attachment 111223

View attachment 111224

Z-30 2019, last mod 50 years after

And this is my last (as for now :) modification from 2019, 50 years after the original Z-30 was issued.

View attachment 111225

View attachment 111226

View attachment 111227

In BTL mode, it gives 100W/4ohm. And this is the THD vs. output amplitude plot

View attachment 111228

So this is my story of the Sinclair Z-30 amplifier. Even after 50 years, its basic topology is able to give good results. We have not moved much, since :).
Thank You for taking the efforts and sharing your insights ! Truly a remakable journey of DIY .

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Update to measurements on a basic single-ended version

Z-30_2023.JPG

DUT test setup

Z-30_thdn_level_BW45kHz.png

Z-30_thdn_frequency_BW45kHz.png

These are nice results taking into account they are taken from the design that originated in 1969, 54 years ago.

Output impedance is 0.02ohm/10kHz and is fairly linear, see below.

outimp_10kHz.jpg

X-Y_10kHz_plot.JPG

Top Bottom