• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

5.2.4 atmos with back surrounds only?

Abe_W

Hello,
Can a 5.2.4 be completed with no side surrounds and back surrounds only, as shown in image below? My "surrounds" would be at approx 145 degrees. Surround speakers can't extend past the length of the couch and have to be behind it. What are the possible cons of this deviation from Dolby's bedlayer speaker placement guide? Thanks in advance.

7_1_spkrplc.jpg

MLaranjeiras

I think that if you spread the surround back speakers to the corners direction and define them as surround speakers on the receiver, you will rave a great experience.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@igfarm , @MLaranjeiras , thanks guys, so it appears that the placement angles described by Dolby are not that rigid, or in practice anyways?
They are rigid if you want to be certified. However, for home they are just guides. Nearer you set your system the better the experience.

MLaranjeiras

@igfarm , @MLaranjeiras , thanks guys, so it appears that the placement angles described by Dolby are not that rigid, or in practice anyways?
Sure. They are not. I have on a provisoy apartment small (around 11m²) room an 11.1, set of speakers that is oversized for the space, because the speakers was choosen for a larger room of a house that we own and that, for some reasons, we are on a "move don´t move" moment. To be honest, a 5.1 set does a good job, but I always desired a 11.1 experience. In the Heart of the Sea bluray is Atmos and is a great experience to watch it on the right volume. However, what a realized was that most of cable TV channels only deliver anacronic 5.1 Dolby Digital +, what makes a 11.1 a waste of money here in Brazil. DTS Neural: X and Dolby Surround are artifacts that put stereo and DD+ sources on eleven channels, but there is no comparison with a "root" Atmos Bluray disc. So, a 5.1.4 will be really cool for you for sure.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just put the backs at 135 degrees, call them LS, RS and you are perfect. If you have a smaller room, more speakers probably don't make any sense. Right now I have a 5.2 system. If I could find a way of either getting Atmos out of my PC, or getting my A16 Realizer to do all the functions of an AV processsor (PEQ, Bass Mgt, and Dirac Live), I would invest in four used Kef home theater speakers (the kidney shaped ones), a coupla of Aiyima A07's, some poles to couple to my existing speaker stands, and have my very own small Atmos speaker based system for really cheap.

OP
A

Abe_W

@MLaranjeiras , @phoenixdogfan , Backstory: I had a 7.2.4, but, am having to finish the basement and relocate there so other family members are not disturbed by spl levels. The basement room is small and skinnier, which severely restricts side surround placement. Based on the comments and consensus here, It looks like i can make it work downscaling to 5.2.4 without any significant compromise. Thanks again guys.

MLaranjeiras

@MLaranjeiras , @phoenixdogfan , Backstory: I had a 7.2.4, but, am having to finish the basement and relocate there so other family members are not disturbed by spl levels. The basement room is small and skinnier, which severely restricts side surround placement. Based on the comments and consensus here, It looks like i can make it work downscaling to 5.2.4 without any significant compromise. Thanks again guys.
If you have an 11.1 set, you can, also, make a 5.1. 6 arrangement, giving more imersion to the seats out of the sweet spot.

MLaranjeiras

If you have an 11.1 set, you can, also, make a 5.1. 6 arrangement, giving more imersion to the seats out of the sweet spot.
One pair of ceiling speakers a little behind the main seat, other a little after and another after the center of the room, heading to the screen.

Top Bottom