• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

5.1. Surround: extending analog audio signal to rear speakers via LAN

tar

Aloha,

how would you transfer the rear speaker signal(s) (source is an NVidia Shield Pro 2019) to rear speakers via LAN (or WLAN)?

I would not like to lay cables across the living room but I have network sockets near the TV and near the position of the rears (and WLAN, of course).

Passive speakers (Shield -> HDMI -> AVR -> Speaker-Outs -> Speakers):
I found the Digitus DC-56100 CAT5 Audio Extender but I guess RCA/Cinch is not sufficient for high quality speakers (like Nubert) and corresponding thicker copper cables. Would I herefore need a separate amplifier?

Active speakers (Shield -> HDMI -> AVR -> RCA Pre-Outs -> Speakers):
If I would use an AVR I would need to use its multichannel pre outs of (therefore the AVR would become quite expensive) but I guess, I could then use RCA/Cinch directly from the pre out through the Digitus to the active speaker (e.g. NuPro).

Active speakers (Shield -> USB -> MultiChannel-DAC -> XLR -> Speakers):
Would an XLR connection bring any benefits and is the LAN transmission also possible with those?

Thanks in advance!

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Aloha,

how would you transfer the rear speaker signal(s) (source is an NVidia Shield Pro 2019) to rear speakers via LAN (or WLAN)?

I would not like to lay cables across the living room but I have network sockets near the TV and near the position of the rears (and WLAN, of course).

Passive speakers (Shield -> HDMI -> AVR -> Speaker-Outs -> Speakers):
I found the Digitus DC-56100 CAT5 Audio Extender but I guess RCA/Cinch is not sufficient for high quality speakers (like Nubert) and corresponding thicker copper cables. Would I herefore need a separate amplifier?

Active speakers (Shield -> HDMI -> AVR -> RCA Pre-Outs -> Speakers):
If I would use an AVR I would need to use its multichannel pre outs of (therefore the AVR would become quite expensive) but I guess, I could then use RCA/Cinch directly from the pre out through the Digitus to the active speaker (e.g. NuPro).

Active speakers (Shield -> USB -> MultiChannel-DAC -> XLR -> Speakers):
Would an XLR connection bring any benefits and is the LAN transmission also possible with those?

Thanks in advance!
AVR - preout (or a HDMI to analog thingy) - Roon radio input stream hack- Roon - RAAT-LAN - Raspi4 (with AmpHat or otherwise)

Top Bottom