• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

5.1 ceiling to Atmos migration tips.

sonder

I have an ageing setup in my projector room, hd epson projector, 5x decent cambridge audio speakers wired in to the ceiling, older yamaha av.

I also have a new sony bravia a95k with atmos in there too currently. The upgrade path I'd like to take, if possible, is to get an atmos setup working via the tv + ceiling speakers + whatever else I need (5 in the top, decent sub, already). Then replace the projector, and have a95k -> av -> atmos, and (other input) -> av -> (projector + atmos).

The trickier bit, is inability to add new through-the-wall wiring, and the current wiring goes to an av cupboard at the back of the house, this can be handled under separate cover however. I'm primarily looking at how to setup a ... 5.1.4? atmos setup .. or if I'd be better only using 2x of the ceiling speakers.. if I can even use all 5? Seem to be drawing blanks in my research here, and particularly interested to hear from other's who've done this migration.

Secondary, is it even worth it? Or should I just nix the idea and go for a new AV with DTS, and maybe turn it in to a 7.1 with with a couple of extra standmound or floorstanding speakers?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sony AZ generation receivers is your answer (once bugs worked out)

Run the ceiling as center 2, the other 4 as Atmos 4 and then can add real speakers as your bed layer as you have budget.

Theoretically can also use your TV to enhance the center picture.

Before you do that, you can use the ceiling speaker processing which tries to apply a HRTF to make your ceiling speakers sound less like ceiling speakers.

OP
S

sonder

Sony AZ generation receivers is your answer (once bugs worked out)

Run the ceiling as center 2, the other 4 as Atmos 4 and then can add real speakers as your bed layer as you have budget.

Theoretically can also use your TV to enhance the center picture.

Before you do that, you can use the ceiling speaker processing which tries to apply a HRTF to make your ceiling speakers sound less like ceiling speakers.

That was a much simpler answer than I'd expected. Thank you!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That was a much simpler answer than I'd expected. Thank you!
It’s sort of pure luck since the AZ receivers happen to solve the problems that you have and the AZ receivers happen to have the 360 sound processing for readjusting speaker position virtually so your ceiling placement is more forgiving.

If you look at the other thread, there is one person who had a unit that was broken. There seems to be a bit of noise. Sony tech support hasn’t even gotten units.

I would wait until Crutchfield/Best Buy, etc. have it in stock and then you can buy with a return policy.

Top Bottom