• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

4v XLR to active monitors, 2v unbalanced to subwoofer

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
hey folks,

I am currently evaluating a demo system that consists of 2x genelec 8030cs connected via XLR to SMSL m400 from the balanced outputs and then an SVS 3000 micro subwoofer connected via stereo RCA from the m400 unbalanced outputs.

the problem i was consistently having before a lot of mucking with REW and the SVS DSP (which is pretty awesome) was that the subwoofer output was significantly lower than the mains output by around 20db at max volume. i initially chalked this up to my own error, but now i think it's because the sub amp output

re: EQ, i want to avoid high boost low end EQ at the system level because i'm not running the 8030s on a high pass filter

so I've made significant corrections (very high PEQ on the sub) to get more linearity out of the system (although it's very far from linear, my room is a mess)

note that my REW mic is a blue yeti and could be really nonlinear, but the results are very repeatable from 20-1000hz and i'm inclined to believe them.

is there any better way to do this?

i'm demoing a genelec 7050 this week as well which applies an 85hz high pass filter to the mains via a complete balanced pass-through.

Top Bottom