• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

4K player purchase question

MacCali

Major Contributor
Good day ladies and gentleman, so I have currently saved up enough money to buy a 4k player. I have never owned one, so this is why I need some help and clearly I am trying to go for a flagship option. The two players I got in mind are the panasonic ub9000 and reavon XBR-200.

So first off I would like to say I am going to be using this unit as a cd player as well, I do not have a cd player and this is why I am going with the 9000 or 200

Honestly got no clue what reavon is saying, they sound like idiots to me or it's a language barrier; do not believe they are an american company I maybe wrong.

They are telling me first that the XLR output is 8Vpp volts.. no clue why, then they reached out by saying it's +4dBv 1.2 volts out on XLR which also absolutely makes no sense.

They referred me to here: https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...reavon-ubr-x200-universal-disc-player-review/

Honestly I only wanted to purchase the panasonic for the HDR10+ capability, but I see that there's like only 50 movies that have HDR10+ compatibility. I was assuming that all content played would be HDR10+ to my TV. But I believe it's exactly like Dolby Vision and the disc itself must support that for the TV to get the benefit, correct me if I am wrong.

Based on this it would knock out the 820 from choice, since again I will be using the unit as a cd player and the 10+ is virtually useless, right?

If that is the case and it must be HDR10+ BD than any HDR10 player will do basically putting the reavon back into play. Because in that whole list I would only really want to purchase 3-4 of those movies available with the 10+

Lastly, I do not really understand the measurements of this unit, please excuse my ignorance as I am still fairly new to audio. I believed that THD + N was SNR, I dont get why it says THD + N -94dB and SNR is -113

Would really appreciate the help and advice on what to buy as these are pretty high priced items and I really dont want to waste my money

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, please feel free to move it wherever it should be.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
They are telling me first that the XLR output is 8Vpp volts.
That's 2.8V RMS. Either way, most amplifiers have enough gain so that line level is not that critical. And most consumer audio is not calibrated anyway.

this is why I am going with the 9000 or 200
Most Blu-Ray players can play CDs & DVDs (and some non-standard A/V forats) but analog outputs are getting rare, if that's what you're after.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If playing import B-D and DVDs is of interest, also consider buying a player which has Rattlebyte's mod kit installed. 4K UHD disks are already region-free, so no worries there.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Good luck, I have a fancy Sony and it has its glitches, had a Panasonic and it couldn't play a PAL DVD even though my Playstation can, I guess they all have their own quirks.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I skipped the Panasonic because it would not play SACDs. I only have a few, but I like them. I went with a Sony UBPX700 as a backup to my Oppo.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good day ladies and gentleman, so I have currently saved up enough money to buy a 4k player. I have never owned one, so this is why I need some help and clearly I am trying to go for a flagship option. The two players I got in mind are the panasonic ub9000 and reavon XBR-200.

So first off I would like to say I am going to be using this unit as a cd player as well, I do not have a cd player and this is why I am going with the 9000 or 200

Honestly got no clue what reavon is saying, they sound like idiots to me or it's a language barrier; do not believe they are an american company I maybe wrong.

They are telling me first that the XLR output is 8Vpp volts.. no clue why, then they reached out by saying it's +4dBv 1.2 volts out on XLR which also absolutely makes no sense.

They referred me to here: https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...reavon-ubr-x200-universal-disc-player-review/

Honestly I only wanted to purchase the panasonic for the HDR10+ capability, but I see that there's like only 50 movies that have HDR10+ compatibility. I was assuming that all content played would be HDR10+ to my TV. But I believe it's exactly like Dolby Vision and the disc itself must support that for the TV to get the benefit, correct me if I am wrong.

Based on this it would knock out the 820 from choice, since again I will be using the unit as a cd player and the 10+ is virtually useless, right?

If that is the case and it must be HDR10+ BD than any HDR10 player will do basically putting the reavon back into play. Because in that whole list I would only really want to purchase 3-4 of those movies available with the 10+

Lastly, I do not really understand the measurements of this unit, please excuse my ignorance as I am still fairly new to audio. I believed that THD + N was SNR, I dont get why it says THD + N -94dB and SNR is -113

Would really appreciate the help and advice on what to buy as these are pretty high priced items and I really dont want to waste my money

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, please feel free to move it wherever it should be.
IMO the Panny is an failed design - making a “universal” player that doesn’t play multichannel audio disk formats required a very stupid set of design decisions.

I don’t know the other one but if it plays SACD and DVD-A it’s fine. Unless there’s something cheaper now I see little reason to pay more than a Sony 800 (or the ES version if, like me, you want to rack mount it, even though the rack kit is a little inelegant) for a disk spinner. Save “flagship” for speakers and room correction.

OP
MacCali

MacCali

Major Contributor
IMO the Panny is an failed design - making a “universal” player that doesn’t play multichannel audio disk formats required a very stupid set of design decisions.

I don’t know the other one but if it plays SACD and DVD-A it’s fine. Unless there’s something cheaper now I see little reason to pay more than a Sony 800 (or the ES version if, like me, you want to rack mount it, even though the rack kit is a little inelegant) for a disk spinner. Save “flagship” for speakers and room correction.
I only got an old collection of CD’s and honestly no sacd. Instead of paying 600 or whatever for a CD player it can just get incorporated into the bd player. Greatly reducing the price.

The reavon is supposed to be an oppo clone type situation or close too. Just really hoping that those measurements are accurate

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sony UBPX800 for my two cents worth. SACD capable and very pleased with the video and audio it puts out. Only niggle is it has trouble remembering where you were up to if playback is disturbed....

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So besides the types of media it can play, the question is what the rest of your system is? Are you going to use the analog outputs at all? Because:
This thing has totally horrible analog outputs. It barely has a 72 SINAD.
SNR != THD+N

SNR is signal to noise ratio, so the difference between noise floor and maximum output.

THD+N is the sum off distortion and noise. The species -94 dB is probably just what the chip can do. The measurements however show that the actual implementation is about 20 dB worse.

But none of this matters if your hooking the thing up to an AVR with an HDMI cable. Your AVR will probably do better than that.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... especially if your AVR uses room EQ, because in this case you don't add an additional DA/AD process into the chain.

PS: I second the Sony, I'm satisfied with my UBP X800mk2. If it's too expensive go for the 700.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume you saw this ?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I only got an old collection of CD’s and honestly no sacd. Instead of paying 600 or whatever for a CD player it can just get incorporated into the bd player. Greatly reducing the price.

The thought of paying $600 for any disk spinner makes me a little queasy. I thought $500 for the old Oppo BDP-83 was excessive, though it was at the time the only SACD/DVD-A player that also spun Blu-Ray disks.

Why the urge to overspend for such a basic thing?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I personally cannot understand why anyone buys a physical media player. Unless nostalgia or audiopholery makes BR to have a later (but minuscule) comeback, disk is a dead format.
1. Poor network connection to my media room with no simple solution;
2. Relatively slow, somewhat unreliable internet connection in my rural'ish area so streaming is out;
3. NAS died a year or two ago and haven't been willing to fund a new one;
4. Don't have HW/SW and time to rip video discs;
5. Large collection of movies (~1000) and CDs/SACDs (unk, few thousand) so important to support legacy products.

Those are my main reasons, foolish or not - Don

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I personally cannot understand why anyone buys a physical media player.

Because one has disks. Unfortunately nobody’s streaming the surround recordings that were pressed onto DVD-A and SACD. That’s too bad, it would be nice to be able to stream the 3.0 channel Mercury Living Presence orchestral recordings, the 5.1 remixed classic rock chestnuts (DSOTM and Wish You Were Here, Brothers in Arms, Tommy and Quadrophenia) and the few newer recordings released in surround (e.g. Beck’s Sea Change).

If one doesn’t already have disks I agree it’s a pointless thing to buy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom