• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

4K BD-Player to replace PS5 and CD-Player

lennyanders

So currently I'm thinking of replacing my PS5 and my CD-Player (Marantz CD5005) with an 4K BD-Player.

The reason is that I don't really play anything on my PS5 anymore (nether really did much) and that the disk drive is pretty loud playing movies. So it's currently only a loud BD-Player and Crunchyroll watching machine (I would get a firetv stick or Chromecast for Crunchyroll then, don't know what yet). While I'm thinking of replacing my PS5 with an BD-Player, I thought I could maybe get rid of my CD-Player too, just to have a more minimalistic setup.

Currently, my PS5 goes via HDMI into my TV and then my TV goes via eARC into my BlueSound node, my CD-Player goes via Toslink into the BlueSound node.

The thing is that I have relatively complex requirements for the BD-Player if it should also act as a CD-Player.

So here is basically what I want:
- Maximum price of €600
- HDR10+ and Dolby Vision support (one thing the PS5 doesn't support, and I would like to have)
- "Quiet" CD and BD playback
- No visible USB-A port on the front (they're so ugly)
- Toslink output for CD playing without turning the TV on
- Display to show current track and progress only for CD playback, I would like it to be turned off when playing movies
- I don't want to have to change any settings when only playing CDs or playing BD's, like changing the sound output mode or something, it should "just work"

I guess the part with the display is the hardest, and I couldn't find much searching online and reading manuals and stuff, so I hope here are maybe some people that have tested the same stuff on their devices.

I think the Panasonic DP-UB824 might be the device that can do it all, but, like I said, I couldn't find much information regarding the "special" display configuration I want. It also has many ports I don't need, like analogue audio out and the second audio only HDMI out.

If there isn't a device that can do it all, I will probably just replace the PS5 with a cheaper BD-Player without a display. If there are any other solutions to my problem, of which I didn't think, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My two cents, keep the Marantz CD5005 and replace the PS5 with a 4K Blu-ray player.

OP
lennyanders

lennyanders

My two cents, keep the Marantz CD5005 and replace the PS5 with a 4K Blu-ray player.
I just sold the PS5 and ordered the Panasonic DP-UB824. I can test the CD Playback then, but yeah, I'll probably keep my CD-Player. I'm really excited about the device, I guess I'm going to watch LotR first.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just sold the PS5 and ordered the Panasonic DP-UB824. I can test the CD Playback then, but yeah, I'll probably keep my CD-Player. I'm really excited about the device, I guess I'm going to watch LotR first.
LotR extended edition, right :)

OP
lennyanders

lennyanders

LotR extended edition, right :)
I think so. I have only watched the extended editions until now though, so at some point I want to watch the theatrical version, but yeah, I love them so much, and it's just how I know them. I also watched them only on DVD until now, so the 4K BD's will be a big upgrade visually.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m pretty sure the only current relevant disk players are the Sony 800 and 1100.

I don’t know of any others that play all the disks.

OP
lennyanders

lennyanders

I’m pretty sure the only current relevant disk players are the Sony 800 and 1100.

I don’t know of any others that play all the disks.
Because of the SACD and Audio-DVD support, or something different? I don't need that, and I read that the Sony BD-Players sometimes crash or have the disk stuck or something (more often than other players supposedly, but yeah, maybe not) and that they don't switch automatically between Dolby Vision and HDR 10+.

OP
lennyanders

lennyanders

Okay, I had the player (Panasonic DP-UB824) for 3 days now, and I am mostly satisfied. I watched the LotR extended edition movies in 4K Dolby Vision within 2 days, and it was great and looked fantastic. The only thing that bothers me a bit is the noisiness of the player, definitely quieter than the PS5, but still audible. With normal BD's it's almost no problem, but with 4K disks it's worse. I guess it has to do with my small room and my small sitting distance from it, and so I live with it, maybe it gets better when I move places.

I also tested it as a CD-Player, and it worked great. I could even configure the display so that it only shows the track number/progress for CD's, but not for movies. While it worked great, I compared it to my Marantz with the speakers turned off, and the Marantz is almost inaudible (I have to get like 10 cm close to hear it) the Panasonic is way louder (still very quiet compared to normal BD) and I might hear it when listening to classical music and stuff (I don't, but what if, am I right?) and so I will continue using the Marantz.

sunao

I have a Sony 800m2, with an almost retired Denon DVD-3910. I obtained Sony a year ago, since I hear noises and vibrations from DVD-3910. So I have switched to Sony for a same reasons as you @leadbelly . When I heard noises and vibrations from DVD-3910, first try to clean a pickup lens, then inserted a non-slip sheet/liner under DVD-3901, and kept them even. It sometimes works for a specific disc. You can try ;-)

Top Bottom