• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

+4dbu or -10dbV

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I plan on switching the TA-N110 with a TA-N55ES in the near future. Would you still recommend adding the resistors to the horns?
SNR for this one is spec'd at 120 dB(A) for 110 Wpc output... if accurate, output attenuation would not be absolutely required.

You'd need lots of input attenuation though, as this model scales up not only output power but also gain... about 44 dB if specs are to be believed. Anyone care to explain why Sony used to build power amplifiers with gain as high as that? Values of 26 to 30 dB (maybe 33-34 for a higher-power unit) would be far more typical normally.

The specs don't really check out... residual noise is given as <90 µV, A-wtd, that would be 110 dB(A) rather than 120. More in line with what I'd have expected given the power output and gain, too. Ultimately, that means noise would not be a great deal lower than in the TA-N110, just 1-2 dB - the rest of the extra dynamic range is on top. So resistor time again it is, and it could be a higher value, too (distortion in this guy remains very low up to high amplitudes).
Also, is unity gain for the Denon around the 11 o'clock?
Depends on the pot. Not lower than 12 o'clock, maybe around 1 o'clock, possibly as much as 2 o'clock. From what I remember, attenuation for real-life pots at the 12 o'clock mark could be anywhere from 16 over 22 to almost 26 dB.

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zaki Ghul

SNR for this one is spec'd at 120 dB(A) for 110 Wpc output... if accurate, output attenuation would not be absolutely required.

You'd need lots of input attenuation though, as this model scales up not only output power but also gain... about 44 dB if specs are to be believed. Anyone care to explain why Sony used to build power amplifiers with gain as high as that? Values of 26 to 30 dB (maybe 33-34 for a higher-power unit) would be far more typical normally.

The specs don't really check out... residual noise is given as <90 µV, A-wtd, that would be 110 dB(A) rather than 120. More in line with what I'd have expected given the power output and gain, too. Ultimately, that means noise would not be a great deal lower than in the TA-N110, just 1-2 dB - the rest of the extra dynamic range is on top. So resistor time again it is, and it could be a higher value, too (distortion in this guy remains very low up to high amplitudes).

Depends on the pot. Not lower than 12 o'clock, maybe around 1 o'clock, possibly as much as 2 o'clock. From what I remember, attenuation for real-life pots at the 12 o'clock mark could be anywhere from 16 over 22 to almost 26 dB.
Hi again,
So I got the TA-N55es things are working much better now. Have not had the time to do the suggested mods. While I figure that out I was curious if you would have an explanation for the #3 and whether it's harmful to my system:
1. RCA wire from pre out to dbx xlr in (with adapters), dbx set to -10dbv, switching inputs on preamp is quiet.
2. Xlr from pre to dbx, dbx set to +4dbu, switching inputs is quiet.
3. Xlr from pre to dbx, dbx set to -10dbv (which works better when using xlr as far as the speakers and especially the horns staying awake at low volume), switching inputs on pre makes a loud pop even if pre is on mute.
Appreciate it

Top Bottom