• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$499 Shanling JET1 4.5" desktop speaker (2021) looks stylish

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I remember reading here about an older pair of Shanling speakers, the S2's. The people that actually ordered them were very satisfied, it seemed. I always had my eye on Shanling products after having some decent experiences with their line of DAPs.

Anyway, they just announced a new pair of bookshelf speakers, designed for use in combination with their EA5 integrated headphone/speaker/streamer amp. I thought it would be interesting for the people here that end up picking them up to post their impressions in this thread. :)

c41e5d24f09ec7691aed0793bd266b65415.jpg

fc68e58a66a54350dfff149a2757f08a125.jpg

Specifications:

- 4.5-inch woofer and AMT Tweeter

- Aluminium front panel and MDF cabinet

- Rear ported

- Frequency response (+/-3 dB): 65 Hz – 25 kHz

- Frequency response (+/-10 dB): 48 Hz – 28 kHz

- Sensitivity: 84 dB

- Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohm

- Recommended power: 25 – 50 W

- 24.1 x 20.3 x 15.6 cm / 3.75kg each

- Removable grill included

Shanling's marketing blurb:

"When we started working on the Shanling EA5 and its integrated amplifier, we though it would be nice idea to have matching speakers to go alongside it. Something smaller, reasonably demanding to drive and fitting into the concept of a small Hi-Fi rig for use on desktops or in smaller rooms. After a year of prototypes and testing with the EA5, we ended up with the JET1.

At Shanling, we actually have a bit of history with speakers. Some of you might have heard about our old S2 bookshelf speakers, but we also released some high-end Hi-Fi speakers with our sub-brands. And we took advantage of this knowledge when putting together the JET1.

JET1 is a two-way rear ported design, using 4.5-inch woofer and AMT (Air Motion Transformer) tweeter. We tuned it for a neutral and lively sound, with a focus on a smooth midrange and a clean treble. Matching perfectly with the Shanling EA5 Music Centre and our house sound.
"

JET1 will be released at international markets in November/December, at 499 USD / Euro MSRP.

More info:
https://en.shanling.com/article-jet1intro.html

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From the design they remind me of Burmester and Piega but for the fracture of the money. :D

EAXAE

I wonder whether they managed to design a grille so thin, or is the render just embellished.

OP
Vict0r

Vict0r

I wonder whether they managed to design a grille so thin, or is the render just embellished.
That's probably just wishful thinking on the 3D designer's part. :p

OP
Vict0r

Vict0r

4.5" "woofer". There aint no 'woof' in that.
Well, it's a small desktop speaker. You could always add a sub.

My iLoud MTM's have 3.5" "woofers" but still play down to 40hz. without a sub. Good enough for most office desks! :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My iLoud MTM's have 3.5" "woofers" but still play down to 40hz. without a sub.

40Hz, 3.5" without a sub. Yeah, OK. My headphones will do that too. 3.5" is not, nor ever will be, a woofer.

I'm talking speakers. Actual SPL. You know, the type of level that will fill a room- with people in it. Did you ever see a band, club, disco or club running 3.5" woofers and a silly sub? Nope. :)

OP
Vict0r

Vict0r

40Hz, 3.5" without a sub. Yeah, OK. My headphones will do that too. 3.5" is not, nor ever will be, a woofer.

I'm talking speakers. Actual SPL. You know, the type of level that will fill a room- with people in it. Did you ever see a band, club, disco or club running 3.5" woofers and a silly sub? Nope. :)
Ofcourse not. No one in their right mind would expect that from tiny, near-field, low volume desktop speakers. You know, like the ones this thread is about? You're comparing tangerines to elephants. :p

Hey, but you do you! Have fun with those 18" woofers on your desk for true woof-woof SPL. Better make sure it's a sturdy one. ;)

dfuller

Major Contributor
Well, it's a small desktop speaker. You could always add a sub.

My iLoud MTM's have 3.5" "woofers" but still play down to 40hz. without a sub. Good enough for most office desks! :)
I mean... they do, but they're seriously SPL limited. 86dB/1m is still not looking very good.

OP
Vict0r

Vict0r

dfuller

Major Contributor
Let's not go over the whole iLoud SPL thing again in a thread dedicated to a completely different speaker from a completely different brand. ;)
Fair enough. These, I think, might actually have a bit more capability - larger box and larger woofer. Do I think they're going to go much below 60, 70hz? Nah. Will they probably sound decent doing so? Yep.

Weeb Labs

I sense a directivity mismatch in the force.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Ofcourse not. No one in their right mind would expect that from tiny, near-field, low volume desktop speakers. You know, like the ones this thread is about? You're comparing tangerines to elephants. :p stylish dp
Hi, there is a place for speakers like this. First they are used in the kitchen. Then, after getting the significant other used to it, desire rises to have some in the living room also. But: full size please.
If one thinks of functionality as a loud(sic!)speaker I don't get the miracle. Bass reflex with an f-3 at 65Hz (if at all 'real')? This will make the, shall I say woofer 'woof' a lot due to over-excursion against the mechanical short circut below the tuning. And if tuning was accidentially low, the port will not the least undergo chuffing, but it will snort. With such compromises, as you will, I don't expect any second thought made regarding midrange/treble.

$499: That's for the AMT, the 'Jet' in the name I suppose. Btw., an AMT doesn't work as a 'jet', a common misconception brought to life via a false analogy and fed by marketing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom