• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

432 EVO -$3500 streamer with aftermarket PS and it broke.

I have both UpTone JS2 and SBooster. Do not discount the SBooster simply 'cos it has a plasitc case. It is still a great, low noise PSU.

You can diconnect the cable that goes from the MoBo front panel header to the front panel power ON/OFF switch and try to shorten it with a screw driver or similar piece of metal (only a brief second will do). That will power up the motherboard, if the culprit is a broken front panel ON/OFF switch.

if Bob Stuart came here do you reckon he'd be all that forthcoming about MQA???

Time is a flat circle. We always see the same argument from certain manufacturers.

It seems like they offered after warranty support for the OP but OP did not take them up... which is fair.. you dont have to. And by the same token the manufacturer has no right to ask the OP to do certain things especially on an out of warranty device.

As people have done, you have seen a disgruntled Mercedes buyer set fire to his car.

But the manufacturer is wasting his time here anyway on any level.
Dave the dealer said send it in. I was honest and told him I was using an aftermarket ps his response was that I caused the damage. Well I knew that was from the get go. No telling what they've told me was wrong with it had I sent it in. Do you think they'd replace the mobo with the newer one for no charge? He'd of wanted me to spend 5,000 more and get the Aeon, that's the model they push. He'd most definitely given me full credit for this one (2800) I'm sure. I'm probably the only guy in America who has one of these. Haven't seen anyone else!

Dave the dealer said send it in. I was honest and told him I was using an aftermarket ps his response was that I caused the damage.
That's quite an assumption on Dave's part! He should have told you to bring both the streamer and you custom PSU in for testing before condemning the PSU out of hand like that.

Sounds like a dealer you don't want to be buying from again.

I say cheap plastic box
I have both UpTone JS2 and SBooster. Do not discount the SBooster simply 'cos it has a plasitc case. It is still a great, low noise PSU.

You can diconnect the cable that goes from the MoBo front panel header to the front panel power ON/OFF switch and try to shorten it with a screw driver or similar piece of metal (only a brief second will do). That will power up the motherboard, if the culprit is a broken front panel ON/OFF switch.
truth be told I couldn't tell a difference between the uptone and the sbooster using it with then EVO. But if EVO is using the sbooster and I see now they cut corners wherever they can is why I think it's cheap. You'd need two sbooster with the Aeon. Why couldn't they supply a dual output ps for that model. Why can't Frederick build his own ps for these? He builds his own for the evo master! So now We need two power cords and more room on our rack!

Aeon has a separate SOtM USB card (with a dedicated SOtM clock) and a second SBooster PSU (for the card). It is a much better streamer.

Of course, it only makes sense if your server is connected to your DAC via USB. If your DAC is Roon Ready and is connected to your server via Ethernet, then getting the AEON with an upgraded USB output makes no sense at all.

Compared to its rivals, i.e. Innuos, Aurender, Antipodes, Lumin etc., 432Evo AEON it is certainly a good product. I'm unable to tell you if it is worth the $5000 extra in your system.

I don't remember what it was, but a few years back I can remember having a good laugh at a gushing review of some mega-bucks streamer ($16,000 rings a bell). What was so funny? No pictures of what was inside, but the back view showed the kind of pressed metal I/O shield that comes with dirt cheap mass produced mini ATX motherboards

I don't remember what it was, but a few years back I can remember having a good laugh at a gushing review of some mega-bucks streamer ($16,000 rings a bell). What was so funny? No pictures of what was inside, but the back view showed the kind of pressed metal I/O shield that comes with dirt cheap mass produced mini ATX motherboards
According to the dealer the Aeon beats out or compares favorably with units costing upwards of 25,000. Of course we haven't heard anyone else say this, just the dealer. elberoth could elaborate, he seems to be familiar with the European audio market.

Aeon has a separate SOtM USB card (with a dedicated SOtM clock) and a second SBooster PSU (for the card). It is a much better streamer.

Of course, it only makes sense if your server is connected to your DAC via USB. If your DAC is Roon Ready and is connected to your server via Ethernet, then getting the AEON with an upgraded USB output makes no sense at all.

Compared to its rivals, i.e. Innuos, Aurender, Antipodes, Lumin etc., 432Evo AEON it is certainly a good product. I'm unable to tell you if it is worth the $5000 extra in your system.

I fail to understand what benefit a $5000 USB upgrade can provide, even if you are using it, even if it was $50. What benefit is it supposedly providing?

Of course, it only makes sense if your server is connected to your DAC via USB.
If the DAC is USB async (which basically all reasonable DACs are nowadays), then the USB-controller clock is irrelevant. Also the USB-controller power supply if the DAC has its own PSU (which again is almost always the case for reasonable DACs).

If your equipment needs a low noise PSU then your equipment is broken.

Not to mention that the idea alone of "improving" PC hardware by powering it with a linear PSU is absolutely bonkers.

BTW while we are talking about pico-PSU's ... why do these things always fail? I have had 3 pico PSU's and they all failed on me. I eventually gave up and installed an internal power supply, which has worked flawlessly ever since.

BTW while we are talking about pico-PSU's ... why do these things always fail? I have had 3 pico PSU's and they all failed on me. I eventually gave up and installed an internal power supply, which has worked flawlessly ever since.

Were they the Mini-box ones, or a clone? And if so, which clone? (or clones)

I've only had one from MiniBox and that got retired to the spares shelf without failing. Other PSU boards in various mini-itx cases have been generally fine. The only one to fail was a Morex from a second hand Via Epia 5000 machine - the original miniITX board, released 2001. It was probably >15 years old by then, in constant use since I bought it I replaced the bulging main caps and it's been fine ever since.

I had a Streacom one fail, followed by two no-name pico PSU's.

The Streacoms are rebrands of Chinese OEMs as well, or at least the models brought up earlier in this thread were. From what I've seen the Mini-box units tend to be the best-reviewed, though that does also vary from model to model. Having three of the generic ones fail is still really unlucky, though!

(and yeah, a proper TFX/SFX/ATX power supply or something like a suitable Mean-Well module do tend to be most foolproof if you have the space)

Back
Top Bottom